Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Margie McDonald
Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 27 Feb 2019, 04:31 PM

A return to less structured football, keeping off-field issues separate from their performance and the resurgence of Kieran Foran will result in the Bulldogs rising again in 2019, according to skipper Josh Jackson.

Canterbury won four of their last six games in the 2018 Telstra Premiership season to climb to 12th on the NRL ladder after wallowing with Parramatta in the cellar for most of the year.

Jackson said any negative headlines surrounding the club at the end of last year had been put in the rear-view mirror and wouldn't undo the momentum Dean Pay and his players had garnered.

"We've trained well and we're confident about each other as a group. I feel we're way ahead, footy-wise, of where we were this time last year," he said.

"The last six games last year we showed the style of footy that really suits us and we've worked on that the whole pre-season.

"It's a more relaxed style – a lot less structured with some ad-lib in there.

"We started last year trying to force things and being really structured. It just doesn't suit us. We need to be more free-flowing and we will be."

Moving Kieran Foran to No.6 from No.7 will also have an immediate impact, Jackson feels, which was on show last Saturday when the Bulldogs played Canberra in Bega in a trial.

Lachlan Lewis and Jack Cogger shared the halfback role against the Raiders.

"When Kieran plays his best it's when he runs the ball a lot. Last year we tried to have him at halfback as more of the ball distributor. But this year Lachie or Jack will play that role and Kieran will have that running mentality," Jackson said.

"I remember playing against him when he was at Manly and he was so tough to handle as he'd just run with the ball and became so unpredictable.

"His body is now finally right – in really good shape – he hasn't missed a session. He is really fit and hopefully you'll see the benefits of all that."

It will indeed be nice to have the old Kieran Foran back – a player who hardly missed a game in seven seasons with Manly but then played sporadically with a different club the next three – 2016 with the Eels, the Warriors in 2017 and the Bulldogs in 2018.

After injuries restricted him to 12 games last year, a rejuvenated Foran is craving a return to the form and the influence he had in games that earned him Test caps with New Zealand.

Canterbury captain Josh Jackson.©NRL Photos
The Bulldogs want to put aside coach sackings, player departures, salary cap woes, and reputation blows and get back to the NRL finals after two years in the wilderness.

Another item buried in the Bulldogs' backyard was the fallout from their Mad Monday celebrations last September and said the club had moved on from the controversy.

"It was an embarrassing time for us, for everyone involved, and it certainly doesn't represent us as a club – who we are and who we want to be," Jackson said.

"Individually it doesn't represent the players at all. It's been well-documented all that Adam [Elliott] has done for the community for example, and it hurt him and Marcelo Montoya and the others involved.

"They were thrown into the newspaper and shown to be this certain type of person who they completely are not.

"In hindsight it was a silly mistake. But people don't get to see who those players are every day and who they are as people. It was hard to see them go through that and their families to go through it. I'm glad we're over it now and that we're smarter and stronger for it."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/27...-for-canterbury-success-in-2019-josh-jackson/

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Margie McDonald
Senior Reporter
Timestamp

A return to less structured football, keeping off-field issues separate from their performance and the resurgence of Kieran Foran will result in the Bulldogs rising again in 2019, according to skipper Josh Jackson.

Canterbury won four of their last six games in the 2018 Telstra Premiership season to climb to 12th on the NRL ladder after wallowing with Parramatta in the cellar for most of the year.

Jackson said any negative headlines surrounding the club at the end of last year had been put in the rear-view mirror and wouldn't undo the momentum Dean Pay and his players had garnered.

"We've trained well and we're confident about each other as a group. I feel we're way ahead, footy-wise, of where we were this time last year," he said.

"The last six games last year we showed the style of footy that really suits us and we've worked on that the whole pre-season.

"We started last year trying to force things and being really structured. It just doesn't suit us. We need to be more free-flowing and we will be."

Moving Kieran Foran to No.6 from No.7 will also have an immediate impact, Jackson feels, which was on show last Saturday when the Bulldogs played Canberra in Bega in a trial.

"When Kieran plays his best it's when he runs the ball a lot. Last year we tried to have him at halfback as more of the ball distributor. But this year Lachie or Jack will play that role and Kieran will have that running mentality," Jackson said.

"I remember playing against him when he was at Manly and he was so tough to handle as he'd just run with the ball and became so unpredictable.

"His body is now finally right – in really good shape – he hasn't missed a session. He is really fit and hopefully you'll see the benefits of all that."

It will indeed be nice to have the old Kieran Foran back – a player who hardly missed a game in seven seasons with Manly but then played sporadically with a different club the next three – 2016 with the Eels, the Warriors in 2017 and the Bulldogs in 2018.

After injuries restricted him to 12 games last year, a rejuvenated Foran is craving a return to the form and the influence he had in games that earned him Test caps with New Zealand.

Canterbury captain Josh Jackson.NRL Photos
The Bulldogs want to put aside coach sackings, player departures, salary cap woes, and reputation blows and get back to the NRL finals after two years in the wilderness.

Another item buried in the Bulldogs' backyard was the fallout from their Mad Monday celebrations last September and said the club had moved on from the controversy.

"It was an embarrassing time for us, for everyone involved, and it certainly doesn't represent us as a club – who we are and who we want to be," Jackson said.

"Individually it doesn't represent the players at all. It's been well-documented all that Adam [Elliott] has done for the community for example, and it hurt him and Marcelo Montoya and the others involved.

"They were thrown into the newspaper and shown to be this certain type of person who they completely are not.

"In hindsight it was a silly mistake. But people don't get to see who those players are every day and who they are as people. It was hard to see them go through that and their families to go through it. I'm glad we're over it now and that we're smarter and stronger for it."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/27...-for-canterbury-success-in-2019-josh-jackson/
Kieran Foran Screenshot_20190227-224902_Google.jpeg

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Margie McDonald
Senior Reporter
Timestamp

Canterbury captain Josh Jackson.©NRL Photos

your a bloody Champion of a Player and Leader Jacko, luv your dedication to the club. True bulldog

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great read, thanks Off-Tapp-Robbie...

But all this talk is just that at the moment..its great it’s aweaome positive vibes, I love it. BUT you know what they say right??

Actions Speak Louder Than Words..!!
Let’s just go 2019 god dam lol.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't go to lock we need you on the edges and running lines.

Go Dogs
Jacko run lines? Where? When? Can somebody please think of the children !

Nah seriously.. Jacko hasnt ran a decent line since his 18th b'day.

Martin and chn and prob C Smith run the smartest lines and should be our edge forwards.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol.

If you think Josh Jackson runs smart lines then that's you and your reputation bud. I'll gladly stay out of this one.
Hasn’t helped he’s played most of his career outside ball players who couldn’t pass properly or read the game. Can run all the great lines you like but unless the ball goes to the right place it’s not going to achieve anything. You’ll see a lot more from him in attack this year with better halves, and the middle third not hogging the ball when defenses are back pedaling.
He’s our best forward, why gas him playing in the middle, 2 guys can share that role, leave Jacko on the edge so he plays 80 minutes

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Lol.

If you think Josh Jackson runs smart lines then that's you and your reputation bud. I'll gladly stay out of this one.
Jackson is far more talented then he gets credit for. Shit halves have hampered his career for way to long.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol.
After you watch the NRL training video on running lines, then if I may be so bold as to suggest that you follow it up by watching a few games and pay attention to the lines that Jackson actually runs.

Go Dogs

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hasn’t helped he’s played most of his career outside ball players who couldn’t pass properly or read the game. Can run all the great lines you like but unless the ball goes to the right place it’s not going to achieve anything. You’ll see a lot more from him in attack this year with better halves, and the middle third not hogging the ball when defenses are back pedaling.
He’s our best forward, why gas him playing in the middle, 2 guys can share that role, leave Jacko on the edge so he plays 80 minutes
Jackson gets the ball and runs straight at the tackler, he never picks a hole BUT in saying that I once said I don't want him in the middle because I want to prolong his career, so I get what your saying... For me now though, 60mins of Jacko is enough if we got RFM and CHN down the edges with Elliot coming in and doing his crazy thing in short stints. Its just a more balanced side... Then again I might just be getting inpatient.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson is far more talented then he gets credit for. Shit halves have hampered his career for way to long.
Surely you saw Foran try to put him in short.. Surely. He lost it with Des.. lol

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Jacko run lines? Where? When? Can somebody please think of the children !

Nah seriously.. Jacko hasnt ran a decent line since his 18th b'day.

Martin and chn and prob C Smith run the smartest lines and should be our edge forwards.
That inside line he runs absolutely shits me

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shit halves have hampered the Bulldogs for way too long! Thank God for the prince.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ingredients for success in the game of chess League is, is concentration, speed, skill, fitness, determination and desire.