Timeframe of Success

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think 2019 if we make the 8 we have overachieved. this is based on not getting too much from Foran. if he surprises I'll expect top 8.

2020 probably not a big difference as we really don't have cap to fill gaps, but with extra exp in players such as Lewis and Smith and maybe a breakout from Ogden or Toomaga I think bottom of the 8 should be expected.

it'll be 21/22 before we compete for top 4 and title.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2022/23 for a gf or 21 for final 8. Salary cap normalizes in 2021 so we can begin our recruitment of marquees in nov 1st 2020. Next 2 seasons is about us unearthing half a dozen juniors who are actually talented rugby league players.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The salary cap, the cheating of the salary cap, and referees and NRL bias and errors makes winning a grand final very difficult. One only has to look at the Roosters who seem to do everything right and have all the luck and they have only won 3 grand finals in the past 40 years. This despite how many minor premierships. This years grand final was the most boring I have ever watched. I watched it reluctantly to start with. Based on this winning the Grand Final is not the pinnacle for me in NRL anymore. Although I have been fortunate to have watched my team win 6 grand finals which makes it easier to say that.

I look at rugby league differently since Des and Dib slowly destroyed the soul of my great club, and Greenburg has turned the NRL into a joke.

This year has been my favourite as a Bulldogs supporter since 2012. My highlights were:
- Beating the Dragons 38-0 (was at the game)
- Beating the Warriors with a Lewis field goal in the last minute (was at the game)
- Finally playing some exciting footy, albeit only at certain times, but improving as the year went on
- Finally having a goal kicker again. The best in the comp. Again.
- A new coach with a new direction
- A new board who seem to put the club above their personal agenda
- Unearthing some new talent
- Getting rid of some dead Wood
- Watching a group of blokes who want to fight for the club and have pride in the jersey.

As long as we beat the Dragons, finish ahead of Parra, and play tough for 80 minutes in every game then I am happy and will consider it a successful year. Making finals and winning a grand final is just a bonus. The only one thing I wish for even more than winning a grand final is a true superstar in our team. This is the one thing we have lacked since Barba left. My little boys favourite player is still Curtis Rona and that says something. Klemmer and Jackson are great, but they are hard working forwards, not exciting game breakers. When you look back at the players we have had in the past we have truly been blessed and I yearn for another. Fingers crossed Lewis could be the next one.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The salary cap, the cheating of the salary cap, and referees and NRL bias and errors makes winning a grand final very difficult. One only has to look at the Roosters who seem to do everything right and have all the luck and they have only won 3 grand finals in the past 40 years. This despite how many minor premierships. This years grand final was the most boring I have ever watched. I watched it reluctantly to start with. Based on this winning the Grand Final is not the pinnacle for me in NRL anymore. Although I have been fortunate to have watched my team win 6 grand finals which makes it easier to say that.

I look at rugby league differently since Des and Dib slowly destroyed the soul of my great club, and Greenburg has turned the NRL into a joke.

This year has been my favourite as a Bulldogs supporter since 2012. My highlights were:
- Beating the Warriors with a Lewis field goal in the last minute (was at the game)
- Finally playing some exciting footy, albeit only at certain times, but improving as the year went on
- Watching a group of blokes who want to fight for the club and have pride in the jersey.

As long as we beat the Dragons, finish ahead of Parra, and play tough for 80 minutes in every game then I am happy and will consider it a successful year. Making finals and winning a grand final is just a bonus. The only one thing I wish for even more than winning a grand final is a true superstar in our team. This is the one thing we have lacked since Barba left. My little boys favourite player is still Curtis Rona and that says something. Klemmer and Jackson are great, but they are hard working forwards, not exciting game breakers. When you look back at the players we have had in the past we have truly been blessed and I yearn for another. Fingers crossed Lewis could be the next one.
I'm with you 100%
As long as the boys are competitive in every game it will be a good year, this being said, I also think we will be in the finals next year and though probably not getting to the grand, we will certainly put in a good showing.
Also,
Our deal with country rugby will definitely bear fruit in time...

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m sick of hearing about the club and its plans. All nonsense.

If we are serious about being a threat, then we should look at 2020 and 2021. You will know if we look like turning the corner based on the kids coming through the grades.

We won’t win a competition unless we are a threat for atleast a season or 2. That’s how we roll.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I belive we will finish 7th-8th
If pay doesn’t make the 8 then he is gone
50% of games this era is won on attitude and hunger
The only position we lack is hooker and one centre
They should be rectified before round one

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The more I read this, the more I agree with you. Especially the point about best I have felt since 2012 about our style of footy.

Realistically - we won't be competitive again next year, in the way of fighting for a top 8 spot. I think our ceiling is 7th, but that is with a helluvlot of optimism. If you look at teams overall, we have probably have the most improved roster

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I belive we will finish 7th-8th
If pay doesn’t make the 8 then he is gone
50% of games this era is won on attitude and hunger
The only position we lack is hooker and one centre
They should be rectified before round one
We lack alot more than just one centre and a hooker.

2019 team is a weaker team than 2018

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people seem to forget that we played almost the whole season with not one decent half and we are underestimating what even just having Lewis there does for the team.. Just remember how many games we lost by less than a converted try. We were in most of our games this year, but without halves, even the best teams will struggle for points.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we all jumping gun a little early on this one. Ill be back to tell everyone what i think about round 15 next year. Im a deano fan but ill put that aside for a performance based judgement down track. Im rooting for him. But i also want to win gf in next few years too.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think a lot of people seem to forget that we played almost the whole season with not one decent half and we are underestimating what even just having Lewis there does for the team.. Just remember how many games we lost by less than a converted try. We were in most of our games this year, but without halves, even the best teams will struggle for points.
We will be without halves in 2019 once again, barring Lewis, and unless Cogger brings his development forward a couple of years it will be the same shit

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We will be without halves in 2019 once again, barring Lewis, and unless Cogger brings his development forward a couple of years it will be the same shit
One half is better than none.. if Lewis can lead us to victories over top 8 teams in only his first few games in the top grade, I like to think much of those tight games we will be on the positive side of the scoreboard next year.. Smith, Martin and co weren't there for much of the year either, those guys added to our attack.

Defence is going to be the question, the Morris combo is one of the best defensive edges in the comp, so that's a huge hole

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need luck to win the comp with injuries etc! I think making the top is now the same
Looking at this years 8
Roosters will be there about again (backing up a premiership is so hard in recent times)
Storm will come back to the field
Souths prob there abouts (although I think teams will figure out to stop there forwards)
Cronulla I thought we’re lucky to get in the top 4 and I feel they will drop
Warriors up one year down the next
Penrith I think all the woohah about ivan Cleary is to secretly give the board some power to get rid of Gus (apparently Maloney wants out! Cleary has been dealing with the board and not Gus)
Brisbane Last year of Bennett who knows what will happen
St George like warriors up one year down the next
Titans a lot of pressure again on Ash Taylor to carry them
Raiders if Hodson stays healthy should make 8 but have lost some big boppers up front
Newcastle I think will make the 8 some good signings
Parra media will be on them all year and I see another poor season (plus I hate them so happy to see them with soon)
Manly technically don’t have a coach after July lol
Wests Tigers all year more coaching speculation with Penrith/Cleary deal plus there forward roster is not great in my opinion
Cowboys lose JT and get Barba and Morgan May sneak up the ladder as opposition may not see them as a threat

Competition again will be wide open.
In regards to us Morris boys are a big loss more experience and defence
Foran is the key he is on big money and if we have performance like this year from him then we have to bite the bullet and get rid of him!
Hoppa to stay at fullback and if Lewis Foran combo can work and we have a hooker who can get momentum from our forward pack and really make inroads up the middle or one that can be creative around the ruck I think we can make the 8 Rhys Martin will make 4 pts into 6 nearly every time so those close margins may swing our way!
I to have waited way too long for a premiership!
Realistically I’d be hoping for a title within the next 4 years If Pay can’t make the 8 in 2019/2020 the writing will be on the wall

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The salary cap, the cheating of the salary cap, and referees and NRL bias and errors makes winning a grand final very difficult. One only has to look at the Roosters who seem to do everything right and have all the luck and they have only won 3 grand finals in the past 40 years. This despite how many minor premierships. This years grand final was the most boring I have ever watched. I watched it reluctantly to start with. Based on this winning the Grand Final is not the pinnacle for me in NRL anymore.
For me the pinnacle of NRL is winning the GF.. no greater feeling for me than after 2004 GF as champions..

I dont like the Rorters as much as the next person and u could either say their success is 3 premierships in 40 years as you do.. or others might say its 3 premierships in the last 16 years and 7 gfs in the past 19 years.. they do have a track record of recent success and are generally usually contenders .. their powerful board have got them in a strong position on the field

Their success shows the importance of what a successful/capable high achieving board can do for a team..

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am more interested in how we play in 2019. I want to see players fit for an 80 minute effort. I want to see the line moving up in defence and putting pressure on the opposition - on every play the ball (winning without the ball). I want to see players eagerly supporting the ball carrier and stop making it easy for the opposition to know which bulldogs player is to get the ball. I want to see a genuine fullback. Hopoate might be nice person but his heart is not in it. He and Foran I want to see shelved. Neither are part of our future. And most of all - attitude - no taking a backward step. If all this happens I won’t care where they finish. And if they do it then with the new stars that have finally been given their chance, we should do very well in 2019.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Finchie can you elaborate ?? no probs if you cant
If manly appoint hasler or jason Taylor as coach api korisau will ask for a release immediately
Mark Hughes is aware of this and api is happy to talk to Hughes.
A couple of things must fall into place but it has 100% been talked about and discussed for 2019.
That’s why the seggy news/signing has gone cold.
Club is waiting for the Penrith, manly and tigers coaching puzzle to take shape.

Reactions: GDR