To all the people saying dogs got the wrong assistant.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously, Salmon is good in defence but he offers nothing fucking else. Mann, Morrin, Preston and even Hayward have more upside in attack than salmon and provide the same level of defence, I just don't get the obsession with Salmon

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Tracey is just down to injury

I haven't completely forgiven Ciraldo yet for Perham for 17 FUCKING ROUNDS!!!! The moment he drops Salmon completely, I'll forgive him
Hopefully he is good to go on Friday and is picked at FB.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Seriously, Salmon is good in defence but he offers nothing fucking else. Mann, Morrin, Preston and even Hayward have more upside in attack than salmon and provide the same level of defence, I just don't get the obsession with Salmon
He was a liability at lock earlier in the season and the team has thrived without him in the role in recent weeks.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He was a liability at lock earlier in the season and the team has thrived without him in the role in recent weeks.
Defence wise?

Tigers made a break past Hutchison on the weekend because Salmon didn't push up with the line and was caught daydreaming

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Defence wise?

Tigers made a break past Hutchison on the weekend because Salmon didn't push up with the line and was caught daydreaming
I was talking about his attack but he has definitely been caught out quite a few times in defence too. Got caught out twice against the Storm with both moments leading to points. At best he's a utility odd the bench but even then I'd prefer other options.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll say this about the Warriors before I compare the coaches.
They can cruise along going decently year after year. Having incredible games tossed in with solid games and absolute shit shows. But there's been a few times that new coaches have taken over. They've smashed into the finals and looked like a genuine title threat. But almost inevitably the following year, some part of their mentality won't equate the hard work with the previous years success and they'll follow an incredible year with a shit one. I assume that the biggest struggle for Warriors coaches is keeping their minds on the game.

Given that we're talking about Cleary's former assistants, the last coach I recall having the Warriors consistently threatening was Cleary himself. He pulled a lot of youngsters out of the lower grades and they looked like experienced NRL players. Kept the established players working IMO.

But as others have mentioned, the two coaches landed with vast differences in roster quality.

NZ - Had a handful of classy outside backs. An aging but in form SJ. They had a pack that can dominate (we're loving Curren and he wasn't even an incumbent there). And they were pretty settled. I think a lot of Dogs fans would've happily borrowed their roster last year.

CB - We had a handful of good outside backs. A forward pack with enough lazy bastards to make life difficult. Our fullback was sluggish in attack and our halfback got 2/3 of the way through the season without a try assist. We also had a horrible injury list on top of that.

So it's unfair to judge yet. Ciraldo is showing big improvement and Webster has succumbed to the typical great year, shit year syndrome that is the warriors habit. But it's a long race. How they progress with their respective teams will be what they should be judged on.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Webster getting a career year from Shaun Johnson was huge.

Imagine how good we would be going if we had Johnson circa 2023 in our team at present.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I might be jumping the gun with the Webster second year syndrome theory but it’s a possibility. In 2008 the Roosters finished 4th coached by Freddie in his rookie season. The following year they got the wooden spoon.
It's a Warriors thing. They can do middle of the pack for extended periods. But I think when they get a new coach they work hard. They get results but by the time the next preseason rolls up they forget that hard work precluded success.

Still 4-4. Unwarranted cockiness
I don't think anyone is getting ridiculously cocky. I wasn't expecting to be in the 8 at this stage and I know we've got to keep improving to hold onto that spot or climb. But celebrating a bit and being positive are a nice change.

At any time something might happen to throw a spanner in the works. Could go from a really positive season to disappointing with a twisted knee, a pec injury etc. enjoy the feeling of hope while we've got it.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see an obsession with Salmon, he's just handy to have atm because our team hasn't turned up for a full season in years.. we have stared the season well for our standards, but it's a long year, and those experienced guys will all help lift the rest of the squad as we go deeper into the season.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll say this about the Warriors before I compare the coaches.
They can cruise along going decently year after year. Having incredible games tossed in with solid games and absolute shit shows. But there's been a few times that new coaches have taken over. They've smashed into the finals and looked like a genuine title threat. But almost inevitably the following year, some part of their mentality won't equate the hard work with the previous years success and they'll follow an incredible year with a shit one. I assume that the biggest struggle for Warriors coaches is keeping their minds on the game.

Given that we're talking about Cleary's former assistants, the last coach I recall having the Warriors consistently threatening was Cleary himself. He pulled a lot of youngsters out of the lower grades and they looked like experienced NRL players. Kept the established players working IMO.

But as others have mentioned, the two coaches landed with vast differences in roster quality.

NZ - Had a handful of classy outside backs. An aging but in form SJ. They had a pack that can dominate (we're loving Curren and he wasn't even an incumbent there). And they were pretty settled. I think a lot of Dogs fans would've happily borrowed their roster last year.

CB - We had a handful of good outside backs. A forward pack with enough lazy bastards to make life difficult. Our fullback was sluggish in attack and our halfback got 2/3 of the way through the season without a try assist. We also had a horrible injury list on top of that.

So it's unfair to judge yet. Ciraldo is showing big improvement and Webster has succumbed to the typical great year, shit year syndrome that is the warriors habit. But it's a long race. How they progress with their respective teams will be what they should be judged on.
I agree the warriors phenomenon of going from world beaters to looking like wooden spooners almost overnight has been a problem at the club since inception and has nothing to do with Webster IMO. Trying to draw a comparison between the two is a waste of time IMO because we will never know how they would have performed if their roles had been reversed. Both are good coaches but probably for very different reasons.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think I get wat thread is about. Aimed at the posters who were so vocal and constant in there abuse of Ciro. If that’s the case I get it, as was becoming toxic with there in depth nrl knowledge lol. Whilst we haven’t achieved much yet, you can clearly see the next period is exciting and we are on the up and up. All on back of Ciro
Yeah, that's how I took this thread.
And I agree, I fucking hated reading all those negative comments about Cc, Burton, and Gould
It was constant and misguided.
It grated on me but I decided to ignore it.
You can't argue with stupid

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Still 4-4. Unwarranted cockiness
Exactly right.
I can't speak for anyone else. But for me, I went into this season mentally understanding we didn't have a complete squad capable of contesting.
But I was expecting us to be better than last year.
So for I'm being proven right.
I still expect us to finish the season closer to the bottom than the top.
And I'm OK with that.
I expect constant growth every year.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don't need to compare Ciro and Webster. We tried Barrett remember! Webster's a good coach, but he'll have to work out some different options. Other teams are targeting Johnson in defence, he's making near 20 tackles a game and missing heaps as well. For someone who's never liked defence, that's a lot of work. He's also their only kicker -he's kicked 5km for the season and the nearest Warrior is 150m. The workload is affecting his game and the team.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I, and a lot of others think that Salmon has been really good. If he is dropped, just who do the "experts" on here
want in his place?

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like salmon, he is part of our team and from panthers system. I don’t really wanna Change the team to much they are all comfortable together, even with Hutchinson I am worried swapping him out might change things for the worst. We made the gf with Keating, this team is very similar to 2012. But our Ben barba is kikau.
If 2009 and 2012 had a baby then 2024 would be that.. we are in every game minus the eels one and probably should have beat Rabbitohs and storm. If we did we’d be sitting on 14 points ..

I think if Tracey wins we may win, dogs always win when we’re not given a chance. Betting odds 5-1 . I like those odds

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think with more time, fewer injury concerns and greater NRL standard depth, Ciro’s value is surfacing and his patience is paying off…. we’re getting into our groove, executing systems better, there’s genuine NRL experience and belief and whilst we only brought over one bonafide superstar, there’s effort players in our system complementing him (and the wider team).

He’s a good coach, still a few bridges to cross before we can call him a great coach, I think the word “great” comes with a premiership but what he’s done with half the quality of most other teams has been very impressive.

The issue with the Kennel and our fan base is it only takes 1 or 2 losses in a row and toys get thrown out of the cot. We’re playing 3 time premiers at there home ground this week, win, draw or lose, it will be interesting to see how we view the world.