Todd Greenberg Takes on Labor, Smart or ...............

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/777c2758e0f2c81cb3fde070aaa345ff

Todd Greenberg
NRL
Todd Greenberg threatens to take NRL grand final interstate if Labor abandons stadium rebuild
Staff writers, FOX SPORTS
November 27, 2018 4:58pm

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has warned Sydney risk losing hosting rights for the grand final, if Labor chooses to scrap the stadium plans for Moore Park.

Multimple media outlets inluding The Daily Telegraph and the Brisbane Times revealed NSW Opposition leader, Michael Daley’s pledge that if elected his Government would refuse to fund a $730 million rebuild of Sydney Football Stadium at Moore Park and redirect the funds to schools and hospitals.

Such a move would void an exclusive NRL Memorandum of Understanding with the NSW Government to play grand finals in Sydney for the next 25 years.

A frustrated NRL chief executive CEO Todd Greenberg said if Allianz Stadium was not rebuilt, the agreement to play grand finals in Sydney would be compromised.

“We would have the option to take the grand final to other states,” Greenberg said.

“We want this stadiums agreement to proceed.

“We have already had strong interest from other states wanting to host the grand final.

“Our strong preference is to see the new stadiums built and to keep the grand final in NSW but clearly if the MoU is not honoured we have to consider all options.”

Allianz Stadium ahead of the final game between the Rabbitohs and the Roosters before the proposed rebuild.

Premiership deciders in rugby league have been played in Sydney since grand finals were introduced with the only exception being the 1997 Super League grand final in Brisbane.

The cost of the rebuild without government assistance would effectively send the SCG Trust broke.

The NRL’s Memorandum of Understanding requires new stadiums at Moore Park and Western Sydney and an upgrade of Sydney Olympic Park.

In return, the NRL agreed to play a grand final and State of Origin match in Sydney until 2042.

If Labor pulls the funding then State of Origin games in Sydney also risk being moved interstate.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm with him. Build the stadiums or fuck off. These are all rectangle purpose built stadiums. Built for league, no shit afl games encroaching on our turf. Needs to happen..

3rdManIn

Waterboy
Reaction score
good call by labor. i actually think the hospitals and schools should get the money and not stadiums. hopefully thats a promise they keep

also greenberg and the roosters get screwed so im all for it

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He makes a good point with respect to falling behind other cities such as Perth, Melbourne.. I mean we are the most populated city in Australia and we should expect to have the best of everything. Our taxes should be spent proportionally to other cities otherwise we're in danger of missing out on major events because of the inferior facilities

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
good call by labor. i actually think the hospitals and schools should get the money and not stadiums. hopefully thats a promise they keep

also greenberg and the roosters get screwed so im all for it
He's asking for a small share, the bulk will go to hospitals and education

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't think the NRL GF should be exclusive to Sydney/NSW at all. Get off the old NSW rules mantra already. Qld proves time and time again to be the true RL heart land.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
“We would have the option to take the grand final to other states,” Greenberg said.
STFU you bald Karmichael. Sydney still has Australia's biggest stadium :tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fuck off Greenberg..

And that's the same reply a politician will give him too.

Idle threat from the sport behind AFL, soccer, and many others.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
IF labor get elected they will hold 4 aces, Toddies will have a pair of twos.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
greedberg at it again, he has wet dreams about making money from a grand final bidding war

2026 nrl grand final, canterbury bankstown bulldogs vs st george illawarra dragons live from qatar

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Does Todd realise he's nowhere near as big/important/influential as he thinks he is?

Delusions of grandeur.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Todd realise he's nowhere near as big/important/influential as he thinks he is?

Delusions of grandeur.
I don’t get that at all from what was said? The opposition government is essentially saying they will reneg on the deal. You take your bias away and he is right to state that playing grand finals in Sydney would then be under threat. I can tell you now this is just ridiculous grand standing by Labor trying to win votes.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm missing something there, but unfortunately the MCG is the largest stadium in Australia.
Sorry, I meant biggest Rugby League stadium.

But to be fair, it was Australia's biggest stadium when it was first built.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
ANZ generates more revenue... he won't have the balls to go anywhere else. Government will call his bluff

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t get that at all from what was said? The opposition government is essentially saying they will reneg on the deal. You take your bias away and he is right to state that playing grand finals in Sydney would then be under threat. I can tell you now this is just ridiculous grand standing by Labor trying to win votes.
Take away your bias and it can be looked at as a good choice to spend money on schools and hospitals. The waiting list for surgery these days can be pretty long and the standard of education in Australia has fallen behind what it used to be. The liberal party had plans to scrap HECS funding a few years ago which would have meant that only the wealthy would be able to get degrees in most cases. If I have kids one day I'd much rather they have an equal opportunity to get a good education than being able to watch football in a fancy stadium. And it's not a secret that crowds have declined largely at live sports in recent years as wage growth dropped below the rise of living costs. To my way of thinking the Libs were aiming to grab working class votes by pledging money to stadium upgrades when they aren't really highly important for the bulk of the country.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck, I'd never thought I'd side with a LaboUr politician. Fuck Greenberg.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take away your bias and it can be looked at as a good choice to spend money on schools and hospitals. The waiting list for surgery these days can be pretty long and the standard of education in Australia has fallen behind what it used to be. The liberal party had plans to scrap HECS funding a few years ago which would have meant that only the wealthy would be able to get degrees in most cases. If I have kids one day I'd much rather they have an equal opportunity to get a good education than being able to watch football in a fancy stadium. And it's not a secret that crowds have declined largely at live sports in recent years as wage growth dropped below the rise of living costs. To my way of thinking the Libs were aiming to grab working class votes by pledging money to stadium upgrades when they aren't really highly important for the bulk of the country.
No that’s just political grand standing. Stadiums are self funding and this really a one off cost every 10-20 years. The issues with health and education won’t be fixed with that money. In fact the money lost to the state economy if we were to lose the grand final would far outweigh that cost.
Health and education have been short funded for years but saying these stadiums are where these costs should come from is short sighted as the issue is recurring funding not one off costs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Greenberg the politician is now getting a taste of his own medicine.

That being said, it would be pretty stupid for any new government to back out now after everything bad been approved and plans had been made. The SFS is in drastic need of an upgrade. If THE SCG gets upgraded then why not the SFS?

You can't have half of the rugby league teams in sydney yet not upgrade the two main stadiums once in a while.

Hospitals and schools could get a $5 billion injection and it would barely scratch the surface of fixing any of those problems.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Fuck Jewberg and fuck Labor.

Fucking cockroaches.