Time To Ditch Captains Challenge

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
OOOOK.

I don’t give a fark that that they get it wrong sometimes, what is important is they very often correct the ref’s (and linesperson’s) obvious mistakes. With the bonus that those mistakes are then impossible for the NRL to deny.

FMD “slowing the game down” a team only gets ONE captains challenge if it‘s wrong. It’s not like they can slow the game down countless times like Melbourne do with their incessant slow peeling and ruck interference. If it’s right then I’m farkin glad the game was slowed down to get an obvious mistake corrected.

Always a Bulldog
OOOK.

As long as you’re happy with this circus they still Rugby League then nothing else matters.

The fact is they’re still getting it wrong on Captains Challenge calls, now on a weekly basis. To say otherwise is completely wrong or Klein wouldn’t have been stood down this week.

So you agree with the decision of Bulldogs challenge that was deemed unsuccessful by the video ref, when he clearly got hit on the side of his head, was then sent to HIA and they deemed the Knights player was making a tackle. A tackle that saw Averillo go to the head bin.

Teams get 1 unsuccessful challenge per half and keep them if successful.

It’s a complete lucky dip if teams win them or not and judging by these last few weeks it needs to be dumped after this season.

It’s suppose to be professional sport yet last week in the Cowboys / Tigers match they were running around after the ref like it was an under 10’s game.

Get rid of it!
All irrelevant, even if they only get one captain’s challenge right in the whole round at least that’s one wrong decision that is righted.

Always a Bulldog

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All irrelevant, even if they only get one captain’s challenge right in the whole round at least that’s one wrong decision that is righted.

Always a Bulldog
In your mind. They’re getting wrong on a weekly basis, stands out like dogs and you’re OK with that.

The game is in decline since P V’L and Abdo took over.

They’ve made some good decisions early on by going back to one ref but now it’s just getting ridiculous with rule changes galore without knowing the repercussions of these rules and the fact they’re still getting decisions wrong on review.

Has to be done away with or fans will be turned off by rules that were OK in theory but has been shown up as a stupid rule as evidenced by their decisions these last 2 weeks.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While ever it is sponsored we'll be stuck with it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing is that now the refs can decide to go either way with most of the rules. Too much grey area results in inconsistent rulings. I've been vocal about thinking it's a method of allowing refs to influence the outcome of matches for a while.

I think with the benefit of hindsight, the NRL would never have implemented the challenge. And I personally think that given how often the refs are made to look incompetent they'd happily scrap the challenge. But at this stage I think most clubs are going to object if they remove the captain's challenge. Given that the NRL can fine coaches for speaking out against poor refereeing, the captains challenge is the only small bit of power to prevent blatantly obvious decisions going against a team.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There will be even less correct decisions if the captain's challenge goes

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didnt like the idea at first as its a gimmick.
Now I like it, it exposes inaccuracy with the refs decisions and often they can get it wrong during a match when challenges are successful.
I acknowledge that reffing would be a tougher gig than say 20 years ago.
Without a doubt. The refs will always make mistakes, they are human. But captains challenge gives every team a chance to overturn at least one bad call. I also love that you retain your challenge if correct. The only downside is that refs are not expected to get them right now it seems. Its as if they still had a good game, even if they got a few wrong. They also seem to get the decisions wrong after watching multiple replays sometimes.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it was KFC? Doesn't really matter, while ever the NRL are getting it paid for by someone else, they'll keep it.
Well they may very well do but if fans are happy to see the same crap as we saw in the Cowboys / Tigers game and the unsuccessful Challenge of Averillo being hit in the head and going to the head bin then I'd say interest will start to wane in the game very quickly.

Either officials are reading way much into things and getting it wrong time and time again or as someone said on another thread there could be no other conclusion than elements of corruption based on these ludicrous decisions.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree, ditch it. Watching the game live at ground it’s very frustrating. You just want to watch footy, not sit there. Take the good with the bad

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree, ditch it. Watching the game live at ground it’s very frustrating. You just want to watch footy, not sit there. Take the good with the bad
And if that "bad" cost your team a spot in the finals, or worst still, a grand final?

Would you be comfortable with it.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they may very well do but if fans are happy to see the same crap as we saw in the Cowboys / Tigers game and the unsuccessful Challenge of Averillo being hit in the head and going to the head bin then I'd say interest will start to wane in the game very quickly.

Either officials are reading way much into things and getting it wrong time and time again or as someone said on another thread there could be no other conclusion than elements of corruption based on these ludicrous decisions.
Yeah I get the Cowboys decision was an extremely bad one from the bunker, but overall I think they get the majority of calls correct, and when they don't the human involved usually gets demoted. And that's the thing, the technology of the bunker is always correct, what you see is what you see, unfortunately, the decision comes down to a human being and they may well see something you don't or not see something you do.

And while I hate gambling companies more than most, they really don't need influence over the bunker to make their millions, there are more than enough "professional gamblers" loosing their money to them.