Opinion Time for everyone to calm down?

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Firstly let me say, I am a first timer but I have watched from the sidelines for a long time.

I am a voting member of the Football Club.

Here are my observations

The majority of posters here are not representative of the views of the footy club. The footy club has about 1000 members of which, I estimate 50% are over 55 years old (based on looking around the room at the AGM’s).
Of those (say) 500, I estimate that maybe 10 look at this site.

So that’s 500 votes that aren’t swayed by public opinion here and are also staunchly loyal to maintaining the status quo, because once you’re over that certain age, you like things as they are.

In saying that, the moves a few years ago to oust Dib were probably warranted after his increase salary cap fiasco failed. I don’t think he can be blamed entirely because It appears Todd gave Des free rein.
I don’t think he was such a bad Chairman, just took a gamble and lost. I believe that he had the interests of the Club in mind.

Similarly, McIntyre gambled and lost. After the cap scandal, poor old Gary would get up at every AGM to try and explain what happened with Oasis. It got so tedious that Dr George would shut him down. He still carries on about it on Talkin Sport. He’s like the Keyser Trad of the Dogs....the go to guy for controversy.

George also I believe had the best interests in mind but also got caught up in the Des drama as well as the 3 year car park build at the League Club, but fled the scene pretty quickly when his tenure was up. Don’t know why.

So the Anderson’s got swept into power but had said at their forums that they believed there was cap dramas but they were unaware of the extent.

When they arrived, they made no bones advising that the drama was much worse than they believed ( without having access to the books), and stated that there were a number of backended contracts that needed to be sorted.
What did they do, moved on the world beater Mbye (who is still trying to find his best position), Reynolds and Woods. Soon after best friend Klemmer spat the dummy and left.
No loss any of them.
At the subsequent fan forums, they advised that they aligned with the Northern Rivers district and had invested heavily in the local leagues. But what is always forgotten or never mentioned, is that the local area is predominantly(?) relatively from a Middle Eastern or European background and league is a foreign sport. Your parents influence the game you play and league is probably not the no.1 sport of choice. Why we haven’t targeted the Pacific countries like everyone else is beyond me.

The NRL rules are that you must have 30 registered players with a total spend of $9.6M (forgive me if that number is wrong). Because of the salary cap issues, it seems we had to sign players who were cheap enough to keep us under that figure. Hence the bad results over the last few years.

It was claimed that improvement would not be seen until 2021.

So where are we now.

A board that has done some good things with some failures but re-elected just 7 months ago when they weren’t challenged. It cannot be challenged that the 9 pillars have not been met.
They have signed Cotric (who on his own will not make any difference), Green and Waddell. They have released 9 players so there are still 6 spots to go. Nov 1 is not far away.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not convinced on this board yet either and they have just a few weeks to do something really worthwhile. If they fail to get any decent players, then I think the current motion would get traction.

So we have the faceless who have weighed in. A few weeks ago they claimed to have had 400 signatures to force an EGM. Now that number is 116. Led by the famous YouTuber John K. Telling all and sundry that the minor sponsors are annoyed that the major sponsor wants a say in how well his sponsorship dollars get spent. In the same way that minor members are annoyed that the major players have the say in the running of the place. Doesn’t make sense. (Don’t start on the freebies, everyone knows that there will be payment dates on normal commercial terms and If Laundy wants to get his hands dirty what’s the problem).

Their platform has been...don’t know. Who are they wanting on the Board...don’t know. Who is behind the push...Don’t know.

Presumably Coorey is behind it after the revelations of his indiscretions were announced to the SMH. you can probably guess who was behind that revelation.

Since that original SMH article, the gloves have been off on both sides.

All the while this is damaging further the brand.

What is the motive?
Maybe it’s good old fashioned revenge.

Anyway that’s my take. I believe the membership will give the current lot until 2021 to get it right. I believe that the current motion will fail, mostly because they are offering no alternative.
I think that there will be significant signings after Nov 1 and when TB and his clan arrive things will calm down.

Maybe I’ve misread the room but there is certainly too many power plays going on and the media know exactly who to call. This latest article by the SMH proves that.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly let me say, I am a first timer but I have watched from the sidelines for a long time.

Here are my observations

The majority of posters here are not representative of the views of the footy club. The footy club has about 1000 members of which, I estimate 50% are over 55 years old (based on looking around the room at the AGM’s).

So that’s 500 votes that aren’t swayed by public opinion here and are also staunchly loyal to maintaining the status quo, because once you’re over that certain age, you like things as they are.

In saying that, the moves a few years ago to oust Dib were probably warranted after his increase salary cap fiasco failed. I don’t think he can be blamed entirely because It appears Todd gave Des free rein.
I don’t think he was such a bad Chairman, just took a gamble and lost. I believe that he had the interests of the Club in mind.

Similarly, McIntyre gambled and lost. After the cap scandal, poor old Gary would get up at every AGM to try and explain what happened with Oasis. It got so tedious that Dr George would shut him down. He still carries on about it on Talkin Sport. He’s like the Keyser Trad of the Dogs....the go to guy for controversy.

George also I believe had the best interests in mind but also got caught up in the Des drama as well as the 3 year car park build at the League Club, but fled the scene pretty quickly when his tenure was up. Don’t know why.

So the Anderson’s got swept into power but had said at their forums that they believed there was cap dramas but they were unaware of the extent.

When they arrived, they made no bones advising that the drama was much worse than they believed ( without having access to the books), and stated that there were a number of backended contracts that needed to be sorted.
What did they do, moved on the world beater Mbye (who is still trying to find his best position), Reynolds and Woods. Soon after best friend Klemmer spat the dummy and left.
No loss any of them.
At the subsequent fan forums, they advised that they aligned with the Northern Rivers district and had invested heavily in the local leagues. But what is always forgotten or never mentioned, is that the local area is predominantly(?) relatively from a Middle Eastern or European background and league is a foreign sport. Your parents influence the game you play and league is probably not the no.1 sport of choice. Why we haven’t targeted the Pacific countries like everyone else is beyond me.

The NRL rules are that you must have 30 registered players with a total spend of $9.6M (forgive me if that number is wrong). Because of the salary cap issues, it seems we had to sign players who were cheap enough to keep us under that figure. Hence the bad results over the last few years.

So where are we now.

A board that has done some good things with some failures but re-elected just 7 months ago when they weren’t challenged. It cannot be challenged that the 9 pillars have not been met.
They have signed Cotric (who on his own will not make any difference), Green and Waddell. They have released 9 players so there are still 6 spots to go. Nov 1 is not far away.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not convinced on this board yet either and they have just a few weeks to do something really worthwhile. If they fail to get any decent players, then I think the current motion would get traction.

So we have the faceless who have weighed in. A few weeks ago they claimed to have had 400 signatures to force an EGM. Now that number is 116. Led by the famous YouTuber John K. Telling all and sundry that the minor sponsors are annoyed that the major sponsor wants a say in how well his sponsorship dollars get spent. In the same way that minor members are annoyed that the major players have the say in the running of the place. Doesn’t make sense. (Don’t start on the freebies, everyone knows that there will be payment dates on normal commercial terms and If Laundy wants to get his hands dirty what’s the problem).

Their platform has been...don’t know. Who are they wanting on the Board...don’t know. Who is behind the push...Don’t know.

Presumably Coorey is behind it after the revelations of his indiscretions were announced to the SMH. you can probably guess who was behind that revelation.

What is the motive?

Anyway that’s my take. I believe the membership will give the current lot until 2021 to get it right. I believe that the current motion will fail, mostly because they are offering no alternative.
I think that there will be significant signings after Nov 1 and when TB and his clan arrive things will calm down.

Maybe I’ve misread the room but there is certainly too many power plays going on and the media know exactly who to call. This latest article by the SMH proves that.
Super first up post...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We also need to remember we'll promote a couple of players (Doorey, maybe Topine and Schoupp - possibly one year behind due to COVID). We only need to recruit the right three to four players so that's okay if they actually do it.

We need to recruit players that are going to make a difference. Waddell is a squad player that at best should snag a bench position, he could be forced into the side similar to Stimson was. Cotric is the only signing that's good imo. We need a lot more.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Here are my observations

No loss any of them.

So where are we now.

What is the motive?

A well written common sense article mate.

Welcome to The Kennel.

Hope you don't get too frustrated by some of the posters on here who can't spell and have little or no understanding of grammar.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
We never moved reynolds on

we just didnt offer the useless no6 a new contract

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Lynne and the board want peace they need to sign Grant (900K - 1M) for 2021 and Burton for 2022. Brandon Smith at "minimum" for 2021 + Burton -and these need to be announced ASAP from this November. If they'd sold the Dogs a bit better and offered an extra 100K a season to sign Api Koroisau I seriously believe we wouldn't be where we are right now (we would have won a few more games this year).

They also should have treated CHN a bit better it seems. If we seriously wanted to keep him we could have easily outbid the Raiders. He was very important to us - a lot more important than to the Raiders. Foran would have been much more effective with CHN and RFM running off his passes and chasing his kicks.

People get impatient after 3 years of worsening results and no real sign of improvement. Cotric and Thompson (plus Waddell and Green) aren't enough. They said things would be better for 2021. They're leaving it very, very late in the day for major signings when this could have happened since November last year. I would have thought plans were in place to sign certain players. Looks like they're making it up as they go. They're lucky that Grant and Smith might be available. They better not waste their chance to make up for missing out on Koroisau.

Last edited:

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Lynne and the board want peace they need to sign Grant (900K - 1M) for 2021 and Burton for 2022. Brandon Smith at "minimum" for 2021 + Burton -and these need to be announced ASAP from this November. If they'd sold the Dogs a bit better and offered an extra 100K a season to sign Api Koroisau I seriously believe we wouldn't be where we are right now (we would have won a few more games this year).

They also should have treated CHN a bit better it seems. If we seriously wanted to keep him we could have easily outbid the Raiders. He was very important to us - a lot more important than to the Raiders. Foran would have been much more effective with CHN and RFM running off his passes and chasing his kicks.
I agree on CHN. Hopefully they will jag those signatures.
I’m not so sure on Api. If we did get him, he would still need a team of goers running off him. We didn’t/don’t have that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I can’t answer that question but to move on those players, there must be others in the wings
I'm sure there's players in the wings..but let's hope there players of real value and not more Britt or Stimson like signings.

I’m not sure Waddell is the scraps. Wasn’t he hand picked by TB
Waddel was a bit of a strike forward in the NYC, however since then he has gone through injuries, bulked up and lost that elusiveness that seperated him from the other forwards...he's just an average squad player now and we have plenty of those.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Here are my observations

No loss any of them.

So where are we now.

What is the motive?

Bravo Miranda! Could not have put it better!
Welcome to TK!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

People get impatient after 3 years of worsening results and no real sign of improvement. Cotric and Thompson (plus Waddell and Green) aren't enough. They said things would be better for 2021. They're leaving it very, very late in the day for major signings when this could have happened since November last year. I would have thought plans were in place to sign certain players. Looks like they're making it up as they go. They're lucky that Grant and Smith might be available. They better not waste their chance to make up for missing out on Koroisau.
CHN to the Raiders isn't a good move. How does he get into their back row with Whitehead and Tapine. Young's also been impressive and they have big red (Horsburgh) to come back who's a beast. I think he'll be in a similar situation to when we was at Penrith.

Also making it up as you go results in stop gap solutions and panic buys when it isn't necessarily.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here are my observations

No loss any of them.

So where are we now.

What is the motive?

Firstly thanks for taking time to fill us in,I’m sure we’re all grateful,for the insight,but one point I disagree with u,is that dib had the clubs best interest at heart,in business u must always have a plan b in case plan a doesn’t come fruition in regards to salary cap,and along with raelene castle,signed of on all the backended contracts,

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Signings will help but there’s a lot more to boards and people want power regardless of who we sign or don’t sign

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure Waddell is the scraps. Wasn’t he hand picked by TB
Have you seen Waddell play in a Manly side with a far better spine than us... he is the scraps. Green is the scraps. Cotric over paid who hasn't really performed when he has played in the centres in a strong canberra side, will be worse with our shit spine. Thompson, dont get me started, 950k on potential. That 950k could have been spent on proven nrl talent, not gambled away. He will be valuable, but never a 950k player.

So far. They have botched recruitment so far. Its that simple.

Do they have something up their sleeve? Maybe, but we can only judge on what we know. 2021, we have the money. If the board have not made us an attractive team for players to come to (not just because we'll overpay them), thats on them.

Last edited:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A well written common sense article mate.

Welcome to The Kennel.

Hope you don't get too frustrated by some of the posters on here who can't spell and have little or no understanding of grammar.
I cant spell and my grammar is very poor. I have trouble retaining information so its a constant frustration.
We all come from different walks of like.
Just because someone cant spell doesnt mean their opinion is any less than then next persons.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good post mate. You seem as frustrated as most and now would've been a good time to talk about a new chapter in our footy team going forward. Unfortunately the threads have been hijacked with unavoidable politics.
I'm not one to get involved as the issues are beyond me on who and what's involved.
I hope for the sake of our club there's a resolution in the best interests of the club and we can get back to keep the footy as our focus of attention.

Last edited:

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Here are my observations

No loss any of them.

So where are we now.

What is the motive?

Good Post.

Agree with most except for the Northern Rivers paragraph.

I have lived in Northern NSW since 1985 and I can assure you that the vast majority of residents are many generational anglo australians.
I don't have a problem with people of middle eastern or european backgrounds but is not really the case.

The number one winter sport has always been Rugby League. The biggest opposition the sport has is from the Victorians who move to the area and push the AFL barrier.