Time to free up the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Its time for RL in Australia to take a deep breath and go to the next level. If it keeps being treated like a protected species, it will become extinct. If the administrators and leaders in the game really believe what they preach; that this is a great game both for participants and spectators, then it is time for them to put their dreams where their mouths are and free up the game.

How?

By taking the existing competition structures and turning them into a divisional hierarchy featuring promotion and relegation. Instead of putting 16 clubs in cotton wool and ensuring they can't be dropped out of the top division (NRL) except for some unprecedented breach of ethics or finances, we now have a competition where most of the clubs are not trying as hard as they could. Most of the clubs operate defensively, both on and off the field. Despite the efforts that were made to try and even out the competition (salary cap, etc), there is a clear gap in quality. There are 4 or 5 clubs at the top, 7 or 8 in the middle, and 3 or 4 languishing at the bottom. Its time to free the game from this structure and let clubs live or die based on their performance. No more cotton wool, free them, let them go!

Interesting article about it here. Please read before commenting.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think relegation is a smart idea, as the difference to too great between the comps.

It'd end up like an NRL side playing an under 7s side. We already see stupid scores in Toyota Cup already, this idea would make it worse.

Ideas that would work:
+ Player draft.
+ Four distinct comps at a nationwide level:
NRL - First graders
NRL GRADE - Reserve Graders
NYC CUP - 18-20s, or those good enough to get promoted from
NRL SHIELD - Reserve Reserve Graders. This would allow clubs like say Central Coast or Perth to enter and if they start dominating, apply for NYC / NRL Grade / NRL licenses.

HG Matts and SG Ball would remain a state based thing.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like your structure, at the very least it provides for the possibility of some competition amongst clubs to be in the top grade. Instead of having an organisation that WANTS to be a club with a team (Perth, 2nd or 3rd Brisbane team, Central Coast, etc) they could actually BE a club with a team and keep the top graders honest. A club like Sharks who atm have both financial and peptide problems would seriously fear getting the drop.

I also agree that there needs to be state-based structures, with the age groupings as we have now.

But so far as seeing "an NRL side playing an under 7s side" (exaggerated for effect I'm sure), we are already seeing that, so far as I can tell. Canberra has been wiped two weeks in a row. Last week commentators at half time were saying that the Dogs v Dragons was like watching men play boys. And as you've mentioned we frequently see cricket scores in the NYC.

Surely the biggest contributing factor to this problem is that there are too many teams in the top grade? It needs to be cut back, the weakest teams need to be culled, but in such a way that they can earn their way back into the top grade.

So for example, NRL top grade (TG) cuts back to 12 teams. First great thing is that we can have a full home and away season again, instead of this rubbish we have going on atm. Second great thing is we have 6 higher quality games every week. Third great thing is that as we get towards the end of the season, we have both the excitement of watching the teams battle to be in the top six, and teams battling to stay out of the bottom two (relegation). Most games would stay relevant right till the end of the season, instead of the current arrangement where some games are dead with weeks still to go, and most games in the last round are meaningless.

Four current NRL clubs go to NRL second grade (2G). Say... Sharks (for obvious reasons), Eels (last, last, and 3rd last over previous 3 seasons), Titans (haven't made the finals yet), and whichever team has the worst record over three seasons at the end of this season not including the three already listed. Put those four into a national 2G comp along with teams from all the possible expansion areas we hear about, plus a couple teams from NSW and QLD cups.

The two teams that make the 2G GF promote each season. At the end of each season the winners of the top level comp in each state have a mini comp, the winner promotes to NRL 2G, from which the wooden spoon relegates.

TV wise you now have 12 national games each week in a two tier structure. RL gets to start trying to make serious inroads into the rest of Australia by putting teams in Adelaide & Perth, while at the same time not having to prop those teams up in a TG national comp that they simply aren't ready for.

Dw

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
would absolutely destroy player loyalty

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Would be a very interesting concept but will never happen !

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
would absolutely destroy player loyalty
Player loyalty is already mostly destroyed, this wouldn't destroy it any more than it already is. In fact, because the salary cap would likely be gotten rid of, or at least made more flexible, it might actually enable more player loyalty.

But I assume you are talking about players putting a clause in their contract allowing them to jump ship if their team gets relegation? This would actually add to the theatre I'd imagine.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Player loyalty is already mostly destroyed, this wouldn't destroy it any more than it already is. In fact, because the salary cap would likely be gotten rid of, or at least made more flexible, it might actually enable more player loyalty.

But I assume you are talking about players putting a clause in their contract allowing them to jump ship if their team gets relegation? This would actually add to the theatre I'd imagine.
I don't think Relegation would work in our game it will just hinder it take the Eels for example they have a Hayne in their team, talent is spread in the NRL due to the salary cap so some shit teams have stars in them that deserve to play in the NRL main competition.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think Relegation would work in our game it will just hinder it take the Eels for example they have a Hayne in their team, talent is spread in the NRL due to the salary cap so some shit teams have stars in them that deserve to play in the NRL main competition.
Nano, I thought you of all Kennelers would be in favour of survival of the fittest :grinning:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So far as the scenario of some of the NRL's best players ending up in an NRL 2G situation, I'd expect that this would be a case where a player would give serious thought to changing teams. There are many ways this could happen (loan situations?), and it would mean we'd finally see players like Hayne playing with other top class players. Looking at the teams I listed above + Canberra (likely poor performer this season), you'd see players like Hayne, Hopoate, Mannah, Norman, Peats, Fifita, Gallen, Lewis, Gordon, Graham, Kelly, Taylor, Sezer, Mead, Fensom, Shillington, Campese probably looking to find places in the 12 FG teams. These are all rep (or close to rep) players. The quality of FG would increase massively.

The teams in FG wouldn't be employing players mostly on the basis that they are "ok/consistent" + will help them stay under the salary cap. Therefore in the kennel we'll not have to listen to all the whingers complaining about the cheap wingers in our team because they can't get their heads around what the salary cap actually does to the clubs ability to have an all-star team.

At the same time with 8 more clubs playing at a national level (though in an NRL 2G), there will be more spots for players to get a go, and because of the two tier structure they won't be playing out of their league. Ultimately it will be more exciting for the fans. At the moment coming 3rd last just plain sucks. With this structure coming 3rd or 4th last could be the result of some heroic victories saving the team for the drop, with fans of the team celebrating nearly as loudly as those that make the finals.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hahaha but the NRL team roster isn't big enough for that yet :p
Easy fixed. NRL 2G would be 4 of the existing NRL teams, plus Adelaide, Perth, Wellington, Central Coast and four existing state based teams that are amongst the strongest over the last few seasons like Illawarra, Wennie, Ipswich, Wynnum Manly, etc. Maybe bring back one or two old clubs for the older fans, Newtown, Norths...

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Though how would teams be able to build on something if players are coming and going mid season and what not?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Though how would teams be able to build on something if players are coming and going mid season and what not?
It already happens, and not just with transfers either, injuries alone mean teams are doing well not to use more than 25 players a season. But I'd imagine that in the case of RL loans would be season long.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the best thread ive seen for a while. I like alot of the ideas raised by Psycho Doggie, Im just wondering if with all the extra teams there will be enough supporters for them. I dont know how many league supporters would change loyalty or how many new fans the game could capture.

Good discussion point though

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The sport gets the biggest TV audience in the country. People want to watch it, and many of us watch games that do not feature our favourite team.

This could be the opportunity to open up some of the surburban grounds again, for use for 2G games. Bring down their capacity, improve their facilities. Focus on a good experience at the game, with a crowd close to the action. It'll make for a better TV spectacle too. Games that will get a big crowd, shift to ANZ etc.

Realistically most fans have a couple of teams they have a soft spot for outside the team they are dedicated to following. In English soccer many fans of lower division teams have a team in the PL that they follow as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.