To all the Salary Cap doubters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like most on here am still struggling to work out how we can be in so much cap trouble. This is actually my second thread about the subject in the last month. I work in the numbers game so my mind naturally is inquisitive when it comes to solving mathematical problems. Sometimes, as in this case, to the verge of driving me insane.

Anyway here is my take on it. To cut a long story short, because I myself struggle to read long posts, I believe next season is not our issue but rather 2020 is (it has been mentioned on here by others also). In 2020 we have what would be considered our most experienced and hence most expensive players all off contract. For some it is most likely also their last contract and they have been loyal to the club so that would also most likely mean extra overs.

My estimates are as follows:

- Klemmer. 4 year deal ending in 2020 worth $3m. So should look like $750k per season but more likely $400k x 3, with a back-ended deal of $1.8m (scary number)
- Jackson. similar if not exactly the same as Klemmer
- Tolman. $450k per season deal back-ended looks like $200k, $250k, then $900k
- Foran. $800k, $1m, $1.2M
- Hoppa. 3 years $2m (remember he was at Parra for $900k a season). Looks like $400k, $400k, and $1.2m
- Elliot. 3 years $1.2m. $200k, $200k, $800k.

Based on these 6 players only they would be taking $7.7m of the full cap. If you add that we are also paying Mbye and Woods at least $300k that would mean effectively $8m for 6 players. So you would need to fill 24 other spots for $1.6m. Which is impossible. Based on minimum $100k players that's 16 players so we are still 8 players, or $800k short. Even if these figures are slightly inflated I think you can see the trend.

The reason I believe this to be about right is because all these players were signed by the previous board and if history is an accurate gage for the future then look no further than Graham, last year $1m, Eastwood, last year $800k, and the Morris Twins, both on close to $1m each last year of contract.

I think the current boards plan is to pay forward this year and next year as much as possible, just to be able to be cap compliant in 2020. Cap compliant. Not in the market for marquee players. I think the aim is to field a team worth $6-7m next season and forward pay $2-3m to 2020 to give us a chance.

I pity everyone at the club who is having to deal with this mess, created with the sole objective of 2 Premierships before 2019. I pity us supporters who have been robbed and played for fools even more.

Apologies for the long post, but my wife won't listen to my Bulldogs whinging anymore, plus she is shit at maths, although she makes up for it with her long legs, blonde hair and blue eyes. Thanks for picking up the slack my beloved Doggie supporters.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like most on here am still struggling to work out how we can be in so much cap trouble. This is actually my second thread about the subject in the last month. I work in the numbers game so my mind naturally is inquisitive when it comes to solving mathematical problems. Sometimes, as in this case, to the verge of driving me insane.

Anyway here is my take on it. To cut a long story short, because I myself struggle to read long posts, I believe next season is not our issue but rather 2020 is (it has been mentioned on here by others also). In 2020 we have what would be considered our most experienced and hence most expensive players all off contract. For some it is most likely also their last contract and they have been loyal to the club so that would also most likely mean extra overs.

- Klemmer. 4 year deal ending in 2020 worth $3m. So should look like $750k per season but more likely $400k x 3, with a back-ended deal of $1.8m (scary number)
- Hoppa. 3 years $2m (remember he was at Parra for $900k a season). Looks like $400k, $400k, and $1.2m

Based on these 6 players only they would be taking $7.7m of the full cap. If you add that we are also paying Mbye and Woods at least $300k that would mean effectively $8m for 6 players. So you would need to fill 24 other spots for $1.6m. Which is impossible. Based on minimum $100k players that's 16 players so we are still 8 players, or $800k short. Even if these figures are slightly inflated I think you can see the trend.

The reason I believe this to be about right is because all these players were signed by the previous board and if history is an accurate gage for the future then look no further than Graham, last year $1m, Eastwood, last year $800k, and the Morris Twins, both on close to $1m each last year of contract.

I think the current boards plan is to pay forward this year and next year as much as possible, just to be able to be cap compliant in 2020. Cap compliant. Not in the market for marquee players. I think the aim is to field a team worth $6-7m next season and forward pay $2-3m to 2020 to give us a chance.

I pity everyone at the club who is having to deal with this mess, created with the sole objective of 2 Premierships before 2019. I pity us supporters who have been robbed and played for fools even more.

Apologies for the long post, but my wife won't listen to my Bulldogs whinging anymore, plus she is shit at maths, although she makes up for it with her long legs, blonde hair and blue eyes. Thanks for picking up the slack my beloved Doggie supporters.
My head hurts! So in short your wife is a stunner!

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Appreciate the effort man but with all due respect it’s sophisticated guesswork

Nobody knows the numbers apart from the Board, CEO and Coach
Agreed. I'm not saying that this is accurate. All I am saying is that this makes sense. Otherwise if anyone looks at our current roster there is no way we are over the cap or close to it. But this explains how we could be.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your good with speculative math work.. how many more points will we accrue on the competition ladder this season

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Yeah good work.
I would think Hoppa would be $400k to $500k max. No way would he contract be worth that much.
Elliott on $400k a season, please no that can't be true!! Surely $250K a season max.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Hot Dog. I have had trouble understanding how in hell we could still have cap problems following the departures of Reynolds, Graham, Kasiano, MBye, both Josh and Brett Morris and the non-renewal of Eastwood. The back ended deals you describe is sound logic and explains away the crisis. I don’t blame Hasler as much as the breach of duty of the former Chairman and CEO for allowing it to happen. I just hope we don’t lose our good emerging talent in the process of righting the ship.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No point speculating when we don't know the books, YES players are on back ended contracts but the figures we do not know, lets just all come to terms with us being screwed until 2021 and in the mean time either prepare for more pain or go and find another sport to support until we are back on even par lol

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I agree, they can’t all be on third year spikes plus there is TPAs to consider

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Post a pic of your wife Hot Dog.

U owe us

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

But KiwiDog7, what if a board member tells one of us, shall we tell you guys or keep quiet about it.

Two scenarios:

1. We blab it out on this forum and we get smashed by people like Mr I saying no one knows what players are earning or the board are feeding us lies, or:

2. We keep quiet about it and laugh at all the guess work on this Forum.

Which option is best KiwiDog7?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@Hot Dog

Hate to see the long story, if your post is the short version. :tongueclosed:

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
But KiwiDog7, what if a board member tells one of us, shall we tell you guys or keep quiet about it.

Two scenarios:

1. We blab it out on this forum and we get smashed by people like Mr I saying no one knows what players are earning or the board are feeding us lies, or:

2. We keep quiet about it and laugh at all the guess work on this Forum.

Which option is best KiwiDog7?
are you saying Elliott is on $400K a season?

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Despite the speculative math I agree with what your point is, though I hope you're wrong.
If those 6 players were signed by the previous Administration there's no reason to doubt that their contracts would be structured similarly to the other back ended, ratchet claused contracts which has brought the club into this mess.

Born&BredABulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If that math is correct or close to, we will be fucked by the NRL for cap noncompliance because there is no way 24 spots being filled for 1.6m is possible and if held onto all these players again no way we are cap compliant.

Say good bye to any competitive team till 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.