Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How are the Tigers not over the salary cap?

They've recruited enough players to form almost an ENTIRE first grade lineup.

This is just using their current gains for 2018.

1. Lolohea (mid season transfer) - amongst a bidding war
2. Watene-Zelezniak
3. Milne - amongst a bidding war
4. Fonua
5. Thompson
6. Gamble
7. Marshall
8. Twal
9. Reynolds - amongst a bidding war
10. Packer - amongst a bidding war
11. McQueen - amongst a bidding war
12. Matulino - amongst a bidding war

12 ... yes TWELVE players recruited... and some of them chased heavily by other clubs resulting in bidding wars.

Sure they released Ballin (mid season), Moses (mid season), Woods, and Tedesco, but they've also re-signed guys like Brooks and Nofoaluma (amongst a bidding war), Moses Suli, and others.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the term "bidding war" for all of the guys you mentioned.

Milne - would've been on peanuts
Packer - was due an upgrade, I don't think huge though...
McQueen - was unwanted by the Titans
Lolohea - obviously not that highly regarded if he was punted mid season.
Reynolds - from the reports, if true, they paid overs
Mautilino - would be coming across on semi-decent coin
Benji - on peanuts
The others are just niff nuffs, who will be squad players at best.

I think the "big 3" that left were on huge bucks, so in fairness this looks about right to me mate.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Remember the NRL can determine the worth of a player now.

Milne - they wanted to retain.
Benji - was on like "$100,000" at Broncos, and we all know what that means. Rumour was closer to $300k.
McQueen - still a decent player, and Hayne unwanted by Titans and on over a million a season.
Lolohea - was on like $200k at Warriors.
Reynolds - Was after $600k+
Matalino - on big coin
Packer - rumoured other clubs were willing to toss him close to a mill a season. Dragons, Knights and Tigers were all after him.

Now how true all that is who knows, but you can't recruit 12 players, resign several more on several hundred thousand dollar a year contracts, and still only released Tedesco, Moses, and Woods.

Woods would be covering Packers salary, Moses covering Reynolds, and surely Tedescos wouldn't be covering McQueen/Lolohea/Milne/Matalino.

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Your doing this to rile me up aren't ya.

Brooks-$550k
Matulino-$425k
Packer-$500k
McQueen-$400k
Reynolds-$750k
Lolohea-$400k
Marshall-$150k

That's $3.1m, the rest are on peanuts. Do you really think we're paying Eisenhuth, Liddle, Twal, Sue, Aloiai, Chee-Kam and Grant that much? we're basically using half a reserve grade squad this year. Even Nofoaluma, Marsters and Mcilwrick aren't on that much. Also, Lawrence's contract will be completely consumed by the veterans allowance next year.

Compare that to the Dogs.

Eastwood-$850k
Graham-$1m
Morris Bros.-$700k each
Mbye-$750k
Lichaa-$300k
Woods-$800k
Foran-$600k

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cleary got value for money except for signing Reynolds on massive overs. There is no way they are over.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cleary got value for money except for signing Reynolds on massive overs. There is no way they are over.
Yeah agree, they could have got Reynolds for much less.

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah agree, they could have got Reynolds for much less.
I'll concede that we've spent a lot for Reynolds. He's our riskiest signing as far as I'm concerned but, I think Ivan's got a plan for him. We'll just have to wait and see how he goes next year.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll concede that we've spent a lot for Reynolds. He's our riskiest signing as far as I'm concerned but, I think Ivan's got a plan for him. We'll just have to wait and see how he goes next year.
Overall I think you guys have recruited well (and that includes Ivan Cleary) and very quickly.

With Reynolds I think the tigers saved alot of potential issues for us by their offer. In view of our cap issues I'd say we didn't want Reynolds re-signing (however low the figure we offered was).

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Also, Lawrence's contract will be completely consumed by the veterans allowance next year.
That allowance is 300k at the moment, meaning the potential for the cap to be effectively 9.5 million. RLPA is still balking at figures projected.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Brooks-$550k
Matulino-$425k
Packer-$500k
McQueen-$400k
Reynolds-$750k
Lolohea-$400k
Marshall-$150k

That's $3.1m, the rest are on peanuts. Do you really think we're paying Eisenhuth, Liddle, Twal, Sue, Aloiai, Chee-Kam and Grant that much? we're basically using half a reserve grade squad this year. Even Nofoaluma, Marsters and Mcilwrick aren't on that much. Also, Lawrence's contract will be completely consumed by the veterans allowance next year.

Eastwood-$850k
Graham-$1m
Morris Bros.-$700k each
Mbye-$750k
Lichaa-$300k
Woods-$800k
Foran-$600k
@MrInvisible - I think you've just been "Tacky'd"!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Brooks-$550k
Matulino-$425k
Packer-$500k
McQueen-$400k
Reynolds-$750k
Lolohea-$400k
Marshall-$150k

Eastwood-$850k
Graham-$1m
Morris Bros.-$700k each
Mbye-$750k
Lichaa-$300k
Woods-$800k
Foran-$600k
Suli - million dollar like $250-$350k a season deal. Last deal was like 3 year million dollar.
Nofoaluma - would be on decent coin.
Marshall - well over $150k ..
Taylor - would be on reasonable coin along with Sue.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Forget the Tigers what about Roosters Warriors and Broncos? The latter especially

Are TPA not capped

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just imagine how much the Bulldogs would have paid for all the players @Mr Invisible mentioned that the Tigers got. :tearsofjoy:

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tigers would have done back ended deals like dogs of war.

Tacky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
ARE THE TIGERS FINISHED SPENDING?

While there are many clubs that are struggling to stay under the projected $9.2 million salary cap for next season, the Tigers still have room to add more quality to their roster.

Just getting Robbie Farah’s salary off their books in 2018 frees up approximately $700,000 to add to the hefty salaries that were commanded by Aaron Woods, Mitchell Moses and James Tedesco.

While they have signed Reynolds, Packer and Matulino on good money, the Tigers will still be in a position to add one or two additional pieces to the puzzle if the right players become available.

There has been speculation that Woods could yet be back at Concord next season, given Canterbury’s cap woes, but even if that doesn’t eventuate it would not be a surprise to see the Tigers add another high profile player to their roster in the next couple of months.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/80c77a3e9c0d0cd96c6f1b879c5b6ad1

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Robbie Farah was never going to count towards next years cap anyway (in the same way Dugan won't be on Dragons, or Tedesco on Tigers) as he was off contract in 2018.

Huge pressures on the side for next year after the recruitment done though...

That said ... @Tacky bloody bless your Tigpies today for two reasons.

1. Breaking Manly fans little hearts collectively.
2. Pushing us one step closer to the spoon. #bringit!

Status
Not open for further replies.