To all of you who wanted Hasler gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's be clear about something here. This all came about because of your comments about the wonderful efforts of Hasler and Dymock and how Hasler ripped into the players when they stuffed up. that presumes that Pay doesn't do that - which is wrong based on his experience as an assistant coach and coach of the Origin Under 20's successfully. I love the selective use of stats to boost an argument. Hasler won a couple of comps with one team in a single period - that's it. He didn't win any comps with us in 6 years so let's talk about that shall we. Not only did he not win any but last year was one of the worst performances by our club in the past 40 years and we can't overlook the fact that Hasler had complete and total control of the playing roster, admin roster and coaching staff for the entire period. Unlike Pay who has been left to pick up the pieces and try and put a competitive side together.

Hasler didn't drop any players no matter how badly they played and his excuse was there was no-one better in the lower grades than those in FG, but just who recruited ALL the lower grade players. That's right the second greatest coach of the past 10 years that's who. Got an eye for talent that bloke hasn't he. Still, if he hadn't destroyed our salary cap we may still been able to recover - but no this same great coach buggered that as well.

Still Pay has been in charge for 2 games so it should be entirely his fault and not Des' nor Dymocks who just sat in the corner for those same 6 years filling up water bottles apparently. See that's the trouble with being an old man - you've seen it and heard it all before.
Well said but I fear you are wasting your time with this bloke

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Would have won it without Barba? I know you don’t like Batba but that is quite the call. I don’t think our success was all foEn yo Barbs that year, but he played a huge part in it. I think we’d still have gone ok without him but don’t think we’d have made the grand final without him. Let alone won it.

Having said that, I think Hasler did pretty well in the first few seasons. 2012 was a good year, 2013 everything went wrong and 2014 was a good year batting that post origin lul which we didn’t really snap out of until the finals....It’s only in recent years I feel he totally lost the plot.

One thing is certain, I’m not sorry he’s gone.

He had complete control of the club and the longer he was here, the further downhill we went.

I think he’s a control freak and that would be all good and well if he had the right ideas, but I think in the latter half of his term he consistently had the wrong ones and was too inflexible and stubborn to change.

I’ll give Pay time to see what he can do...and if he doesn’t turn out to be right for us, I think we should look forward and not back.

But I do agree he he had a decent start st the club. I think his finish was terrible though. Truly, I do. Things went a bit pear shaped.
no we would have won it in 2012 if barba wasnt involved, its the biggest myth about the bulldogs that we had an incredible attack in 2012 and thats why we won all the games

that season was the 8th best bulldogs attacking season since the nrl started, like why doesnt anybody talk ever about our 2009 attack which scored more points?

but it was by far the best defensive season weve had, with a non luxury fullback we would have won all those games and then we wouldnt have a fullback who made crucial mistakes in the grand final by not attacking the ball

think 2014 with no origin period and no ennis injury in the grand final, like how they went down to melbourne and destroyed them in elimination football

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
no we would have won it in 2012 if barba wasnt involved, its the biggest myth about the bulldogs that we had an incredible attack in 2012 and thats why we won all the games

that season was the 8th best bulldogs attacking season since the nrl started, like why doesnt anybody talk ever about our 2009 attack which scored more points?

but it was by far the best defensive season weve had, with a non luxury fullback we would have won all those games and then we wouldnt have a fullback who made crucial mistakes in the grand final by not attacking the ball

think 2014 with no origin period and no ennis injury in the grand final, like how they went down to melbourne and destroyed them in elimination football
It may not have been our best attacking season collectively, but Barba’s individual brilliance provided or contributed a lot of those points, man. He scored so many key tries for us in that season.

I’m not saying that was all him... a huge part of it was inventive forward play which gave him space and opportunity. Reynolds created a lot that year and J Moz has a great year (although a lot of his points were off the back of a great combination between he and Barba)... I get that.... but I still think Barba provided the raw X factor we needed in attack that year....

I get that our d was great that year, but I don’t think d alone gets you there. You need to do something in attack and the major ingredients of our attacking success that year were a ball playing forward oriented game plan that caught opposition teams off guard... and a never to be matched (at least by him) brilliant individual season from Barba.

I get that in 2014 we found enough points to get there without Barba, but I think his ability to create from the back was vital for us in 2012. He also slotted in and played an important ball playing role.

Last edited:

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Really???????
Did you know that des hand picked this team?
Said no to Munster,
Said no Latrell ,
Let go off barba, Pritchard, funucain and keept T-Rex.
Des also said tolman is the best forward in the game,
How about almost killing the careers of Mbye and Lichaa?
And stats everything was about stats and not play what’s infront of you.

YEAH YOUR RIGHT WE WERE WRONG ABOUT DES :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: , please stay of the drugs .
SPOT ON.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay will be lucky to last the year! Gone from 2nd best defense to the worst. Must be all tea and biscuits at training, they look so unfit. Lichaa looks slow and heavy. The only forward busting a nut is Jackson.
What a dumb comment. You have no clue.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That is a cop out. There are no excuses for their defensive efforts. Bellamy would fix the defense, along with several other coaches in the game. Taylor had screwed the Tigers last year and Cleary has them beating the 2 favourites of the comp this year through their defense.
You have no clue. Is that Des?

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I watch every game every week. How many do you watch? They are missing Graham in defense. Fitter and stronger? They are not as fit as the other sides. New Combinations? Explain the tigers efforts, they have more new players, with more new combinations than the dogs. It starts in defense. The players have said how "relaxing" training has been with Pay. Average player, average coach.
Cleary bought the players he wanted. Our cap is screwed because of Des Dibb & Co. We are rebuilding. Pay may have money next year if he makes some tough calls on Eastwood, the Morris boys, Tolman (if somone buys him) & Frawley. And he will have money when we stop paying for Graham and Kasiano. See the forrest through the trees.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Watching is not the same as understanding. My missus sits in front of the TV when the footy is on and wouldn't have a clue what it is. I've been going to Dogs games since the 60's. did you come over to Perth to actually support them or did you just sit in your cave and "watch"? Graham is ordinary and has been for a couple of years. Not his fault. He is just getting older.

Why do I have to explain the Tigers efforts? Couldn't care less about them. I only care about my team, but I will point out that Cleary has been a head coach for over 10 years and took over the Tigers in mid-2017 which gave him the chance to see who would respond to his methods on the field and who wouldn't. Pay hasn't had that opportunity yet.

So now you've decided he was an average player, despite 10 years of FG, Origin and International play. I guess that demonstrates just how poor your judgement is. He may well end up missing as a coach and if he does I'm sure you will be there to tell the world you were right. Me, I'm going to keep backing him until he has had a chance to get things in place.
Finally someone with common sense who understands.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Keep throwing insults old man. I mentioned the tigers because you used "new combinations" as a point. So i asked you to explain the tigers situation because they have more new players and new combinations? Why sack a proven fg coach, (the 2nd most successful in the last 10 years) for a rookie? Because i dont agree with your theory i must not understand the game. Pffft. We heard of the "mongrel" coming back under Pay, he never had much mongrel when he played. Plenty more dogs players had more mongrel them him, and most of them smaller than he was too.
Stupid comment re Pay. You have no clue

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The players have been exposed you think? but our possession has been atrocious, losing the ball at crucial times. Maybe if pay highlights the importance of ball possession to the players and makes them accountable we might have a better chance.

Des was huge on possession but went too far with the 5th tackle option..

It seems Pay has overlooked little things like possession and defence
When you play expansive footy mistakes happen and completion rates suffer. Such a smart comment re Pay re ball handling.
Do you not think that he isnt happy with the performances? Are you that clueless? New structures in defence and attack will take time to adjust to.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hasler inherited a club who were minor premiers in all grades the year before. He went down hill from there simple as that. Only made grand final on back of Barba.
Pretty sure we missed the 8 in 2011

Hasler arrived 2012

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When you play expansive footy mistakes happen and completion rates suffer. Such a smart comment re Pay re ball handling.
Do you not think that he isnt happy with the performances? Are you that clueless? New structures in defence and attack will take time to adjust to.
WTF are you talking about 'expansive football??? ' Is this a buzz word for playing a fast passing game in a team structure?

Isn't that what rugby league is all about?

I can't decide if you're more a tool or a fool

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
my message to all of you who wanted hasler gone ...

You were wrong !!!!
At least under Pay we have some hope of change for the better. Under stubborn Des nothing was ever going to change so we had NO HOPE of being anything other than average. I'd rather see the team take a few risks even if we get beat. Desball was unwatchable. Was it worth paying Des $1.2M a year just to make up the numbers at the end of every year or even worse as we were last year ?

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
WTF are you talking about 'expansive football??? ' Is this a buzz word for playing a fast passing game in a team structure?

Isn't that what rugby league is all about?

I can't decide if you're more a tool or a fool
Are you blind? What type of footy did we play with Hasler? You were one of many whingers on here going on and on about Hasler and his gumb style of play. Pay has had 2 games. Yes he is trying to get our guys to throw the ball around and the nature of the game once you do that is that errors occur. So WTF are you on about. Stop whinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.