Toby Sexton has started at Halfback in 9 games for us...

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
Technically it did but Critta also literally rolled right back up. Even on a slow replay it was all in the one motion. If he rolled to the line it would’ve been momentum that took him over.

It’s a part of an area where it’s easy for the refs to rort the game as it’s a very 50/50 decision and honestly you’ll never see any consistency in it.
If his momentum going forward and the ball touches the ground he would be deemed to have been held
and tackle completed. if not play on. I'll watch the replay tomorrow

w00t

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If his momentum going forward and the ball touches the ground he would be deemed to have been held
and tackle completed. if not play on. I'll watch the replay tomorrow
Thing is it is wildy inconsistent how they rule on that. I do think under the current rules they would generally deem that to be held

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you please elaborate on this further. I haven’t played league at any significant level so I’d like to understand this a bit more.
Our hooker has a lot of missed tackles by his stats, yet they are effective in slowing down the player, so other teammates can finish what he starts.
Is why some lament rubbish SC statistics.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Can you please elaborate on this further. I haven’t played league at any significant level so I’d like to understand this a bit more.
Our hooker has a lot of missed tackles by his stats, yet they are effective in slowing down the player, so other teammates can finish what he starts.
That's a good example, our markers move up quickly and force the opposition to change their plans, they get tackled or they stop running straight and don't make any ground. Or they have to pass too early. Or they stop, step and the attack is disjointed. The rest of our defence relies of good line speed so that if the opposition player evades the first tackle there are 2/3 players already there to smother tackle them.

Is why some lament rubbish SC statistics.
Exactly, Missed Tackles is a simplistic stat that is easy to count and understood that's why it is used in Fantasy/Supercoach.

The go to for the coaching staff these days is metres gained past the play the ball. The objective is at worst a net zero, the opposition advances 10 metres but so does our defence, the tackle is then made at the play the ball line. A negative metres gained is the bonus for fast and connected line speed.

Team First

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
Back on subject re Sexton.
From memory Sexton on coming into NRL at the Gold Coast has had only one coach
in Justin Holbrook who we would agree was a flop as a coach and did not have any input in Sextons
path to improvement. I can understand if he had a few years under, Bennett, Bellamy etc and did not improve , well no use in flogging
a dead horse so to speak. No one would pick him up.
He has now the first opportunity to be coached by an astute coach and already shown heaps of improvement.
He can only get better.

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a good example, our markers move up quickly and force the opposition to change their plans, they get tackled or they stop running straight and don't make any ground. Or they have to pass too early. Or they stop, step and the attack is disjointed. The rest of our defence relies of good line speed so that if the opposition player evades the first tackle there are 2/3 players already there to smother tackle them.

Exactly, Missed Tackles is a simplistic stat that is easy to count and understood that's why it is used in Fantasy/Supercoach.

The go to for the coaching staff these days is metres gained past the play the ball. The objective is at worst a net zero, the opposition advances 10 metres but so does our defence, the tackle is then made at the play the ball line. A negative metres gained is the bonus for fast and connected line speed.

Team First
Thanks that helps.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Back on subject re Sexton.
From memory Sexton on coming into NRL at the Gold Coast has had only one coach
in Justin Holbrook who we would agree was a flop as a coach and did not have any input in Sextons
path to improvement. I can understand if he had a few years under, Bennett, Bellamy etc and did not improve , well no use in flogging
a dead horse so to speak. No one would pick him up.
He has now the first opportunity to be coached by an astute coach and already shown heaps of improvement.
He can only get better.
In fairness to Holbrook, Sexton was horrendous at Titans.. had many opportunities and couldn't do shit.. was never a coaching issue

The difference this year is we dont rely on the halfback to score tries and setup tries like we used to. We have the freaky backline, Burton who does all the kicking, has help from Mann and Hayward and Mahoney leading way up front.

We work more as a team in 2023 and that is much better than relying on individual brilliance. It also helps Sexton ease into the role without pressures of yesteryear and it shows in his game.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What defensive weaknesses? This season:

Sexton -

Tackles made = 53
Tackles missed = 7
% of Tackles made = 88.3%

Hutchison -

Tackles made = 252
Tackles missed = 49
% of Tackles made = 83.7%

Hutchison isn't as good as a defender as people think.
And why do you reckon that is?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
In fairness to Holbrook, Sexton was horrendous at Titans.. had many opportunities and couldn't do shit.. was never a coaching issue

The difference this year is we dont rely on the halfback to score tries and setup tries like we used to. We have the freaky backline, Burton who does all the kicking, has help from Mann and Hayward and Mahoney leading way up front.

We work more as a team in 2023 and that is much better than relying on individual brilliance. It also helps Sexton ease into the role without pressures of yesteryear and it shows in his game.
It's a brilliant strategy. Point of attack comes from several players and we aren't reliant on the 7 so defenders, targetting him, is no way as effective with our team...someone else controls the play on those occasions.

w00t

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The other question that comes into play is what happens if Sexton kicks on and say we do incredibly well in the final series.

And say Woods and Oloapu completely destroy NSW Cup next year and every time they get get an opportunity in FG.

When you think about it, it’s a great problem to have and one we haven’t had since the early 2000s. I’ve always thought injuries was the reason Thurston left us as he started our 2004 season as first choice 5/8 before he got injured and Anasta was at lock

dogsofwar56

Waterboy
Reaction score
The other question that comes into play is what happens if Sexton kicks on and say we do incredibly well in the final series.

And say Woods and Oloapu completely destroy NSW Cup next year and every time they get get an opportunity in FG.

When you think about it, it’s a great problem to have and one we haven’t had since the early 2000s. I’ve always thought injuries was the reason Thurston left us as he started our 2004 season as first choice 5/8 before he got injured and Anasta was at lock
Like you said it’s good to have healthy competition in the halves and if that’s the case woods is contracted until 2027 so won’t hurt to do a couple years in NSW Cup to heal his development to put a few kgs aswell
I believe Karl will become a ball playing lock for first grade

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app

w00t

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like you said it’s good to have healthy competition in the halves and if that’s the case woods is contracted until 2027 so won’t hurt to do a couple years in NSW Cup to heal his development to put a few kgs aswell
I believe Karl will become a ball playing lock for first grade

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app
But how good is it to feel like this again? Back in 2021/22 we basically were scraping the bottom of the barrel or if we go a bit further back, the entire Kennel was celebrating Lewis simply because he could kick a basic football. Before we were going between Cogger, Lewis and Wakeham

Gould and Ciro really have done an outstanding job turning us around as quickly as they have.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Hats of to Toby, could have easily spit the dummy after not getting a start. Instead he grinded through NSW cup and has taken his chances with a fantastic attitude and is playing his role perfectly. Great clubman

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score

If Sexton is smart and knowing that he could be replaced by either Woods or Olooapu nek year it would be in his
interest to be the most attractive pick up half on the market and continue his career elsewhere in NRL and not NSW Cup.
The longer he stays in the the NRL, the better off he will be re the future

w00t

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Sexton is smart and knowing that he could be replaced by either Woods or Olooapu nek year it would be in his
interest to be the most attractive pick up half on the market and continue his career elsewhere in NRL and not NSW Cup.
The longer he stays in the the NRL, the better off he will be re the future
And lets hope that leads us to a GF win XD

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

well put it this way.. Sexton came up against the potential Blues halfback and was not outplayed... you could argue he was better over the 80... and he's still far from the finished product as a first-grader.... we might not even see Woods in fg for another year even.. Gus and Cam won't rush players.. good to have quality in the ranks definitely, but if Toby finishes the season well I reckon he kicks on.