Official Titans sack Garth Brennan effective immediately.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gold Coast Titans identify frontline contender to replace Garth Brennan
The Titans have identified Kevin Walters as a frontline contender to replace sacked Garth Brennan despite the Queensland Origin coach insisting he is committed to the Maroons.

The Courier-Mail understands the Titans have Walters firmly on their hit list and will immediately shortlist the Broncos legend if he is prepared to parlay his Origin successes with the Maroons to the NRL arena.

Titans culture-and-performance chief Mal Meninga will table his review to the Gold Coast board today before club bosses begin ramping-up the search for Brennan’s successor.

Despite Walters’ passion for the Queensland Origin team, he remains in the sights of Titans powerbrokers.

Walters is reluctant to publicly spruik his claims for an NRL coaching job after the machinations of two years ago, when he was urged not to apply for the Titans post following the sacking of Neil Henry and instead aim to become Wayne Bennett’s successor at the Broncos.

Walters was subsequently left shattered when he missed out on the Broncos job to Anthony Seibold, leaving him wary of formally applying for any NRL position.

If the Titans want their man, they will have to make the first move to secure Walters, who has done a fine job with the Queensland Origin team, winning two of four series and blooding 21 debutants during his 12-game tenure.

Walters is contracted to the Queensland Rugby League until the end of 2020 and, with no formal approach from the Titans thus far, is content in his current role with the Maroons.

“I’m very happy in my role with the Queensland Rugby League and there’s more I want to achieve with the Maroons,” Walters said.

“I don’t know where all the speculation has come from (linking him to the Titans post), it certainly wasn’t driven by me.

“I’m contracted with Queensland for another year and after the disappointment of this year (Queensland’s 2-1 series loss to NSW in the Origin decider last Wednesday night), I want to keep taking the Maroons forward.

“I’ve overseen a lot of change with our program in the last four years, I’ve brought through a lot of new faces, and I love working with a great group of Queensland players led by Kalyn Ponga, Daly Cherry-Evans and Cameron Munster.

“I’m very happy with Queensland so that’s my focus at this stage.”

Well-placed sources have told The Courier-Mail the Titans regard Walters as a “very strong candidate”. He has a 30-year association with Meninga dating back to their days at the Canberra Raiders with both having since coached the Maroons to Origin glory.

Walters turns 52 in October and the sacking of Brennan was regarded as a now-or-never moment for the Broncos legend to finally realise his long-held ambition of becoming an NRL head coach.

History shows very few coaches make their debut in the NRL beyond the age of 50, but Walters says he isn’t as desperate to become a club coach as some would believe.

“I’d like to coach in the NRL one day, but I’m not going to chase any gig that comes along,” he said.

“I’m very happy in my current role and if I don’t become an NRL coach, that’s fine.

“I’ve got other things in my life, I’m enjoying my media work with Fox Sports on top of my role with the Queensland Origin team, so I’m happy to bide my time and see which opportunities come up.”

The Titans must decide whether to chase an experienced coach or an NRL greenhorn.

Souths assistant Jason Demetriou and Ipswich co-coaches Ben and Shane Walker were interviewed two years ago by Titans bosses, only to lose out to Brennan.

Demetriou is being groomed to succeed Wayne Bennett at South Sydney, while the Walkers recently met with Titans culture chief Mal Meninga to discuss their philosophies on the game.

Sacked Panthers coach Anthony Griffin is one experienced option on the market, while Jim Dymock, Roosters assistant Adam O’Brien and St Helens mentor Justin Holbrook have also been mentioned.

Other possible candidates include former Manly coaches Trent Barrett and Geoff Toovey, the latter of whom took the Sea Eagles to a grand final in 2013.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...b/news-story/cad7f7146739dfef5fdc90486b1af957

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just rebrand and relocate this team to Perth for the greater good of the comp and have a second team in Brisbane when they expand to 18 teams in 35 years time as part of their "plan"..

I can see the Titans signing Demetriou or someone. Either way, that club is poison. They've been afforded every luxury and have been propped up by the NRL their whole existence and keep completely fucking it up. They get horrible crowds and every Gold Coast team has been a failure with the Giants, Seagulls, Chargers and now Titans.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Walters will still end up at the Titans and is just playing hard ball and wants big coin for walking away from Origin to eat the shit sandwich at the Titans.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think Walters will still end up at the Titans and is just playing hard ball and wants big coin for walking away from Origin to eat the shit sandwich at the Titans.
Walker Brothers?
Coach of SC Falcons?

or maybe they'll go with a newbie in O'Brien or Demetriou.

But I feel Titans need to make the right choice on this one as if they fail again the franchise could be done.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bottom of the ladde for just a day and they sack the coach!!! They move fast

Last edited:

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bottom of the ladder just for just a day and sack the coach!!! They move fast
He was always going to get sacked because of their performance.

I think his stats at the Titans is 14 from 40.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Yep, he did wonders as the Raiders' coach - NOT!
Melonhead Meninga is a downhill skier- he will no doubt make himself seen in the media every time the Tits jag a win before seasons end and pretend he is the mastermind behind it. When they cop a rogering he will make himself scarcer than a Pommy at bath-time.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Be good if they could get Walters they probably want a Qld coach to drive the culture. Toovey might be a good fit for them also.