Toe blow for Foran adds to Bulldogs’ woes after fightback from Dragons

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury star Kieran Foran is sweating on scans of the same toe he injured in 2018 which cut short his campaign.

The Bulldogs' tough week continued in Wollongong as they blew a 12-point lead to lose in the final minute to St George Illawarra.

Dean Pay parted ways with the club at the start of the week - and now their highest-paid player could be shuffled to the sidelines after picking up an injury in the first half.

Foran had a head injury assessment after a high shot from Tariq Sims late in the first half. He passed it, but was clearly struggling as he tried to avoid a rushing Corey Norman. Foran was seen a few plays later clutching at his left boot as he got a kick away.

"I pivoted off my left foot and, as I've done that, I felt my left toe,'' Foran said.

"I had surgery on that toe in 2018 after I had snapped a few ligaments. I'll get a scan tonight, but it didn't feel good.

"I'm hoping I'm wrong with the toe and it's not as bad as I'm thinking. But it's pretty sore. And I found it was a similar feeling to when I did it in 2018. That was what worried me the most. I could be wrong.''

Foran is off-contract and, prior to the WIN Stadium setback, was happy to entertain a one-year deal to stay with the Bulldogs as a show of appreciation for splashing the cash on him during three injury-plagued seasons.

His experience and composure was sorely missed late in the game as Canterbury failed to thwart the Dragons' fightback. Marcelo Montoya tried to take a Lachlan Lewis cutout pass, knocked it on and Norman raced 40m to seal the result.

"I thought we put in a massive effort, but we kept putting ourselves under pressure, either through dropped balls or six-agains,'' Foran said.

"It eventually takes its toll on you. Had we mounted a bit more pressure down their end, we would have been right. It was hard to watch from the sidelines.''

Late in the game, interim Dogs coach Steve Georgallis must have thought he was about to celebrate the club's second win of the year in his first game in charge. The team song, which has been sung only once this season, was printed in large font on an A3 piece of paper in the hope it would be belted out.

But Dragons halfback Adam Clune's long run down field put Matt Dufty in for his second to level the scores, then Norman pounced on Montoya's error. Montoya motioned to the sideline straight afterwards that he had struggled to see while Norman sat on the southern fence and applauded himself, evoking memories of a similar celebration by former Dragon Mark Riddell.

Canterbury are this week expected to appoint Trent Barrett as their head coach for next season.

He would have liked most of what he saw from the Bulldogs but, for a moment, he must have wondered if he was better off waiting for a vacancy at his beloved Dragons as Paul McGregor's side looked set to lose.

The Dragons raced out to a 10-0 lead inside 10 minutes, including Dufty's first in just 58 seconds.

McGregor was disappointed with a 15-minute period in the first half when the Dogs scored three tries to go into the break with a 20-10 lead.

"But you take the win and those two points are priceless,'' McGregor said. "The pleasing thing is when we needed points, we found 18 points in 15 minutes.''

The Dogs must regroup for a Sunday road trip to Newcastle while the Dragons prepare for their Shire grudge match against Cronulla.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ca...own-in-defeat-to-dragons-20200718-p55da6.html

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sounds kinky

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Time to retire foz id go green/burton

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol at McGregor...when we needed points we found them.
You didn't find shit!! Lewis handed them to you on a plate with the help of Tolman and Floptoya!!

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey on the positive it’s the one injury Foran hasn’t had before

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most disappointing game. I had to go off and find some chores to do before coming and posting on the Kennel, otherwise my usual polite language would have embarrassed a wharfie.

The game was ours to lose - and we found a way. The heartbreak was that the Dogs played their best football this season, for 40 minutes; then did the Mr. Hyde and transformed back to the monster we hoped had gone away.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That's it for Foran.
Will not be at the club in 2021 & probably won't play for the dogs again.

Lewis & Wakeham to steer the ship in 2021.
God help us.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Deadset dude is made of glass it sucks. We win if he plays. Shame he can’t last. If he stays for 200-300k greats 1 year. Otherwise be gone

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fuck him off... Would rather have Benji for 1 year and make a play for Burton. That or take Lam as he's off contract