Tigers Confirm Talks With Cotric

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because they're a desperate and poorly run club that will take any decent players they can get. Whereas with Gus and Khoury running things, we're finally a club on the rise again that just signed $5 million worth of players who are better and more important to our success than Cotric is.

They've also signed Mbye, Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer and BJ Leilua in the last few seasons for over $2 million combined. Should we copy moves like that as well since they're such a well run and shrewd club?
Not saying we’re copying them or copy anyone in fact, all im saying is that we’ve got some value buys in Naden, Burns, so what that JAC & Cotric take up 1m of the cap… they’re both finishers & we’ve been crying out for 20+ tryscoring wingers for years… and we’re about to ship one off after just 1yr.

Grouping Cotric with Russell Packer, Josh Reynolds etc is an insult to Cotric…. Most of those guys are towards the end of their career’s, not Cotric ffs!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not saying we’re copying them or copy anyone in fact, all im saying is that we’ve got some value buys in Naden, Burns, so what that JAC & Cotric take up 1m of the cap… they’re both finishers & we’ve been crying out for 20+ tryscoring wingers for years… and we’re about to ship one off after just 1yr.

Grouping Cotric with Russell Packer, Josh Reynolds etc is an insult to Cotric…. Most of those guys are towards the end of their career’s, not Cotric ffs!
I'm not comparing Cotric to those players at all. You're wondering why if something is good enough for the Tigers then why isn't it good enough for us? The Tigers are a horribly run club. So we shouldn't be trying to follow anything they do.

Cotric is a solid player who is a victim of circumstance and being overpaid. If a club like the Tigers takes him off our hands without us paying any of his salary, then Gus will probably pull the trigger.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His best performances have come on the wing.
Except for that game v Warriors where he played 4 in Auckland a couple years ago, when he won the game with a 80m try then out leaps RTS for his try double

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Except for that game v Warriors where he played 4 in Auckland a couple years ago, when he won the game with a 80m try then out leaps RTS for his try double
I'm not saying he hasn't played well at centre because he has, but overall he's average in the role imo. With Cotric gone I think Naden to the wing is the right call...strong in the air, strong kick returns, good finisher, etc.

What bugs me is people thinking every new recruit is miles better than what they really are. Naden is a good athlete but has plenty of flaws and isn't anywhere near good enough to be a no questions asked starter at centre. If he starts there he starts there, it's not a major issue, I just think we're better off with him on the wing than some shitter and someone else starting at centre.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thankfully the Tigers are dumb enough to pay his full contract and let him play centres after how bad Cotric showed he was as a centre.
He was bad, not as bad as Leilua was for them & I think he was on even more than Cotric….they have a track record of over paying under performing centres..

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm not saying he hasn't played well at centre because he has, but overall he's average in the role imo. With Cotric gone I think Naden to the wing is the right call...strong in the air, strong kick returns, good finisher, etc.

What bugs me is people thinking every new recruit is miles better than what they really are. Naden is a good athlete but has plenty of flaws and isn't anywhere near good enough to be a no questions asked starter at centre. If he starts there he starts there, it's not a major issue, I just think we're better off with him on the wing than some shitter and someone else starting at centre.
But he’s probably our best centre option along with schoupp. Okunbor can battle lumelume for the other wing position.
Burns is to injury prone. Alamoti isn’t ready just yet

UpDaDoggies1935

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But he’s probably our best centre option along with schoupp. Okunbor can battle lumelume for the other wing position.
Aye where is this lumelume crap coming from?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was bad, not as bad as Leilua was for them & I think he was on even more than Cotric….they have a track record of over paying under performing centres..
No one is as bad as BJ Leilua. That was such a bad signing.. Cotric is a good winger on the right team but he's not a centre. He doesn't pass, has no awareness to read defenders and is an average defender at centre. The Tigers would be making a mistake by playing him there. He's much better on the wing as a metre eater coming out of your own end and is a good finisher.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I do think he is on too much, but we also have players on less than their potential value.. I see it as we make decisions based on where we sit and what we need. I still believe he will add something especially in a better side and that he shouldn't be judged on last season. I also think why weaken a squad that is already cap compliant for next season and not be able to add strength in areas that we need anyway.. who knows those areas (halves) may significantly improve next season and we still have players such as Cotric and don't need to go to market again, perhaps just develop further from within.. why plan as if to keep buy buy buy, when we may not have to ?!
I have never questioned his ability or form only his price tag, we are in the process of rebuilding a very strong and balanced team, if he leaves here is the reasons why...
1. We are yet to be totally clear from the overpaid under preformed long contracted players that no club wants,
2. We have signed many 1 year contract players way below their true value, if these players preform as well as expected they will need to be upgraded.
3. We have signed some big name players who will take a big chunk off the cap in 2023.
4. If for any reason Mahoney becomes available for 2022.
These are the players that will cover wing and centre if he leaves...Addo-Carr, Allen, Okunbor, Marsters Naden, Averillo, Schoupp, Burns, Alamoti
Some players can cover the two positions.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Yeah Naden is a great athlete that can break a game open but he's a bad defender as a centre. I agree he's much better suited to the wing. Like Dufty, he can be a rocks or diamonds player. Hopefully both can find some consistency and eliminate errors with us.

Alamoti probably won't start round one but I expect him to play FG at some stage next season. Burns is a solid centre that people underestimate. His performances on the field have never been a problem, he's just had a lot of bad injuries.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except for the defense part.
Or the attack part…..can’t believe the big unit & his soft efforts when trying to score last year. A number of times he would do that stutter step thing & then go down in field or get bundled out when he more than likely would have scored if he backed himself & didn’t attempt to avoid the heavy contact!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He really isn't that good a centre. I'd rather Burns/Averillo centre and Naden wing. Lumelume is fucking garbage and I wouldn't trust Okunbor until he actually performs in reserve grade.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Coming in late to the conversation here and admittedly I haven't read previous comments.... But it's not a good look for potential recruits when we're regretting their signing almost the next day and trying to palm them off to anyone that'll take them.

For the last 7 years we've signed and offloaded players as quick as they came and we've done the same to our older guys as well. We've lost all sense of loyalty and sticking to our word as a club.

How many club veterans have we had retire at the club in 7 years?