News Tim Lafai opens up on darkest of thoughts and his ’mental breakdown’ ahead of NRL return

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Publicly Tim Lafai’s breaking point was blood-soaked knuckles and an arrest.
But the truth is that moment seemed inevitable. If not that, then something far worse.

Lafai speaks to Michael Carayannis about that fateful day in April and how he has set about rebuilding his life after sinking to the lowest of lows.

Tim Lafai is ready to make his NRL return with the Bulldogs.
Tim Lafai is ready to make his NRL return with the Bulldogs.

Tim Lafai can’t remember exactly what happened before his Good Friday arrest at his south Wollongong home. He punched walls and damaged other property with his young family at home before police were called.

Lafai said he “blacked out”. The physical damage was evident. But what he had been hiding was the mental anguish he had been carrying for years.

It got to the point where he considered ending it all.

“There was a moment there I thought there is no more footy, no more career,” Lafai said.

“I started to doubt if I should be on this earth. I could feel myself thinking some dark thoughts.”

Lafai has suppressed mental demons for as long as he can remember. It has become an all too familiar story – the star sportsman who is invincible on the field but tried to mask how they were feeling off it. In his own words Lafai said he had a “mental breakdown”.

“It’s something that’s been building for a couple of years,” Lafai said.

Tim Lafai says his partner Jacquie was a massive support.
Tim Lafai says his partner Jacquie was a massive support.

“As much as we’re in the spotlight, we are still human beings. For years I’ve been brushing it off thinking ‘I’m a bloke, I’ll sweep it under the carpet and I’ll be fine’. I’d go onto the next week, the next month or the next year. I had no idea what I was doing to myself mentally. I was trying to close the lid on a hot pot and before you know it, it blows off.”

Lafai believed the attack – where no charges were laid – was sparked by the statewide lockdown. The future of the NRL was unknown. Off-contract at seasons’s end and despite playing in St George Illawarra’s opening two games Lafai doubted his place in the game. Cut off from the team environment, he struggled.
“Not knowing what the future held started playing on my mind,” Lafai said.

“A bit of anxiety starts kicking in. Before you know it, you have an anxiety attack. It was crazy you think you have everything under control.
“It was all a blur. I just blacked out. The next thing I realised I was in hospital. When I came out something didn’t feel right mentality and that morning I told my wife, Jacqui, that I needed to go back.”

Lafai checked himself into the south coast Private Mental Health hospital in Wollongong. He spent a week there while Jacquie looked after their four young children.

Lafai plyed the first two games of the season with the Dragons.
Lafai plyed the first two games of the season with the Dragons.

“I’d been holding back so much and it was all coming out the wrong way,” Lafai said.

“It was a long time coming but it worked out perfect, it made me take that step to get professional help. I would do everything all again.

“My wife’s family, my family and my agent Dave Rawlings have been so supportive. They were the ones who called the ambulance when the mental breakdown happened. My wife was so selfless. She put mine and our children’s needs before hers.

“Our partners and our close friends are just one chat away. It’s important for us blokes to remember that. They want us to open up. It lifts all the weight off your shoulders. You can only hold so much in before it comes out at some stage. I’m still a work in progress but I’m way ahead of where I was back then. I’m definitely proud.”

Lafai sees a psychologist once a week declaring “it has made a huge difference in my relationship”.

Just four months after that incident he will again play first grade. It will be in a different but familiar jersey for Lafai after exiting the Dragons to link up Canterbury ahead of their clash with Parramatta on Sunday. He made his NRL debut at the Bulldogs playing 74 games from 2011-2015.

“I’ll be nervous and excited at the same,” Lafai said.

Lafai played four seasons with the Bulldogs earlier in his career.
Lafai played four seasons with the Bulldogs earlier in his career.

“To get the opportunity to put the blue and white jersey on is an opportunity I don’t like lightly. It’s great to be back where it all started for me.”

The 29-year-olds on-field future beyond this year is unknown. He knows he needs to impress in his comeback games if he is a chance of extending his decade long career.
Regardless his long-term future is looking brighter than ever.

“I have a more positive perspective,” Lafai said.

“Footy isn’t around forever. Eventually it does come to an end. I’ve got my head around that. My family is everything. Everything I do impacts them. At the end of the day they are the ones that are going to be around me forever.”
If you or someone you know is in need help, call Lifeline on 131 114, visit lifeline.org.au, or call Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think alot of players need help with dealing with life post footy. One second you've got people admiring your ability next thing you're yesterday's hero.

All the best to him and hopefully he can get back to his best footy and give us some experience and assistance we need this year.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He looks ripped and ready to go, looking awesome back in his doggies jersey.!!!! Fucking can’t wait to see him play again tomorrow... good luck Tim, much love and support for your home coming game.!!! :smiley:

And much love to all of you who posted positive comments above , If there was a heart option I would have given you all one Instead of a like .!!!

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He looks ripped and ready to go, looking awesome back in his doggies jersey.!!!! Fucking can’t wait to see him play again tomorrow... good luck Tim, much love and support for your home coming game.!!! :smiley:

And much love to all of you who posted positive comments above , If there was a heart option I would have given you all one Instead of a like .!!!
I've got a feeling he'll do well for us this year and possibly beyond. Just by his physique alone he's far superior to Holland and the rest of our centres.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He brings experience, hope he doesn't try too hard and just goes about his business, good move by the dogs.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've got a feeling he'll do well for us this year and possibly beyond. Just by his physique alone he's far superior to Holland and the rest of our centres.
Bloody oath mate,he always has been an will be, I hope beyond as well..!!

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloody oath mate,he always has been an will be, I hope beyond as well..!!
If he shows us the form he had back in his last few years with us that's good enough for a contract renewal if our board has common sense. The rest of our players off contract this year can leave unless they're dirt cheap and can bust tackles.

Qlddoggie

New Pup
Reaction score
One of my favourite players when he played for us hope he has a ripper game today.
I never really understood mental health until a few years ago somebody close to me experienced some dark times, all the respect in the world to anyone who realises they need a bit of help. All love Tim.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Welcome home Timmy. I have a good feeling he’s gonna fire!

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never doubted his innocence from the moment that story broke, great to see him bounce back.
I did, the paper painted a pretty harsh story. I for one am glad he come out and owned it. Told his story.
I was very confused why the club signed him after what we were led to believe. Fuck the telegraph

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lafai sees a psychologist once a week declaring “it has made a huge difference in my relationship”.
This is a fairly intensive appointment schedule, it shows both that Tim has had a serious battle with mental ill-health, and that he is very serious about tackling it. Mental ill-health can effect anyone, regardless of age, gender, health and fitness, career, etc. Tim got help, firstly at that private mental health hospital, which would have been for immediate crisis intervention, and now with a Psychologist. It is really important that he has the close support of his family, it is so much harder for people with a broken family/support group to tackle mental ill-health.

I'm really glad for the club that they are willing to be a part of Tim's recovery journey, and really glad for Tim that he is on that journey. Hopefully he goes really well and the club sticks with him.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think most of us can empathise.

An uncertain future, with people relying on you. It can all become a bit too much sometimes.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is a fairly intensive appointment schedule, it shows both that Tim has had a serious battle with mental ill-health, and that he is very serious about tackling it. Mental ill-health can effect anyone, regardless of age, gender, health and fitness, career, etc. Tim got help, firstly at that private mental health hospital, which would have been for immediate crisis intervention, and now with a Psychologist. It is really important that he has the close support of his family, it is so much harder for people with a broken family/support group to tackle mental ill-health.

I'm really glad for the club that they are willing to be a part of Tim's recovery journey, and really glad for Tim that he is on that journey. Hopefully he goes really well and the club sticks with him.
Your awesome mate, lovely words and understanding, glad some are and couldn’t agree more.!!!