1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Best Posts in Thread: Timeframe of Success

1. Hot Dog

Hot Dog Forum Regular

The salary cap, the cheating of the salary cap, and referees and NRL bias and errors makes winning a grand final very difficult. One only has to look at the Roosters who seem to do everything right and have all the luck and they have only won 3 grand finals in the past 40 years. This despite how many minor premierships. This years grand final was the most boring I have ever watched. I watched it reluctantly to start with. Based on this winning the Grand Final is not the pinnacle for me in NRL anymore. Although I have been fortunate to have watched my team win 6 grand finals which makes it easier to say that.

I look at rugby league differently since Des and Dib slowly destroyed the soul of my great club, and Greenburg has turned the NRL into a joke.

This year has been my favourite as a Bulldogs supporter since 2012. My highlights were:
    - Beating the Dragons 38-0 (was at the game)
    - Beating the Warriors with a Lewis field goal in the last minute (was at the game)
    - Finally playing some exciting footy, albeit only at certain times, but improving as the year went on
    - Finally having a goal kicker again. The best in the comp. Again.
    - A new coach with a new direction
    - A new board who seem to put the club above their personal agenda
    - Unearthing some new talent
    - Getting rid of some dead Wood
    - Watching a group of blokes who want to fight for the club and have pride in the jersey.

As long as we beat the Dragons, finish ahead of Parra, and play tough for 80 minutes in every game then I am happy and will consider it a successful year. Making finals and winning a grand final is just a bonus. The only one thing I wish for even more than winning a grand final is a true superstar in our team. This is the one thing we have lacked since Barba left. My little boys favourite player is still Curtis Rona and that says something. Klemmer and Jackson are great, but they are hard working forwards, not exciting game breakers. When you look back at the players we have had in the past we have truly been blessed and I yearn for another. Fingers crossed Lewis could be the next one.

• Like Like x 7
  2. speedy2460

speedy2460 Kennel Enthusiast

People have put great expectations on the club. People need to realise we need to crawl before we can walk.
    The club was in an almighty mess under the previous regime. The turmoil the previous administration caused had a negative impact on the playing group.
    That swamp has now been drained.
    Some players were paid massive overs and didnt perform.
    The club had little alternative to move on those players. This has happened.
    This has allowed the club to recruit new promising players in the correct price bracket. The recruiting process is now in good hands.
    The players have expressed their desire to play under Dean Pay. He has their support. Everything is now in place for a good future.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Noeasyday

Noeasyday Forum Regular

The squad we have for 2019 is not a top 8 squad on paper.
    2018 wasn't a top 8 squad on paper but aside from the Titans loss the boys put in. Once the conjecture over contracts was finished and Mbye and Woods moved on we looked like a team who knew what they were trying to achieve as a collective but didn't quite have the class to achieve it.
    We missed the polish of a class player or two to swing results our way.
    Looking at 2019, I see the same result as 2018, unless Foran has a career best season which I think is out of reach with his injury history.
    Should Pay continue to have the team playing close to it's limit based on roster and players continue to develop individually, I think he deserves an extension to give him an opportunity to see what he can do with a top 8 roster in 2020/21.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
  4. GoTheDoggies

GoTheDoggies Immortal

The spotlight shouldn't be on Pay too much, it's the management side we need to get right - signings, 3rd party deals to get around the cap etc.

Take the Roosters for example, give any coach that roster apart from Ricky Stuart and they'd win the comp.

Pay has proven he can get the best out of a poor roster, I think we over achieved this season. We are going to have to assemble a top roster regardless of whether Pay stays long term or not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. magdog

magdog Kennel Addict

Some of these losses would’ve been averted had we had a competent goal kicker early in the season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. SweetFA

SweetFA Forum Regular

Agree 100%, however we have some of the best young talent in our junior ranks and we also now have Mark Hughes back in charge of recruitment who was responsible for the roster at Souths 2014 premiership & the current roster at the Panthers.
    We are at least 2 seasons away from being seriously competitive. We need to invest in our coaching staff to assist Pay as the current lot in my opinion aren’t up to standard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. GoTheDoggies

GoTheDoggies Immortal

We are not an elite club. Our salary cap is a joke, we had a wooden spoon roster on paper yet were some how just under the cap, that is Parramatta level incompetence. I hope Anderson and Pay can turn this around and quickly.

Roosters and Melbourne are the two elite clubs in the competition now, year in year out consistently challenging for top 4. Sharks tried the sombrero method but have signed a lot of average players to maintain their success - still made the top 4 though.

We don't have a devine right to win as Bulldogs but I want to see this club challenge for top 4 regularly. Passionate fan base, wealthy leagues club, we have all the ingredients for success yet our recruitment and retention has been some of the worst you will see in the past 10 years. We have not made the top 4 since 2012 which is very concerning for a club of our size.

It pains me to say it but we are miles off the top. We have to assemble a sombrero roster if we want to be at the top again or secure top 4 finishes to give ourselves a chance.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. CroydonDog

CroydonDog Immortal Gilded

Missing the finals sucks, and i'm tired of fucking excuses. ...

"We lost x games by Y points of less"
    "We didn't have a goalkicker".

You know what winning teams don't have? Bloody excuses.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JayBee

JayBee Immortal

The more I read this, the more I agree with you. Especially the point about best I have felt since 2012 about our style of footy.

Realistically - we won't be competitive again next year, in the way of fighting for a top 8 spot. I think our ceiling is 7th, but that is with a helluvlot of optimism. If you look at teams overall, we have probably have the most improved roster

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. finchie

finchie Immortal

I belive we will finish 7th-8th
    If pay doesn’t make the 8 then he is gone
    50% of games this era is won on attitude and hunger
    The only position we lack is hooker and one centre
    They should be rectified before round one

• Like Like x 3
  11. D- voice

D- voice Kennel Enthusiast

I know it doesn't frequently happen...
    But someone forgot to tell that to the 1979 team after loosing 9 first grade players to Newtown 1 to Cronulla and 2 retired at 1978 end, with the reserves we were runners up and won it in 1980 !!!

• Like Like x 3
  12. UndeadShadowMan

UndeadShadowMan Kennel Enthusiast

Forget about making the finals until we stop paying ex players at other clubs. Maybe a couple of more years then we can get back into the market.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Neil Peart

Neil Peart Forum Regular

My current baseline;

Top 8 next year.
    Top 4 2020.
    Premiers 2021/2022.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. wendog33

wendog33 Kennel Enthusiast

We can't, and probably won't, finish any higher than 9-10th with the spine we have and lack of a game breaker. At least 9-10 teams in front of us do have those basics. We have a great forward pack who keep us in games.

That's the best we can expect whether we have Pay, Bennett or Bellamy.

It's as simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. berries1935

berries1935 Forum Regular

Souths weren’t picked to make the semis this year and nearly made the GF. No expert has ever picked the correct top 8. We as Canterbury fans aren’t used to being down for too long and traditionally in the past 30 years we have never been down for long. I expect is to suprise next year and us to pushing for a premiership in the next couple of years

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vlasnik

Vlasnik Immortal

Taking into account that we lost up to 8 games by less than 6 points this year and the changes that have been made by coach and board to our roster, I am expecting a finals birth in 2019. Pay was given a free pass this year but Steve Georgallis proved that even with all the chopping and changes that he had to deal with during the year that a good coach will always find a way to be competitive and find a way to win. I think the honey moon period Pay was given is long enough and that his coaching strengths and weaknesses should be held under the microscope from 2019 and onwards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1