Three huge calls that cost us big time

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll get into the 10 metre difference after this. But the ref made three huge calls that kept Melbourne in that. In no particular order.

1) The penalty try. He has every right to try to knock the ball away. He did this and 9/10 times it goes without penalty. He didn't take out a player off the ball.

2) Right on halftime Smith from memory played the ball before the siren. But the ref blew his whistle before the siren. The whistle had stopped blowing 1/2 a second before the siren. We should have had one more chance to attack on the line.

3) In the second half we made a break, every Melbourne player was offside. Ref says he played advantage, but there was a questionable amount of advantage. Should have been a penalty close to their line given we made about 3 metres.

Now I might have missed some things. But these stood out to me. Aside from that i noticed a huge difference in the 10 metres. Almost every set Melbourne had three tackles where they only had to get back about 8 metres. We were operating with a 12 metre mark. Now numerous forward passes slipped the attention of the ref, a glaringly big forward pass led directly to a try.

I am proud of the team for staying in the game. But once again poor refereeing has me on the verge of rage quitting as a supporter. I'm going to make the bold prediction that nothing is going to be done regarding punishing Melbourne's men in pink.

Bbyss

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'll get into the 10 metre difference after this. But the ref made three huge calls that kept Melbourne in that. In no particular order.

1) The penalty try. He has every right to try to knock the ball away. He did this and 9/10 times it goes without penalty. He didn't take out a player off the ball.

2) Right on halftime Smith from memory played the ball before the siren. But the ref blew his whistle before the siren. The whistle had stopped blowing 1/2 a second before the siren. We should have had one more chance to attack on the line.

3) In the second half we made a break, every Melbourne player was offside. Ref says he played advantage, but there was a questionable amount of advantage. Should have been a penalty close to their line given we made about 3 metres.

Now I might have missed some things. But these stood out to me. Aside from that i noticed a huge difference in the 10 metres. Almost every set Melbourne had three tackles where they only had to get back about 8 metres. We were operating with a 12 metre mark. Now numerous forward passes slipped the attention of the ref, a glaringly big forward pass led directly to a try.

I am proud of the team for staying in the game. But once again poor refereeing has me on the verge of rage quitting as a supporter. I'm going to make the bold prediction that nothing is going to be done regarding punishing Melbourne's men in pink.
Mate 12-0 Bulldogs leading rules changed we were never going to win...

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We got penalized twice in one set if you recall. Elliott offside close on Storms line, followed by one where Munster places the ball on the ground whilst on his knees and a penalty against us. That was the killer. Im sure the rule changed last year where a player had to get up on their feet before playing the ball. It was BS call.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the one on half-time deserved a penalty, they wouldn't let him get up and basically held him until the ref decided that it was half time. Also, at least two classic storm forward passes in the second half were missed (or ignored) by all officials. Bulldogs should have been given the ball and they'd be on the attack in storm half instead storm just rolled-on down the field and waited for the inevitable penalty to come.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s a shame isn’t it. We lost a lot of games last year by 6 points or less and when you think that we are lucky to get any calls last season and today makes you wonder how bad are we really?

Get those calls today we are 2-2 after a bad start. We win a few close games last year and we make the 8. Sooner or later those calls will start to go our way...we’ll i hope !

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We fucked up by not taking the field goal at the end of the first half. Melbourne would have been under more pressure knowing they had to score 3 times.
It’s obvious this team is young and far from the finished article. The backs have so much potential and can only get better with more game time and confidence.
The halves will learn to manage the game better too. I thought there were times in the second half they should have kicked for touch and given our forwards a breather. Would have been more useful than nothing kicks straight to their fullback.
It’s nice to see us be competitive

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Since when are players allowed to yell at the ref in anger and right up in there face "what's wrong with you?"
I though Cam (I’m assuming it’s Smith you’re referring to) said something along the lines of “yeah but you’re wrong!” After the ref explained to him a couple of time why they ruled how they did...and the penalty was 100% justified!

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fair comments, I didn't take too much notice of the 10 as it seems random to me at the best of times. A brilliant effort by the boys, a few errors at key times cost us. My thoughts on your key points.

1) It's a tough call, but by the letter of the law it's hard to argue against the penalty try... a second later and it wouldn't have been. If the roles were reversed we would be demanding a penalty try. Melbourne could argue their disallowed try, but again as the rules stand it's a penalty every time;

2)I think we should have been awarded a penalty as Melbourne were obviously stalling for time and holding him down. Melbourne were allowed to get away with murder in the ruck today (Their standard modus operandi);

3)I can recall two occassions where Melbourne were lucky (if normal standards prevailed) not to have a player in the bin for a professional foul after a second go at a tackled player.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We got penalized twice in one set if you recall. Elliott offside close on Storms line, followed by one where Munster places the ball on the ground whilst on his knees and a penalty against us. That was the killer. Im sure the rule changed last year where a player had to get up on their feet before playing the ball. It was BS call.
Yep that one pissed me off he was still fighting in the tackle hence why we held on... then he goes to play it still fighting half on the ground... if any 'lesser' team dropped the ball in that scenario, the ref would say "you have to get to your feet to play the ball" clear rules for some and rules for others

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. You must be standing to ptb (any other team the ref says no, and penalises the player. In this case he gifted it to Munster).

This sort of thing happens in practically every storm game.

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep that one pissed me off he was still fighting in the tackle hence why we held on... then he goes to play it still fighting half on the ground... if any 'lesser' team dropped the ball in that scenario, the ref would say "you have to get to your feet to play the ball" clear rules for some and rules for others
The storm were demons for moving off the mark.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I though Cam (I’m assuming it’s Smith you’re referring to) said something along the lines of “yeah but you’re wrong!” After the ref explained to him a couple of time why they ruled how they did...and the penalty was 100% justified!
Ahh, ok, perhaps I misheard it.

Either way he ended up yelling at the ref in a very insubordinate manner because the ref wouldn't entertain his argument.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ahh, ok, perhaps I misheard it.

Either way he ended up yelling at the ref in a very insubordinate manner because the ref wouldn't entertain his argument.
Agree totally. Should’ve been marched 10 as a minimum, but they have fucking “immortal” goggles. I guess they felt they were bein hard on him for penalising the immortal in the first place.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And 5hey should sight that big coconut for trying to twist meanys leg off

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ref should have advanced penalty 10 for the Smith comment.
Refs allowed storm to hold us down, walk 5 meters forward off the mark and play the ball not square the whole game. 8 to 4 penalty count was the crucial difference

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember an obvious fwd pass by CSmith in the 64th minute. One of many

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To much bias and corrupt officiating, was sloppy yet there for all to se how blatantly obvious some of those incorrect calls were.. we never get 50/50 decisions go our way either!! If we did things would be a lot different.

We gave the storm a huge scare today.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The siren isn't the official end of the half or game.

Refs go by their watches.

The watches stop when there is stoppages in play etc.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

That Fucking " Cummings " is a low Fucking Bustard, Who has given us the raw end of the stick for years, Penalty Try my Fucking arse, Every try we have ever scored always gets sent up to the fucking bunker with fuckface in the middle calling it a no Try, you are spot on about the 10 metres and the blowing of the whistle before the siren. If anyone had money bet on the Melbourne Storm it would be that Funking prick of a Ref - Cummings. Full Credit to our boys I am so proud of them, They made the cheating **** work overtime today & gave him a cold sweat, May he rot in hell that Prick with ears.