Official Todd Greenberg steps down as NRL CEO

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Another poster said 'the NRL have never been in a better financial position'. So why is the NRL asking for a loan? Whether it's V'Landys or Greenberg that asked for it, it's on behalf of the NRL. If they are in a great financial state then they shouldn't have to ask for a loan.
Seems clear that whilst the NRL is earning more money than it ever has before, they are wasting that money.

I mean fuck, they had a big amount put aside a while ago and if I remember correctly, they just decided to divvy it up and give it to all the clubs as some kind of present? It is laughable that an organisation that is apparently making so much money, can't survive a few months with no revenue.

It gets worse too, because of all this drama, the next TV deal will not be as rich, so the game will have a lot less revenue even when it resumes.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Peter Vlandys is doing a Donald Trump on the NRL. He is draining the swamp. Power to him.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Onto a $3 million a year contract as head of Rugby..

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Onto a $3 million a year contract as head of Rugby..
As long as the hopeless **** isn't continuing to fuck up the game I love. If rugby are stupid enough to take the useless prick on as their CEO they will be non-existent in 2 or 3 years, probably sooner.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pretty sure the AFL has been able to stand on its own 2 feet through this though.
Fact is the NRL wastes money hand over fist, this virus has just highlighted this. Greenberg was not the only pig slurping more than his share from the trough, but he is the main figurehead of this problem in our game so it's justice that his head rolls first IMO. Hopefully more hangers-on are weeded out of our game as a result, it will be beneficial in the long run.

THE AFL has secured a line of credit with banks which will allow it to operate through the coronavirus crisis.

It is believed the total amount of the loans, derived from negotiations with NAB and ANZ, is more than $500 million, and could be as high as $600 million.

WOW, we are doing well but can we have $500M

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seems clear that whilst the NRL is earning more money than it ever has before, they are wasting that money.

I mean fuck, they had a big amount put aside a while ago and if I remember correctly, they just decided to divvy it up and give it to all the clubs as some kind of present? It is laughable that an organisation that is apparently making so much money, can't survive a few months with no revenue.

It gets worse too, because of all this drama, the next TV deal will not be as rich, so the game will have a lot less revenue even when it resumes.
As already posted earlier in this thread, the NRL has not been wasting money. In fact, it is widely accepted that clubs absolutely held the NRL to ransom and DEMANDED exorbitant cuts of the pie when the last TV deal was struck.

People are completely understanding the chokehold that Fox and 9 have had since super league. The product has been massively undersold, Fox continues to lowball and strangle expansion into digital fields.

And as you stated, this is exactly the end game. The next TV deal will be pennies. You are exactly right. Why is it pennies now? Because Fox and 9 orchestrated ANOTHER attack on the game. They could not stand that TG would not bow down to them, they could not stand the establishment and significant growth in digital sectors of the game. They wanted another yes man. Enter PVL.

TLDR: Fox & 9 angry, smear campaign on Todd, strike another lowball TV deal, NRL is fucked.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Another poster said 'the NRL have never been in a better financial position'. So why is the NRL asking for a loan? Whether it's V'Landys or Greenberg that asked for it, it's on behalf of the NRL. If they are in a great financial state then they shouldn't have to ask for a loan.
Why is the NRL asking for a loan?

Have you been watching the news? Millions unemployed? Airlines folding? Oil companies on the brink of collapse? Biggest economic disaster since the Great Depression? Fox and 9 have sucked the life out of the game for 20+ years it’s a miracle we’ve even survived a week of no games.

You realise the AFL are borrowing against an entire stadium that they own?

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty sure the AFL has been able to stand on its own 2 feet through this though.
Fact is the NRL wastes money hand over fist, this virus has just highlighted this. Greenberg was not the only pig slurping more than his share from the trough, but he is the main figurehead of this problem in our game so it's justice that his head rolls first IMO. Hopefully more hangers-on are weeded out of our game as a result, it will be beneficial in the long run.
Again, you’ve been absolutely duped by the media. Expenses have NOT reason proportionately with revenue. In fact in some cases the NRL is spending SIGNIFICANLTY less. In the last 30 years Fox have refused NRL to organically grow. They have always had a vested interest in the investing activities of the game. The agenda they have pushed is as clear as day.

Please do not regurgitate what you say in the media. You are doing an incredible disservice to the game.

IMG_5581.JPG

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok so if they are making that much revenue and have such little expenses, where is the money now? Why aren't other sporting codes months away from having 0 money?

I get that the media have an agenda, trust me I do not trust Channel 9 as far as I can throw them. Yes they have more than likely tried to screw the NRL out of money where possible, but at the end of the day the NRL has to manage whatever money it has and it ultimately makes the final decision on what happens with those funds. To have nothing in the bank to survive more than a few months with no games just seems ridiculous when your profits are hundreds of millions a year.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ok so if they are making that much revenue and have such little expenses, where is the money now? Why aren't other sporting codes months away from having 0 money?

I get that the media have an agenda, trust me I do not trust Channel 9 as far as I can throw them. Yes they have more than likely tried to screw the NRL out of money where possible, but at the end of the day the NRL has to manage whatever money it has and it ultimately makes the final decision on what happens with those funds. To have nothing in the bank to survive more than a few months with no games just seems ridiculous when your profits are hundreds of millions a year.
Don't know your employment status but how would you go if income stopped for 3 months or more.
Do you recall they had around $100M spare cash just before the crisis, that seems reasonable to me considering the RLPA negotiated nearly 30% of revenue should go to players.
That's $13M in grants to each club for a total of nearly $200M each and every year. So to have have 100M left might not sound like much but it's not cheap to run one of the major sporting codes in Australia and the biggest RL comp in the world.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know your employment status but how would you go if income stopped for 3 months or more.
Do you recall they had around $100M spare cash just before the crisis, that seems reasonable to me considering the RLPA negotiated nearly 30% of revenue should go to players.
That's $13M in grants to each club for a total of nearly $200M each and every year. So to have have 100M left might not sound like much but it's not cheap to run one of the major sporting codes in Australia and the biggest RL comp in the world.

I guess hindsight is a bitch but I still think it is not unreasonable for a code this massive to have enough put away to last a year at a minimum. You can't compare it to a single person, a single person can lose their job but there is always something there to help them out. A single person does not need a year of emergency money.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As already posted earlier in this thread, the NRL has not been wasting money. In fact, it is widely accepted that clubs absolutely held the NRL to ransom and DEMANDED exorbitant cuts of the pie when the last TV deal was struck.

People are completely understanding the chokehold that Fox and 9 have had since super league. The product has been massively undersold, Fox continues to lowball and strangle expansion into digital fields.

And as you stated, this is exactly the end game. The next TV deal will be pennies. You are exactly right. Why is it pennies now? Because Fox and 9 orchestrated ANOTHER attack on the game. They could not stand that TG would not bow down to them, they could not stand the establishment and significant growth in digital sectors of the game. They wanted another yes man. Enter PVL.

TLDR: Fox & 9 angry, smear campaign on Todd, strike another lowball TV deal, NRL is fucked.
Considering that many NRL clubs have struggled to stay afloat financially, I'd argue that they deserve a decent cut of the sponsorship deals. The lion's share of money that funnels to clubs goes on player payments. From memory on top of that 30% on top of the amount players are paid is dished out to contribute to the running costs of clubs. These costs not only go towards the payment of administration, it's also meant to fund equipment and facilities required to turn players into the best athletes they can be. So for clubs struggling to keep the lights on, they may be forced to skimp on the facilities and tools that create a better class of athletes. The potential for mismanagement by club administration still exists, but the story of NRL finances tells me that financial mismanagement is happening before clubs get their hands on a dollar.

I agree with your statements that channel 9 and Fox will try to lowball the game. For this reason I would like the competitors for broadcast rights to be open about their offers. However with Murdoch owning a large portion of our media, it somewhat limits the ability of the media to be honest about things.

Greenberg was a deserving casualty of the financial mismanagement of our game. But he probably isn't the only one who should have fallen at this time. I have little faith that his departure will signal a golden era for the game.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Again, you’ve been absolutely duped by the media. Expenses have NOT reason proportionately with revenue. In fact in some cases the NRL is spending SIGNIFICANLTY less. In the last 30 years Fox have refused NRL to organically grow. They have always had a vested interest in the investing activities of the game. The agenda they have pushed is as clear as day.

Please do not regurgitate what you say in the media. You are doing an incredible disservice to the game.

View attachment 14591
Fox have been involved with the NRL since 1990 have they? Shit, that's news to me. You might have your facts wrong there eh?

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score

View attachment 14591
The Revenues vs Expenses vs Profits from various sites don't seem to match up. Like 2018 they reported a profit of $46M, yet your graph seems to have a $350M difference, what is this comprised of? https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/28/nrl-announces-$46-million-profit-for-2018/

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox have been involved with the NRL since 1990 have they? Shit, that's news to me. You might have your facts wrong there eh?
I think that's right actually. Don't you remember that famous interview in 1993 with Tina Turner and Braith Anasta?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think that's right actually. Don't you remember that famous interview in 1993 with Tina Turner and Braith Anasta?
My recollection is 1997 SuperLeague & Fox Sports, before that it was called Premier Sports or something like that.

Go Dogs

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greenturd should not have been given the position in the first place..........said "he enjoyed every minute of his time at the NRL". Then said after he was sacked, "I'm the happiest I've ever been".

Of course he would after hearing that he has now received his severance pay of $650K on the back of his contract that was worth $1.2 Million a year!

Bet all the clubs that were short changed would be happy to hear that! NOT! The guy should be under investigation for his handling of the game as CEO of the NRL.

No wonder he's laughing!