Time To Ditch Captains Challenge

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Time to ditch the Bunker completely. Go back to 1 ref and just fucking adjudicate what's in front of you.

Over the time wasting and shit calls.
yean but Dumpster keeps you on the edge of your seat watching replays on KFC screen and all that shit to make the game MorE EXciTTing!!

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt like the idea at first as its a gimmick.
Now I like it, it exposes inaccuracy with the refs decisions and often they can get it wrong during a match when challenges are successful.
I acknowledge that reffing would be a tougher gig than say 20 years ago.
But they're still getting the Challenges wrong as well.

Last week Klein was stood down for an absolute howler of a decision and if there was no Captains Challenge that simply wouldn't have happened. I've also mentioned two other examples earlier on this thread where this rule is more trouble than its worth.

Averillo having to go to the head bin on the recommendation of the on field referee but we challenged the decision prior that clearly showed he was hit on the side of the head and no wonder he didn't get up but the video referee, unbelievably said the challenge was unsuccessful and then the on field ref said he needed to go the Head Bin which contradicts the ruling of the video referee and Averillo was half laughing when walking off with the trainer. Hopefully that player is cited in the match review committee.

So I'm the opposite, I thought it was good in theory but its been exposed as being not only another hold up in the game that the game can ill afford but also the video refs are still getting the Challenge decisions wrong.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They're still getting it wrong when they do decide on a Captains Challenge. Did you see the Cowboys / Tigers match?

Do you agree with the decision from the video ref when Averillo was clearly hit on the side of the head. Yet they ruled it unsuccessful and then to compound their ineptness the referee ordered Averillo to the HEAD BIN!

It hasn't improved the game at all, just slows the game down further and they're still getting it wrong after reviewing Challenges. It's a JOKE of a rule and we're heading down the path of American Gridiron if we keep introducing rules like this.
I don’t give a fark that that they get it wrong sometimes, what is important is they very often correct the ref’s (and linesperson’s) obvious mistakes. With the bonus that those mistakes are then impossible for the NRL to deny.

FMD “slowing the game down” a team only gets ONE captains challenge if it‘s wrong. It’s not like they can slow the game down countless times like Melbourne do with their incessant slow peeling and ruck interference. If it’s right then I’m farkin glad the game was slowed down to get an obvious mistake corrected.

Always a Bulldog

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But they're still getting the Challenges wrong as well.

Last week Klein was stood down for an absolute howler of a decision and if there was no Captains Challenge that simply wouldn't have happened. I've also mentioned two other examples earlier on this thread where this rule is more trouble than its worth.

Averillo having to go to the head bin on the recommendation of the on field referee but we challenged the decision prior that clearly showed he was hit on the side of the head and no wonder he didn't get up but the video referee, unbelievably said the challenge was unsuccessful and then the on field ref said he needed to go the Head Bin which contradicts the ruling of the video referee and Averillo was half laughing when walking off with the trainer. Hopefully that player is cited in the match review committee.

So I'm the opposite, I thought it was good in theory but its been exposed as being not only another hold up in the game that the game can ill afford but also the video refs are still getting the Challenge decisions wrong.
I think whats happened is the NRL went into this because its a spectacle. I dont believe they did it to make the game better, I think they did it because for some strange reason they thought the fans would enjoy the challenge, anything to get bums on seats. Thats why I said it was a gimmick.
I think to a degree its backfired on them which is a good thing.

For the most part it shows incompetence, lack of common sense and inconsistency (eg the Averillo example).
Inconsistency - If that was Ponga, it would have been a totally different story.
Inconsistency- Wadell than you have King.
Common sense - Contact to the head 0.5 meters from the ground or less would be deemed (unless obvious) accidental 10 years ago in head high situation. Now we see players getting put on report for the most minor of issues they cant back out of or have no control over.

I say I think its a good thing because I would hope that something would be done about the issues of inconsistency. With the challenge, the camera dont lie. Fatty was quite vocal about the bunker last week. Dont know if you heard what he said but he basically said the whole process for officiating needs an overhaul in the off season. Made out the officials are useless. Gus has been vocal about officiating. I hope they keep hammering away because the NRL wont listen to the fans unless we got 100,000+ fans and started marching.
We'll probably still need a few big game cock ups. Surely that's inevitable heading into the finals.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL doesn't like to be proven wrong so its here to stay.

So with that in mind, i'd make the following enhancements:

1. Add another challenge (1 per half)
2. Ability to challenge forward passes

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t give a fark that that they get it wrong sometimes, what is important is they very often correct the ref’s (and linesperson’s) obvious mistakes. With the bonus that those mistakes are then impossible for the NRL to deny.

FMD “slowing the game down” a team only gets ONE captains challenge if it‘s wrong. It’s not like they can slow the game down countless times like Melbourne do with their incessant slow peeling and ruck interference. If it’s right then I’m farkin glad the game was slowed down to get an obvious mistake corrected.

Always a Bulldog
OOOOK.

QUOTE="TwinTurbo, post: 4445734, member: 25437"]

Always a Bulldog
[/QUOTE]

OOOK.

As long as you’re happy with this circus they still Rugby League then nothing else matters.

The fact is they’re still getting it wrong on Captains Challenge calls, now on a weekly basis. To say otherwise is completely wrong or Klein wouldn’t have been stood down this week.

So you agree with the decision of Bulldogs challenge that was deemed unsuccessful by the video ref, when he clearly got hit on the side of his head, was then sent to HIA and they deemed the Knights player was making a tackle. A tackle that saw Averillo go to the head bin.

Teams get 1 unsuccessful challenge per half and keep them if successful.

It’s a complete lucky dip if teams win them or not and judging by these last few weeks it needs to be dumped after this season.

It’s suppose to be professional sport yet last week in the Cowboys / Tigers match they were running around after the ref like it was an under 10’s game.

Get rid of it!

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL doesn't like to be proven wrong so its here to stay.

So with that in mind, i'd make the following enhancements:

1. Add another challenge (1 per half)
2. Ability to challenge forward passes
I believe there already is one per half or there was and it changed as I actually posted it last week from another site.

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Captains challenge is good if your not the bulldogs and know when to use it

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Captains challenge has just highlighted how bad the ref's are

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Talk about corruption.
This is a still of the judiciary panel taken from 4 Corners documentary episode - 'The Final Winter'

cleary.png

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love seeing decisions overturned, has worked more than failed.
Video ref calls yes. Captain challenges definitely not. Recent weeks have highlighted how wrong they have been.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely needs to stay.

In May - the below info was provided by the NRL:

"Entering Round 12, there have been 148 challenges — 73 of which have been successful, 67 have been unsuccessful and eight were inconclusive."

The stats show that the refs are getting these decisions wrong in over 50% of challenges - that tells me it works. Furthermore, it really does highlight the need for teams to really push for decisions that they are really confident in.

We know some are gamesmanship to slow the play down, but if you recall a few weeks back when JMK challenged very early in the game (I think v Souths). We lost it - and then had 3-4 decisions against us, which we could not challenge.

It is definitely not a lottery, and if in my mind, losing 60 seconds of play for the correct call (to a degree) is worth it. We do not want the NFL, but there is a fine line in between. Games are still finishing in their allocated time slot - just have a look at games finishing back to back (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). They're still virtually B2B, with only GP causing delays.

People who sook about the break in play are literally crying over a minute or two lost.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
It was good in theory but has proven to be not only another hold the game could do without but it's unfair and that was evident not only in last weeks Cowboys/Tigers game where without it they would have avoided what was a very bad look for the game.

Cronulla in this game have lost their challenges and would've had won a challenge that lead to a try for Souths in what was a clear infringement on the player catching the ball but they had NO challenges left and staggered that the referee or touch judge didn't penalize. A few minutes later and Souths score when they shouldn't have.

Yes there are going to be calls you get and calls you don't, Payten said as much after last weeks debacle. Surely the video referee or touch judges should be more involved than having the game continually stopped for a Captains Challenge.

It was worth giving it try but time to but it in the bin permanently.
I can live with the captains challenge because in some cases a clear unfair call has to be overturned.

What I'm absolutely sick to fucked up death of, however, is the bunker reviewing EVERY TRY, then when a try is scored and points are awarded by the referee, the bunker can actually over-turn that decision, and literally wind the scoreboard back 4 points.

Talk about taking the game backwards :tonguewink:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can live with the captains challenge because in some cases a clear unfair call has to be overturned.

What I'm absolutely sick to fucked up death of, however, is the bunker reviewing EVERY TRY, then when a try is scored and points are awarded by the referee, the bunker can actually over-turn that decision, and literally wind the scoreboard back 4 points.

Happened because of the South’s game against us a few years back.

They scored. Awarded. All angles showed lack of evidence to suggest denying the try. Touchie, ref said all sweet. 4 points.

Then another angle is shown in the lead up to the conversion, and it was a dead set knock on. Brandy was even blowing up IIRC

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely needs to stay.

In May - the below info was provided by the NRL:

"Entering Round 12, there have been 148 challenges — 73 of which have been successful, 67 have been unsuccessful and eight were inconclusive."

The stats show that the refs are getting these decisions wrong in over 50% of challenges - that tells me it works. Furthermore, it really does highlight the need for teams to really push for decisions that they are really confident in.

We know some are gamesmanship to slow the play down, but if you recall a few weeks back when JMK challenged very early in the game (I think v Souths). We lost it - and then had 3-4 decisions against us, which we could not challenge.

It is definitely not a lottery, and if in my mind, losing 60 seconds of play for the correct call (to a degree) is worth it. We do not want the NFL, but there is a fine line in between. Games are still finishing in their allocated time slot - just have a look at games finishing back to back (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). They're still virtually B2B, with only GP causing delays.

People who sook about the break in play are literally crying over a minute or two lost.
Totally missed my point. Their decisions that I’ve pointed out have been proven clearly incorrect.

You say it’s not a lottery. So you agree with the howler made by Klein last week and the decision in yesterdays game that saw Averillo clearly hit in the head and the video clearly showed that and he went to the head bin. Yet the Bulldogs challenge was unsuccessful!

Were you even watching these games?

It’s just another stoppage and they’re still getting these calls wrong as evidenced over the last 2 weekends of play.

Game is becoming a complete joke and this rule has proven to be more trouble than it’s worth.

If your a coach you’d be telling your players NOT to use your Challenges until late in the game as it’s the difference between winning and losing

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

And the captain’s challenge is just extension of that and another stoppage the game can I’ll afford.

They’re getting the challenges wrong as evidenced by these last 2 weeks.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'd kind of base it on the NFL, they get 3 challenges and if wrong they lose a time out and can't challenge in thr last 2 mins of each half.

Give nrlol teams a challenge in each half (plus 1 for GP) and if wrong they lose an interchange.

It will stop teams challenging for a break while keeping incompetent/biased refs in check.

Last edited:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Totally missed my point. Their decisions that I’ve pointed out have been proven clearly incorrect.

You say it’s not a lottery. So you agree with the howler made by Klein last week and the decision in yesterdays game that saw Averillo clearly hit in the head and the video clearly showed that and he went to the head bin. Yet the Bulldogs challenge was unsuccessful!

Were you even watching these games?

It’s just another stoppage and they’re still getting these calls wrong as evidenced over the last 2 weekends of play.

Game is becoming a complete joke and this rule has proven to be more trouble than it’s worth.

If your a coach you’d be telling your players NOT to use your Challenges until late in the game as it’s the difference between winning and losing
So - you're going to use a single example to highlight the system is failing? One example? That, my friend, is called anecdotal evidence.

I have provided to you statistical information that on over a hundred cases, which in fact, highlights the opposite of what you're saying.

Furthermore - we actually won that challenge with Avo, because we retained possession. The ref was caught chatting with the bunker on the decision that was off-mic/camera after she initially ruled it as an unsuccessful challenge. It was initially ruled a knock on - they "cleared" it of being a high tackle (erroneous, because he was sent for a HIA), but overruled the knock on call (even though she said unsuccessful).

Again, it was the right decision (that it was not a knock on) - but they got there the wrong way.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Happened because of the South’s game against us a few years back.

They scored. Awarded. All angles showed lack of evidence to suggest denying the try. Touchie, ref said all sweet. 4 points.

Then another angle is shown in the lead up to the conversion, and it was a dead set knock on. Brandy was even blowing up IIRC
I know mate I remember that - the game that gave the Broncos the wooden spoon with a nice little bow tie :D

I just think that it's made the game worse because of the incompetence of a referee and a touch judge (who should be held accountable, and dropped). The referee should've gone to the bunker for that.