Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Thoughts on Kyle Flanagan

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are going all in on Sam Walker at 7. They are not getting Burton.
This. I think Walker needs at least another year to develop and bulk up as he's tiny compared to NRL players. Which is why I think Lam will get a run in 2021.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thoughts... Roosters bubble has burst.

If they think replacing Flanagan with an untried 18 year old will yield instant success, they really do have their heads up their arse.

They have an squad that is ageing and just cant fix that in 1 or 2 seasons (especially when you have no juniors like Penrith) and expect to be winning GF's again.

Not only that, they have blokes like Cordner and Keary that are pivotal to the team and are 1 serious head knock away from ending their careers.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As posted elsewhere;

The real problem at the Chooks was Robinson not recognising that 20 games straight required a different approach, particularly with the ageing of his top level players. Reliable sources (several in fact) have told me that he flogged the crap out of them during the Covid break, which was always going to lead towards late season burn out. Basically they had 2 pre seasons this year. Which also resulted in some injuries due to player fatigue. Too late he realised that he had farked up, then tried to rest players and even brought in SBM as desperate measure to instil some life into a rapidly fading team.

Robinson is the "magic coach", contracted till the end of 2022, paying him out is simply not on due to the NRL Football Operations Tax. So him copping the blame just won't do, so the Chooks media machine spins into action and passes the blame on to Flanagan. When that doesn't work, which it won't, they will then try to spin another into the blame game ............ (fill in the blanks while waiting for them to nominate who the next victim is).

Go Dogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When Flanagan was signed by the chooks I was under the impression that most people felt that they had done it again, signed yet another good player and somehow fit him under their sombrero. Didn't he have some pretty impressive games for the peptides in 2019? He was looking pretty impressive as I recall.

His stats don't indicate a total fail in attack either, particularly considering he was clearly the junior half. He had more try assists than Chad Townsend, Munster, Mitchell Moses, and some bloke called Lewis. More line break assists than Jack Wighton, Mitchell Moses, Munster, and that Lewis bloke. More line engaged runs than Luai, Gutherson, Munster, and Lewis.

In terms of his defence, he has less missed tackles than Cleary, Adam Reynolds, Manu, Munster, Luai, Moses, Ash Taylor, and Pearce (but more than Lewis).

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Flanagan was signed by the chooks I was under the impression that most people felt that they had done it again, signed yet another good player and somehow fit him under their sombrero. Didn't he have some pretty impressive games for the peptides in 2019? He was looking pretty impressive as I recall.

His stats don't indicate a total fail in attack either, particularly considering he was clearly the junior half. He had more try assists than Chad Townsend, Munster, Mitchell Moses, and some bloke called Lewis. More line break assists than Jack Wighton, Mitchell Moses, Munster, and that Lewis bloke. More line engaged runs than Luai, Gutherson, Munster, and Lewis.

In terms of his defence, he has less missed tackles than Cleary, Adam Reynolds, Manu, Munster, Luai, Moses, Ash Taylor, and Pearce (but more than Lewis).
Geez what a machine.. However tackling is the most vital part of a half backs job... so because of that... I'm leaning towards Lewis retaining his position.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nah fuck em, they signed the kid to a decent deal they can keep him, they only want to offload him to resign lam who is off contract, hope someone else signs lam.
a decent coach would stick with him, i doubt mister potato head would punt him.
He isnt the main reason they lost, his pack got outmuscled, nothing to play off.
I read somewhere that he was on 280k? Or maybe that is the Roosters version of his wages....

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan yes piss Greene off bring in Benji youth and experience can't go wrong

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone can get the halves right it’s Barrett. Whether that’s buy, develop or both. He’s got it sorted. Finals footy next year.