Tigers Confirm Talks With Cotric

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The players you mentioned were pushed out from the clubs though. "Vaughan & TPJ"
And Cotric will be pushed out. Every club does it. The Roosters, Storm and Rabbitohs don't get sentimental and are successful because they're ruthless. Why should we be any different?

If we could lock up Burton and some juniors for a few more years wouldn't it be worth it?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disgrace from the family club again.
I can't believe players still sign deals with us
U been hibernating it’s been going on for years,and not just the clubs the players are just as bad if not worse,remember as in any business results and the bottom line,are all that matters,loyalty went out the window long ago.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seems like it’s only a matter of time now. I just hope it means we def get Kikau or Mahoney this year

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah I can see the expediency in it, and to some degree he is a victim of the sense around the club at the time that we needed to overpay to attract top flight players, but it still sucks, and we are not as good without him.

Maybe we need a game plan that gets as much value out of our wingers as possible... they have the ability to deliver.
Why? He's a winger lol. I can understand kicking early for JAC with his pace but what could you do with Cotric that's different from the average winger? I don't think we lose much with Cotric gone and us reinvesting in the squad.

Stevo316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone have access to this article. Big offer for cotric apparently.

NRL 2022: Wests Tigers join race to snare Bulldogs winger Nick Cotric
A surprise contender is poised to hijack Nick Cotric’s return to Canberra after coming in with a big offer for the out-of-favour Bulldog.

Read Today's Paper
Tributes
SubscribeSign In
Daily Telegraph
My News
Local
NSW
National
World
Opinion
Business
Entertainment
Lifestyle
Sport

SportNRL
NRL 2022: Wests Tigers join race to snare Bulldogs winger Nick Cotric
A surprise contender is poised to hijack Nick Cotric’s return to Canberra after coming in with a big offer for the out-of-favour Bulldog.

Dean Ritchie
6 min read
November 28, 2021 - 3:40PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
He was poised for an immediate return to Canberra but in a late twist, former NSW winger Nick Cotric could now be headed to Wests Tigers.

Just a week after the club signed Parramatta forward Isaiah Papali’i for 2023, Wests Tigers have positioned themselves to secure Cotric, the Bulldogs star at risk of being squeezed out of Belmore under Phil Gould’s roster overhaul.

Desperate to appease fans with a big-name signing for next season, the Tigers ramped up their interest in Cotric on Monday after holding an official meeting with his management.

It comes as Wests have more room to move in their salary cap than Canberra.

The Daily Telegraph last week revealed that Cotric was being shopped around as the Bulldogs battle a salary cap squeeze and that he looked headed back home to Canberra.

While the Raiders are still hopeful, the Tigers have suddenly become favourites for Cotric.

Canterbury would prefer to offload Cotric – who earns $600,000 a season at Belmore — to Wests given the Tigers could inject more money into the swap than Canberra.

Canberra remain interested provided they can find some middle ground in a financial settlement with Canterbury.

Cotric, a former Australian winger, bought a home near Sutherland and wants to remain in Sydney. He wants to renovate his house.

His career has stalled though, winning just three games with Canterbury last year, losing his place in the NSW side and now appearing ready for a move to battling Wests Tigers.

Tigers struck a significant blow last week by signing Papali’i on a three-season deal from 2023.

New Tigers director of football Tim Sheens seems to be working some early magic at Concord. Tigers coach Michael Maguire also knows he requires a roster boost heading into next season given his tenure will again come under scrutiny with a sluggish start.

Signing Cotric just after Papali’i will ease some angst among Wests Tigers fans who have waited a decade for a finals appearance.

Tigers forward Luciano Leilua has signed a monster deal with North Queensland from 2023 but that move could be brought forward by a year if the player demands an early release.

Some of that Leilua money could be used for Cotric, who played in the 2019 NRL grand final.

While the move is highly unlikely, Wests Tigers have approached Storm star Brandon Smith.

There is no suggestion Parramatta will allow Papali’i to walk out for Wests Tigers a year early.

Meanwhile the Tigers have announced the signing of promising outside back Junior Tupou for the next three seasons.

The 19-year-old former Brumbies player represented the Junior Wallabies this year after switching to rugby union following a stint with the Canberra Raiders SG Ball team.