Opinion Time to go shopping

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A Rebuild isnt done by blooding juniors.. we need to sign as many experienced capable NRL players as possible.. then replace them with better players as they become available..

At the moment we have a FG team too inexperienced all over..

Have a look at the Roosters...very few local juniors and those that they have signed from other clubs as youngsters have always already had ability and mongrel. Don't forget though, that unlike us and many others, the Roosters don't have to contend with a salary cap because they pretty much sign whoever they want whenever they want.......

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes that is correct.

They are "hoping" at snatching a decent "named player" mid year when a club is under cap strife.

Same shit withthe "fire sale" we had

To do that though they will need to get rid of one of the existing thirty players by offloading them and we will probably be paying some of the contract for them anyway, just like the mercurial Mbye and Woods.......

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Off load Montoya thinking ESL maybe there’s a good pommy center running round we could nab anyone know one?

Haven't Canberra signed just about every Pom there is available???

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For sure. Good news is that Okunbor despite his talent he’s displayed games like this will keep his price tag low haha
Why would we even want him if he plays like this

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why would we even want him if he plays like this
You wouldn’t. But he’s shown some good qualities in 2 out of 3 games. He’s young and he should be able to improve. Definitely worth another contract to see if he can become a good FG footballer.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You wouldn’t. But he’s shown some good qualities in 2 out of 3 games. He’s young and he should be able to improve. Definitely worth another contract to see if he can become a good FG footballer.

I guess but he didn’t really impress in reserve grade either.

Take out those two runs when he ran over smith would his metres still be High?

I want to believe this guy can be an animal and out next beast but I think I’m dreaming.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Rebuild isnt done by blooding juniors.. we need to sign as many experienced capable NRL players as possible.. then replace them with better players as they become available..

At the moment we have a FG team too inexperienced all over..
The other problem we are going to have is as these players gain experience the better ones will start getting good offers from our rival teams and they will probably except because this club is going nowhere fast, and the better players will go just to expand their careers & we will be back to square one again.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The other problem we are going to have is as these players gain experience the better ones will start getting good offers from our rival teams and they will probably except because this club is going nowhere fast, and the better players will go just to expand their careers & we will be back to square one again.
I don’t agree, we have the financial backing one of the most profitable leagues clubs in the country, meaning rock solid job security for players and their families, a full kit of sponsors, stable management, world class training and recovery facilities together with top shelf support staff. We will have reasonable cap space available next year and more than decent cap space in 2021. That has cost us last year and again this year but that price simply had to be paid. That cloud has fully cleared and we have the demonstrable capacity to develop the players that we have and recruit whoever we want.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The biggest shortage is someone to offer leadership on the field. Jackson just cannot cut it.
Hes to quiet. He doesnt motivate the players. He doesnt call any shots. He doesnt seem to organise any set moves.
Apart from Foran, there doesnt seem to be any alternative, but its something they need to think about.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The biggest shortage is someone to offer leadership on the field. Jackson just cannot cut it.
Hes to quiet. He doesnt motivate the players. He doesnt call any shots. He doesnt seem to organise any set moves.
Apart from Foran, there doesnt seem to be any alternative, but its something they need to think about.
100% agree jacko is too quiet when hes off tols disputes calls with refs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree ........... somewhat.

Jackson is the kind of captain who leads from the front. sets the example that others should aspire to and he does that extremely well, arguable better than anyone. Almost every player would love to have a captain like that, someone to inspire them by his actions, not just his words.

FWIW I don't believe it is the captain's job to call plays, that's the halves role.

It is however the captain's job to, as the circumstances require, rally the players, gee them up, calm them down, both as a group and individually. Recall, relate and implement the coach's instructions and overall game plan.

It is also the captain's job to slow the game down or speed it up, whichever is to his team's advantage at the time. Plus exert some influence over the referees' decisions, point out the oppositions illegal tactics etc. Frankly I don't see enough of that.

To me Jackson puts everything he has, every ounce of his energy into playing at his highest level, which doesn't leave much energy or brain power for the other things that a captain is required to do. Such that at the end of the game he has nothing left in the tank, he looks physically and mentally exhausted. I think he needs to pace himself better during the game, have some energy available to do the others things that an NRL team captain is required to do.

Go Dogs

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If we don't secure Robson, I'd look at bringing Staggs (to play centre), David Fifita (prop) and Nikorima (hooker) from the Broncos next year.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes to Staggs and Fifita, but no to Nikorima.
I doubt we’d get any of them anyway.
Why? No Bennett anymore and Seibold is the coach so no great attraction there.
From memory Staggs is a Dubbo boy, so get Bobcat to use the hometown connections.
Fafita is Tongan so Hopoate has the inside running there. Plus he might like to move closer to his cousin.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any good centres running round in super rugby we could make a play at I know it’s a World Cup year but you never know

Dexter35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To do that though they will need to get rid of one of the existing thirty players by offloading them and we will probably be paying some of the contract for them anyway, just like the mercurial Mbye and Woods.......
You just release a player who is off-contract this year, and there is about 9 of them from memory

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t agree, we have the financial backing one of the most profitable leagues clubs in the country, meaning rock solid job security for players and their families, a full kit of sponsors, stable management, world class training and recovery facilities together with top shelf support staff. We will have reasonable cap space available next year and more than decent cap space in 2021. That has cost us last year and again this year but that price simply had to be paid. That cloud has fully cleared and we have the demonstrable capacity to develop the players that we have and recruit whoever we want.

Go Dogs
That is bloody interesting!

You would think with all that cabbage coming from Canterbury Leagues, as well as the tremendous pulling power the club has, we would of pulled off some decent signings over the years like;

Latrell Mitchell
Cameron Munster
Brad Maloney
Cooper Cronk
James Tedesco

You really think that now, with the cap space we have available, we can entice superstars to come over here?

The way Ennis, Reynolds, Graham, Mbye & Woods were treated in open public, which "superstar" will be coming here?

Maybe we can entice them with your persuasive manner?!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we don't secure Robson, I'd look at bringing Staggs (to play centre), David Fifita (prop) and Nikorima (hooker) from the Broncos next year.
Staggs and Fifita would never happen. They play every game for the Broncos in a one team city with a better coach and squad so I don't see why they'd ever consider us.