Time to reach out and be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bad roster and huge player egos is one thing,but playing structures that are outdated by over 20 years is another.If the Dogs are playing at a suburban ground,where you can sit closer to the action,time their shift passing as they spread the ball along the line.It's so slow that defenses don't need to slide or 2nd guess but just rush up in a perfect line.

Why isn't Pay telling the halves to stand deeper,so they can disjoint and disrupt the defensive line,allowing room and time for offloads or shifts to players running lines?
Why are our forwards unaware when our halves or hooker run to the line,or worst still,prematurely run up, crowd the ruck and receive the ball standing still? Do they even communicate at training?
Why is the fullback standing like a stunned mullet so early behind the edge,making it easy for opposing fullbacks to plug the overlap?
Why isn't Pay using a ball playing lock that doubles as an extra prop,but instead is persisting with a 1980-90 style lock? At least Des experimented with Klemmer.Without a modern lock the connect between forwards and backs and 2nd phase plays suffer.You'll end up with a freelance 2nd rower that stifles the edge like Elliott or workhorses like JJ or Tolman.When David went to lock against Saints our left edge looked so much sharper,we tend to forget his past,he's a lot more then just a meters eater.
Why are we not bending teams down the middle in order to compress their defense before we shift wide? Worked great against the Cows.
Why is the forwards decoy running so pathetic,ineffective and badly timed? Numerous times the halves have to slow down the pass to allow the decoy time,otherwise the receiver cant get on his outside.The halves either get smashed like sitting ducks or look like they are lost,it's comical.

Honestly I can keep asking questions about our structure for hours and I'm sure most of you are asking similar questions.I'm no expert,but I'm not blind.I don't just watch the games,I study, analyze and critique them.I run videos of our games through a sports analysis software and it spits out so many offensive faults,it takes me hours to address them properly.And behold,the same shit appears week after week.If it wasn't for SOME players extra effort and individual brilliance we would have been smashed in every game.A huge thanks to those players that gave us hope during those close games.We all love you.

Our defense holds well against the easily defended antiquated edge structure.But against newer structures like the 3-4 pass shift,cross field heavy shifts,spine isolation and 1st receiver at hooker with triple halves,our defensive structure is a sieve.

These players have been playing for years,some at the highest level.I bet if they play and adapt to a different structure you'll see a huge difference.Of course a few will fail because they shouldn't be in 1st grade but an NRL club should have no excuses in promoting replacements.

We are guilty of committing park football errors because our structure shackles the spine and is designed for field domination,fatigue isolation,allowable time with the ball and overpowering slow set plays.That was great in the eighties and nineties but it cannot and will not work now.The modern game demands speed and mobility,2nd phase play with quick offloads or shifts,domination of the ruck,spine controlled quick passes and strategic kicking.

I'm all for giving Pay a fair go,actually I feel empathy for him,but we cant keep alliterating the same excuses,in fact we are doing the bloke an injustice.Everyone reaches a level of incompetence maybe Pay has reached his.Some people make a brilliant foreman but are lousy when promoted to a manager.

Ask yourself this question.Is the current Bulldogs predicament suited for a rookie coach? I say we need to open our purse strings and sign an experienced old head,someone that has battled through hard times.At least as an advisor,like Gould at Penrith,someone Pay can share the load with. Someone that has a proven record that warrants and demands media respect.

Pay will be a much better coach for it,he will learn that changes and adaptation to modern day structures will yield improvements and ultimately success.Otherwise we'll keep falling further behind other teams and unjustly or not he'll be regarded as a huge failure.

too69u

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bad roster and huge player egos is one thing,but playing structures that are outdated by over 20 years is another.If the Dogs are playing at a suburban ground,where you can sit closer to the action,time their shift passing as they spread the ball along the line.It's so slow that defenses don't need to slide or 2nd guess but just rush up in a perfect line.

Why isn't Pay telling the halves to stand deeper,so they can disjoint and disrupt the defensive line,allowing room and time for offloads or shifts to players running lines?
Why are our forwards unaware when our halves or hooker run to the line,or worst still,prematurely run up, crowd the ruck and receive the ball standing still? Do they even communicate at training?
Why is the fullback standing like a stunned mullet so early behind the edge,making it easy for opposing fullbacks to plug the overlap?
Why isn't Pay using a ball playing lock that doubles as an extra prop,but instead is persisting with a 1980-90 style lock? At least Des experimented with Klemmer.Without a modern lock the connect between forwards and backs and 2nd phase plays suffer.You'll end up with a freelance 2nd rower that stifles the edge like Elliott or workhorses like JJ or Tolman.When David went to lock against Saints our left edge looked so much sharper,we tend to forget his past,he's a lot more then just a meters eater.
Why are we not bending teams down the middle in order to compress their defense before we shift wide? Worked great against the Cows.
Why is the forwards decoy running so pathetic,ineffective and badly timed? Numerous times the halves have to slow down the pass to allow the decoy time,otherwise the receiver cant get on his outside.The halves either get smashed like sitting ducks or look like they are lost,it's comical.

Honestly I can keep asking questions about our structure for hours and I'm sure most of you are asking similar questions.I'm no expert,but I'm not blind.I don't just watch the games,I study, analyze and critique them.I run videos of our games through a sports analysis software and it spits out so many offensive faults,it takes me hours to address them properly.And behold,the same shit appears week after week.If it wasn't for SOME players extra effort and individual brilliance we would have been smashed in every game.A huge thanks to those players that gave us hope during those close games.We all love you.

Our defense holds well against the easily defended antiquated edge structure.But against newer structures like the 3-4 pass shift,cross field heavy shifts,spine isolation and 1st receiver at hooker with triple halves,our defensive structure is a sieve.

These players have been playing for years,some at the highest level.I bet if they play and adapt to a different structure you'll see a huge difference.Of course a few will fail because they shouldn't be in 1st grade but an NRL club should have no excuses in promoting replacements.

We are guilty of committing park football errors because our structure shackles the spine and is designed for field domination,fatigue isolation,allowable time with the ball and overpowering slow set plays.That was great in the eighties and nineties but it cannot and will not work now.The modern game demands speed and mobility,2nd phase play with quick offloads or shifts,domination of the ruck,spine controlled quick passes and strategic kicking.

I'm all for giving Pay a fair go,actually I feel empathy for him,but we cant keep alliterating the same excuses,in fact we are doing the bloke an injustice.Everyone reaches a level of incompetence maybe Pay has reached his.Some people make a brilliant foreman but are lousy when promoted to a manager.

Ask yourself this question.Is the current Bulldogs predicament suited for a rookie coach? I say we need to open our purse strings and sign an experienced old head,someone that has battled through hard times.At least as an advisor,like Gould at Penrith,someone Pay can share the load with. Someone that has a proven record that warrants and demands media respect.

Pay will be a much better coach for it,he will learn that changes and adaptation to modern day structures will yield improvements and ultimately success.Otherwise we'll keep falling further behind other teams and unjustly or not he'll be regarded as a huge failure.
Thank you sir.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well said - the successful teams in the current era have urgency in attack as well as defence. The Dogs are still playing a slow deliberate grinding attack that doesntask questions. Nothing is at speed in attack. The other significant difference is the skill set across the park - simple passing and kicking is not at the level of other clubs - these same issues are apparent in all grades. If brute strength doesn't work there is no plan B.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no-one in the team with any vision. No-one in the team who can kick to he ball. No-one in the team who can verbal blast the slackers in defence.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I think you must be related to that stupid dumb ass reporter that Jacko put in his place during the after match press conference. Please outline your coaching credentials and what qualifies you to judge a Club legend like Dean Pays coaching credentials??

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think you must be related to that stupid dumb ass reporter that Jacko put in his place during the after match press conference. Please outline your coaching credentials and what qualifies you to judge a Club legend like Dean Pays coaching credentials??
Aren't u the same staunch Hasler supporter who gave me shit for years because I didn't like Hasler and said who am I to question Hasler. How did Hasler do after all. You were one of his loud supporters all these years..

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
None of us have nrl coaching credentials but it's clear to see the deficiencys of our side that were stated in the op. Fans, commentators, league experts all see the same issues in our side

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You don't have to be an NRL coach to know you should START you best player. Klemmer coming off the bench is laughable.
Its a funked up situation...

Do we take it easy on Klemmer considering his going through origin atm?

Do we start him and burn him out?

Do we start him and lose ANY impact off the bench?

Could we bring in anyone else in ? Tualau who doesn't have the fitness for ISP atm ?

Many factors cloud a coaches decisions..... Yes I think Klemmer should have started but we most likely only know half the factors.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Pay gets the wooden spoon does he still have support on here? We know the cap situation isn’t the best but coming last should never be an option for us

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yet another Fuck Pay thread,

When will people realise that NO COACH could do more given the situation Pay walked into.

Lol at the arm chair coaches of the kennel.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Pay gets the wooden spoon does he still have support on here? We know the cap situation isn’t the best but coming last should never be an option for us
Coming last is not an option. It's a result of circumstance. Our current circumstance dictates that we will do well to avoid the spoon. It is what it is.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cmon qld dog... why does every thread on this forum have to somehow become a argument. The guy is just outlining some obvious problems and maybe they are wrong or could be all correct, we all know we have major issues and his outlining what he personally thinks they are. Give him a break.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coming last is not an option. It's a result of circumstance. Our current circumstance dictates that we will do well to avoid the spoon. It is what it is.
No that’s a defeatist attitude. We are just half way through the season and the attitude and application the team puts in for the rest of the season is optional. It’s a big test for Pay early in his head coaching career but he needs to stop the slide and find a way to start winning games

Reactions: DT

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No that’s a defeatist attitude. We are just half way through the season and the attitude and application the team puts in for the rest of the season is optional. It’s a big test for Pay early in his head coaching career but he needs to stop the slide and find a way to start winning games
It is not defeatist at all. I am being a realist. We will do well to avoid the spoon. I still have hope though and will continue to go to games and support my team. I am also realistic that this year and most likely the next won't be our best. I'm in for the long haul. The 80's game me so much joy that I will patiently wait for those glory years again,

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not defeatist at all. I am being a realist. We will do well to avoid the spoon. I still have hope though and will continue to go to games and support my team. I am also realistic that this year and most likely the next won't be our best. I'm in for the long haul. The 80's game me so much joy that I will patiently wait for those glory years again,
It the players continue to perform like they did yesterday then sure we probably get the spoon. But it is the job of the players and coaching staff to win games. The defending on the left edge yesterday was pathetic. As has some of the defending on the right edge. Maybe if we choose to fix those issues we’ll fare better in the future. These performances by the players are unacceptable and the fans deserve better

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It the players continue to perform like they did yesterday then sure we probably get the spoon. But it is the job of the players and coaching staff to win games. The defending on the left edge yesterday was pathetic. As has some of the defending on the right edge. Maybe if we choose to fix those issues we’ll fare better in the future. These performances by the players are unacceptable and the fans deserve better
Can't fix the issues with the squad we have. Why don't the Morris boys leak tries? Because they are quality players. The other simply aren't.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet another Fuck Pay thread,

When will people realise that NO COACH could do more given the situation Pay walked into.

Lol at the arm chair coaches of the kennel.
He should be given at least until end of next year but it does not excuse the fact that we have no game plan at all and the bench rotations are horrible and these things do fall on pay even if he is a rookie coach, these are basics

Status
Not open for further replies.