Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wonder how James Graham feels considering he volunteered to take a pay cut so Mbye could stay at the dogs and then eventually was forced to leave only to see Mbye negotiate his way out of the dogs anyway.If anyone thinks he didn’t make first contact with the tigers I have two words for you..Josh Reynolds...
The amount of shit you talk is just amazing.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don't know.

At this level, players should be self starters- and not require coaches or administrators to get them fit. The coach is the planning and tactics manager, not their personal fitness trainer. They are paid big bucks because they're professional, fit, and ready- and all that should come with the package their agents are selling when a club signs them up.
But they do have to pass a fitness assessment test before selection.This includes 5 minute run test,60 seconds shuttle test,5-0-5 test and a 10 meter sprint test.So maybe our requirements are lower then the Storms or Des turned a blind eye.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Chris Anderson is a fantastic advisor
Chris Anderson has the runs on the board and I agree he's a fantastic coach.But we don't need a part timer,they tend to muddy the waters and make things worse.We need someone that can share the load full time.
The Board of Directors for a corporation should never take the risk and get involved with operations.That's why the executive office and the newly formed recruitment committee exist.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is as honest as it gets, with just three wins under their belt this year, the Bulldogs have had their worst start through 14 games since their wooden-spoon season in 1964.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/bulldogs-slump-to-worst-start-in-54-years
Shit I was starting to come good after yesterday's fiasco,then I read your post and reality king hit me.
As I staggered and crawled back to life I remembered that in 1965 we came 2nd last and in 1966 3rd last.We made the grand final in 1967.
3 years of misery,I don't know how my old man survived that nightmare.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Chris Anderson has the runs on the board and I agree he's a fantastic coach.But we don't need a part timer,they tend to muddy the waters and make things worse.We need someone that can share the load full time.
The Board of Directors for a corporation should never take the risk and get involved with operations.That's why the executive office and the newly formed recruitment committee exist.
We are swimming in experience. Everyone seems to forget that Farrer is the Director of Football, a bloke who epitomised the Dogs of War era and a former FG coach of several years standing. Turvey, Baa, Wardy and half a dozen others are all there offering support and assistance. Add to that Anderson and frankly if Pay can't find good mentorship and advice from those blokes he won't find it from anyone. It is clear from the comments from the players that at training all their lines are run right and their structures are in place. It falls apart because we don't have a shot caller to control the game under pressure. Players don't have to be out of position by much to look like idiots and without someone out the back and in the halves to direct attack and defence we fall apart under pressure.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
and yet there does not appear to be a line of separation... but rather "jobs for the boys" like last time.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s 2018
Not 1980

Players these days play for cash first team second club third

Can’t bring back that bulldog culture
It’s looooooong gone imo

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
and yet there does not appear to be a line of separation... but rather "jobs for the boys" like last time.
You read my mind brother and for the clubs sake I hope we are both wrong.The game is too professional nowadays,separation is imperative.

The last election was not based on ability but emotions and hunger for a change.Your description of "jobs for the boys"aptly sums it up.
Souths experienced same bs and were nearly dead before Russell Crowe stepped in.
People got this antiquated idea that somehow past players can all coach in the modern era.Honestly bro,I've talked to numerous ex players that are only au fait with playing skills and lack familiarity with modern structures and styles.People need to remember how the modern game is totally different to the 1970-1990 eras.It's practically a different game.

I personally prefer the Storm or Broncos style of leadership and demarcation or the Easts style of dictatorship,worked well for us (Moore) and Manly (Arthurson) in the past.Both styles are ruthless and professional,with 1 objective in mind.We are here to win and if you screw up your days are numbered regardless of who you are.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You read my mind brother and for the clubs sake I hope we are both wrong.The game is too professional nowadays,separation is imperative.

The last election was not based on ability but emotions and hunger for a change.Your description of "jobs for the boys"aptly sums it up.
Souths experienced same bs and were nearly dead before Russell Crowe stepped in.
People got this antiquated idea that somehow past players can all coach in the modern era.Honestly bro,I've talked to numerous ex players that are only au fait with playing skills and lack familiarity with modern structures and styles.People need to remember how the modern game is totally different to the 1970-1990 eras.It's practically a different game.

I personally prefer the Storm or Broncos style of leadership and demarcation or the Easts style of dictatorship,worked well for us (Moore) and Manly (Arthurson) in the past.Both styles are ruthless and professional,with 1 objective in mind.We are here to win and if you screw up your days are numbered regardless of who you are.
This is about the most contradictory post I have read. So, having Anderson, a person with a pretty much gilt edged career in football using that influence to support the rebuild of the club is jobs for the boys? He's pretty much been with the club for 40 years! He was instrumental in building the culture at the Storm from scratch. Meanwhile some plonker with a pocket full of cash decides he wants to be the "saviour of Souths" by throwing cash at it along with a couple of other mates, makes all the decisions appointing CEOs, coaches and players, even pushes them out due to his poor management skills (hello Keary) and that is somehow a better option. Not sure Maguire would agree with that either. Easts are run on pretty much the same lines. They cull players to suit themselves without a moments thought for the fans or the players. Seriously, you think Cronk is going so much better than Pearce did?

There is a reason why their fan sites are rubbish. It is because their fans have no voice. They are just along for the ride.

We had years of Dib and Hasler running the show to suit themselves and that is what got us into this trouble. Lynne and Deano may or may not be the right answer for us in the long term but at the very least they are trying to do the sorts of things we have been asking for for a long time. I still remember the fans forum last year where Des treated the most passionate and longstanding members of this club like they were imbeciles. That's what a dictatorship brings and I for one am not interested in seeing it ever again.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have to agree there... take a bow John Grant for the sanctimonious swanning around and beating of ones chest. It was this man that started the downhill slide by takling to clubs, beating the chest and stating what the cap would be (before it was officially announced).

Then when he fucked up he jumped ship and left the NRL, and left Greenberg to announce the cap very late.... by which time the damage was done with some teams (that had based it off Grants amount).

If the NRL were smart they would have simply said "Okay we fucked up, but this will now the be cap", instead the renigged and undercut the claimed amount by some margin.

Only problem with sticking to the amount Grant had quoted, was that the NRL was struggling and sweating on a $30 million loan from the banks in order to pay forwards grants to clubs.

Loan gets granted, Greenberg slashes the cap amount, and who knows where the spare money went.

I find it funny though that the NRL aare boasting (literally just the other day), of nearly $30 million profits at half yearly report. Yet fail to mention that $30 million+ is a loan thats due for repayment. If the banks called it in now NRL would be in the negative.
If this is true (& it has been reported in this way) then why are we seemingly the only club who have this desaster? If it is true, then we should be suing the NRL & enforcing this verbal contract. This has caused the club (& fans) untold misery for a few years & probably cost the club $1M.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Crap. If the NRL's so incompetent, then all 16 clubs would be in cap shit right now.
We, and we only, chose to act on speculation before NRL pen hit paper. On that point, you're right. So what does that say about the business acumen of the previous Dog administration?
Let's ask the 13,000 empty seats at Belmore on Saturday why. THEY know something the rest of us don't. They're voting with their feet!
But as was said on here in another post (& reported in the media at the time) that John Grant had indicated the cap would be much higher than it ended up being. The NRL should have had the cap sorted out a 12-24 months before it did causing clubs to go on what they were told. It has been reported that John Grant said one thing & Todd Greenberg another. It was also reported that the Raiders were in a similar pickle although it doesn't seem to be releasing players like we have. I think the Bulldogs with a desperate Board needing to do something to save their skins went on what they were told by Grant & got caught out. They were trying to get it sorted out early & get in & get players they thought would turn the club around (didn't they get that wrong?).

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I had a mouthful of walnuts and beer when I read your post.
I burst out laughing.This pretty boy that's got the hots for my daughter,was sitting across my desk in my study trying to impress me.
He copped a mouthful smack in the face.
You'll have to mention that at their wedding that your nuts slapped him in his face. LOL

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If this is true (& it has been reported in this way) then why are we seemingly the only club who have this desaster? If it is true, then we should be suing the NRL & enforcing this verbal contract. This has caused the club (& fans) untold misery for a few years & probably cost the club $1M.
I think it was a case of tryin to get in early on players... which was the right idea.

Except Greenberg renigged on Grants promise.

Other clubs held back as they'd already got their sides reasonably well balanced.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You cant be serious.Pay needs some credit for turning up at work.
He gets paid big money to do it,he's not coaching a park team for love.You think other new coaches Garth Brennan (Titans) and Anthony Seibold (Souths) weren't in the same position?

Every coach was a rookie once,some make it some flop,that's a fact.If he took the job knowing all the inner details about the squad he was inheriting,then it's his fault and there should be no excuses.He overestimated his abilities.If he didn't know,then he was a fool for not doing his homework.You don't enter a cave in utter darkness then blame the cave because you got lost!

But regardless,my intention for the thread wasn't to bash Pay.Our club is in a mess,we have a rookie coach and I believe the club should do whatever possible to help him.Maybe spending more money and employing an advisor or coach's manager like Gould at Penrith might help share the load.Supporters and the media can be very demanding and I cant see him surviving another 2 years of failure.
There is a difference. Brennan & Seibold had a team they could work with. They had a spine (with extras) & they didn't have a salary cap desaster.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t believe there’s still another 10 rounds of this shit to go in season alone. In saying that we have been playing like this for years. I’m not gonna bag out Pay...I’m actually proud of the guy for putting hand up for the gig given the situation.

Couple of things I can’t understand is how a first grade footy side doesn’t have genuine halves, we’ve been clueless since Hokko left. How many years does it take to work that out.

Point two and this drives me nuts is why given that over the years we’ve always had great goal kickers and how many games are won with great goal kicking. I’m talking about guys that convert at least %80
Mbye is hit and miss at best, unless a try is under the post it’s a lucky dip.

Conlon, Gearin, Halligan, El Masri...those guys won us shitloads of games with decent goal kicking. Please find a player that can kick fucking goals!

Last edited:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s the players. They are shit. We played the same under Des. Can’t shift the ball quickly and can’t adapt. Gotta move everyone on.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is about the most contradictory post I have read. So, having Anderson, a person with a pretty much gilt edged career in football using that influence to support the rebuild of the club is jobs for the boys? He's pretty much been with the club for 40 years! He was instrumental in building the culture at the Storm from scratch. Meanwhile some plonker with a pocket full of cash decides he wants to be the "saviour of Souths" by throwing cash at it along with a couple of other mates, makes all the decisions appointing CEOs, coaches and players, even pushes them out due to his poor management skills (hello Keary) and that is somehow a better option. Not sure Maguire would agree with that either. Easts are run on pretty much the same lines. They cull players to suit themselves without a moments thought for the fans or the players. Seriously, you think Cronk is going so much better than Pearce did?

There is a reason why their fan sites are rubbish. It is because their fans have no voice. They are just along for the ride.

We had years of Dib and Hasler running the show to suit themselves and that is what got us into this trouble. Lynne and Deano may or may not be the right answer for us in the long term but at the very least they are trying to do the sorts of things we have been asking for for a long time. I still remember the fans forum last year where Des treated the most passionate and longstanding members of this club like they were imbeciles. That's what a dictatorship brings and I for one am not interested in seeing it ever again.
For starters Anderson didn't build the Storm,John Ribot,Chris Johns and the NRL did.Ribot set the club up and made a deal with NRL to sign Super League players such as Robbie Ross,Glen Lazarus,Brett Kimmorly,Scott Hill and others from the Perth Reds and Hunter Mariners.Granted Anderson was their foundation coach but this post was about administration and that was Ribot and Johns responsibility.

As far as the 'plonker',he made it possible for Souths to achieve glory and respect,something they lacked for 42 years.It doesn't matter who gets pushed out,sentiment in business produces failure.If Maguire,Kleary,CEO's and players had to go,good move.Our opinion doesn't matter,their record memberships and fans say,"Souths are a better club for it".
Piggins 'Never Say Die,Fight to save the Rabbitohs',got the ball rolling,but Nick Pappas couldn't keep the fight going.The 'plonker' with a pocket full of cash came along,won a comp by smashing us and built a team that have a decent chance of winning the comp again this year.You cannot argue with success.

Easts are like a steady ship,a well run club that rarely encounters any club issues.Since 2000 they've been in 6 grand finals (won 2),won 4 minor premiership,been in the top 4,10 times (in 18 seasons).They have the best record of any team in the comp.Cronk has a proven big game record,his presence and game management was an area Easts identified as lacking in Pearce.Pearce compromised his club with his stupidity and rightfully so when opportunity arose he was pissed off.That's what a well run successful club does.Cronk might succeed or fail,time will tell.
You cannot argue with East's success.

Dictatorship comes from the top bro not the underlings,it's absolute authority in EVERY sphere.If Dib and the board let Des run rough shot then they were puppets,the exact opposite to what a dictatorship means!Did Des have absolute authority in employing a CEO or final approval for signing players? no.So he was not a dictator (more like a pretender).

Which clubs are being run the best Broncos,Easts and Souths,who are now run by a professional administration,or Bulldogs,Parra and Manly who's run by ex players? The salary cap fiascos these later clubs encountered provides the answer.
So before you go slapping around the word contradiction,show me where any of my statements have a position opposite to one I already made.Show me how I broke the law of contradiction,where I made two propositions that cannot both be true in the same sense at the same time. Because all I did was contrast the Broncos,Easts and Souths style of administration with ours which hasn't changed since Moore stepped down.

I respect your opinion bro,it's healthy and welcomed.But to come up with an idiotic Ad hominem statement like "This is about the most contradictory post I have read" in unfounded and easily dismissed. Cheers my Bulldogs brother.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is a difference. Brennan & Seibold had a team they could work with. They had a spine (with extras) & they didn't have a salary cap desaster.
True I grant you,circumstances are different.But if Pay has been following the game from 2015 to 2017,the squad's standard he was inheriting should be no mystery to him.

Nearly everyone on this forum was expecting a top 4 or 8 season,with our current squad.Why were people expecting that? It's because they all thought Pay would transform our squad and most people believed him.He must have taken the job thinking his coaching was good enough to make a difference.Bro he was so confident in his ability to transform our team,he made public statements to the effect,but did he? So now that he failed,the excuse becomes the players,the refs,Des,Dib,Castle everyone else but Pay.

You're making it sound like he signed blind,we begged him or forced him to take the job.I have never represented a client without reading the transcripts first.Only then do I know whether I'm the right Counsel.A good tradesman should never blame his tools.

These excuses have a shelf life,so let's hope our trust in his ability is justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.