Todays Issues

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Labor's plan was good. The coalition (Turnbull) stuffed it up for the sake of saving money so the NBN is fed directly into every street rather than directly into every home, that means that gradually as more homes on the same street receive the NBN, that streets connectivity will slow down - but it won't be that noticeable for end users. That main issue lies with connectivity reliability, rather than the speed itself.

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NBN was deliberately sabotaged by the Libs on orders from Rupert to protect his monopoly on TV content through Foxtel. Subscription TV via the NBN would have been in direct competition with Foxtel and as we all know, the malignant man hates competition.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have fibre to my house wall and cant ask for more than that, never had a problem.

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
If they had of stuck with K Rudd we'd be Infront of all other countries now W carbon emissions and fibre optic communications

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
As usual it's a more complicated than many will accept but a sensationalist headline is exactly that...

Building fibre to the home was always about access to pit and pipe and building new fibre routes to get to all homes. This was always going to be very expensive and take years and the cost and timeline was originally grossly underestimated. Replacing that strategy with older / other technologies was also going to be tricky because although less expensive in the short term, the trade off is diminishing returns ie: over time everyone wants fibre to the home - so it's about when and could NBN Co. get a faster and cheaper way to give all homes access to broadband or better broadband than they had in 2013. Whilst it's more expensive to deploy and maintain multiple technologies (fibre HFC, satellite) rather than one technology (fibre) it could be done a lot faster than rolling out fibre (to the home) nationwide.

The only real political decision about the MTM strategy was the politics of winning - delivering 'a' solution ASAP. It wasn't about Murdoch or him pressuring the Libs despite all the gossip columnists saying so.
He's smart enough to know that longer term he was never going to beat the internet and News Corp would have to transition to digital. That's happened somewhat and continues to happen.

The end game for now remains fibre to the home - but how does that stack up against 5G+ wireless in terms of bandwidth and cost. I'm sure the taxpayers would've been thrilled to see fibre rolled out nationwide over say 25 years to then see a wireless technology perform better. That would've unleashed a whole other set of critics and whingers.

One thing NBN are guilty of in my view is wholesale pricing to access the network. It's always been too expensive, which means by the time the retailers add a margin, they struggle to make any money whilst trying to be competitive and that's created a fair bit of bad blood with NBN.

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is the issue with Democracy. Quick fixes and no long term planning for anything. It's all about cheap election votes every few years.

Sick of politics. The lot of them couldn't organise a root in a brothel.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is the issue with Democracy. Quick fixes and no long term planning for anything. It's all about cheap election votes every few years.

Sick of politics. The lot of them couldn't organise a root in a brothel.
They are only interested in finding any, any at all, diversionary tactic, to critiscise, pull down, demonize and offer another "wonderful, better" way if you vote for us.

They don't care whether it costs more. Just get a platform to provide an hysterical talking point.

Pink batts. Good idea in theory. Rushed roll out wasted money. 4 guys died. Libs held a Royal Commission.

Robodebt. Didn't just affect the demonised unemployed, but also young families on Family Tax Plan. Onus on the letter receiver to prove they didn't owe thousands of dollars. Stress caused 2000 people to kill themselves. Govt. admits they knew it was illegal and refund plus interest, all the money in a Court class action.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As usual it's a more complicated than many will accept but a sensationalist headline is exactly that...

Building fibre to the home was always about access to pit and pipe and building new fibre routes to get to all homes. This was always going to be very expensive and take years and the cost and timeline was originally grossly underestimated. Replacing that strategy with older / other technologies was also going to be tricky because although less expensive in the short term, the trade off is diminishing returns ie: over time everyone wants fibre to the home - so it's about when and could NBN Co. get a faster and cheaper way to give all homes access to broadband or better broadband than they had in 2013. Whilst it's more expensive to deploy and maintain multiple technologies (fibre HFC, satellite) rather than one technology (fibre) it could be done a lot faster than rolling out fibre (to the home) nationwide.

The only real political decision about the MTM strategy was the politics of winning - delivering 'a' solution ASAP. It wasn't about Murdoch or him pressuring the Libs despite all the gossip columnists saying so.
He's smart enough to know that longer term he was never going to beat the internet and News Corp would have to transition to digital. That's happened somewhat and continues to happen.

The end game for now remains fibre to the home - but how does that stack up against 5G+ wireless in terms of bandwidth and cost. I'm sure the taxpayers would've been thrilled to see fibre rolled out nationwide over say 25 years to then see a wireless technology perform better. That would've unleashed a whole other set of critics and whingers.

One thing NBN are guilty of in my view is wholesale pricing to access the network. It's always been too expensive, which means by the time the retailers add a margin, they struggle to make any money whilst trying to be competitive and that's created a fair bit of bad blood with NBN.
Are you sure, I’m hearing it’s Murdochs fault?? I’ve read it on the kennel, lol.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never really noticed much difference between when I had ADSL and when I crossed over to the NBN.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I never really noticed much difference between when I had ADSL and when I crossed over to the NBN.
Poor **** lol. What speeds do you get where you are?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Poor **** lol. What speeds do you get where you are?
Can't remember exactly, put its not overly fast. I do live out west though beyond the mountains. I'll run a speed check when I get home from work.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I get all types of speed where I live. What u after??
Yh you have the good one. I got 250/25 and get there abouts with download speeds but barely half with upload. My ping also spikes when gaming if I forget to reset my router so idk what's up with that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yh you have the good one. I got 250/25 and get there abouts with download speeds but barely half with upload. My ping also spikes when gaming if I forget to reset my router so idk what's up with that.
Do you have a static IP with the ISP?
For $5/month I’d recommend it.
NBN changes IP frequently and this can cause ping issues - tends not to happen when static.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Do you have a static IP with the ISP?
For $5/month I’d recommend it.
NBN changes IP frequently and this can cause ping issues - tends not to happen when static.
I think I remember seeing that on my account somewhere..do I need to do anything on my end of just add it to my plan and that's it?