Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Thoughts on Kyle Flanagan

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
(this isnt a thread saying we should sign him, just gauging everyones thoughts on him)

Roosters seem to be throwing the kid under the bus along with their fans and a headline in the DT seems to suggest Lam or Walker will get the nod ahead of him.
So considering Green is injured and likely to backflip to coach at knights along with Lewis being shit... would you like us to pick the kid up if he wants out and Chooks pay some freight ? or would you steer the fuck clear.

To put it in perspective though Chooks have gone from Cronk down to Flanagan and they are cheats who are use to success currently. Alternatively we are a club thats struggled for years so is a halfback who helped a team make top 4 such a bad option for a team like us ? i dunno tbh.

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd take him for his goal kicking alone.

All seriousness, I think Trent Robinson has tried to mould him into Cooper Cronk - who he simply isn't. I liked Flanagan more last year at the Sharks when he was playing his more natural running 5/8 style game.

Sign him up.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't know but if even the roosters don't make you look good, you're not that good.

Crapa is a great example of this.
This is true, even though Croft didn't kick on this year... I see Flanagan fall into a similar bracket as he once did with Smith giving Munster all the good ball. Roosters do the same except it's to Keary and Tedesco, probably hasn't helped the kids confidence

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'd take him for his goal kicking alone.

All seriousness, I think Trent Robinson has tried to mould him into Cooper Cronk - who he simply isn't. I liked Flanagan more last year at the Sharks when he was playing his more natural running 5/8 style game.

Sign him up.
Yeah he was more effective then, Sharks season actually fell apart when they dropped him for Johnson. One thing I will add is that he is good mates with Blayke Brailey would consider signing him just to use him as a pawn next time he's off contract lol...

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
This is true, even though Croft didn't kick on this year... I see Flanagan fall into a similar bracket as he once did with Smith giving Munster all the good ball. Roosters do the same except it's to Keary and Tedesco, probably hasn't helped the kids confidence
I think you're spot on bro.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep I'd definitely take him. I think the Roosters have earmarked Sam Walker as their long term halfback and it's just a matter of time before that happens. Flanagan looked alot better last year playing for the Sharks without so many constraints on him like he has at the Roosters.
Cronk has come out and endorsed him and I have heard other commentators say how much of a student of the game he is. I think he would be a great fit for us in that he would grow with the team and eventually turn into the main man. The kid is only 21 and I think he is destined to be a long term dominating number 7. Plus his goalkicking is top level

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Always thought he was highly overrated in the small amount of games I've seen him play. But it's a small sample size that I'm judging from.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Always thought he was highly overrated in the small amount of games I've seen him play. But it's a small sample size that I'm judging from.
I thought so aswell at times this year with roosters. But when he has been given the ball early with some time and space he's made some nice passes out to Manu. It's no coincidence Manu went pretty quiet in the back half of the season by his standards as he was getting less quality ball as it's all teddy out the back.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah fuck em, they signed the kid to a decent deal they can keep him, they only want to offload him to resign lam who is off contract, hope someone else signs lam.
a decent coach would stick with him, i doubt mister potato head would punt him.
He isnt the main reason they lost, his pack got outmuscled, nothing to play off.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He carried a huge weight on his shoulders replacing Cronk this year and it might have been too much for him this early in his career. At the sharks he smiled through games, ran the ball a little more. At the Roosters he always looked stressed and a little unsure and never over ruled Keary, Teddy etc. He was the ‘other’ option in that attack and wouldn’t have been great for his confidence. I definitely think he’ll improve from the experience though, and reports are that he is an honest and hard worker on his game. I think he continues to improve and becomes a good club level half.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He's on like 300k @ the Roosters lol

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Depends on the price, but honestly this year hasn’t done anything to suggest he’s a top line Half. As others have mentioned, if you haven’t looked good in that team you might just not have it. Was dropped a couple times.

Malla

Reaction score
Would definitely take him. A lot better than anyone we currently have lol.

I think just the environment and team he came into at the Roosters, expectations were different and he was never ready for that so early on in his career. You would have expected Keary to take the heat off him, but Keary isn't that type of player. He runs the ball well and creates stuff on the back of good go forward, but he couldn't run a bath let alone a footy team around the park.

My only reservation for him would be how bad his defense is. Probably on par with Mitch Moses as the worst defending half in the comp.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A mate of mine coached against him in the Sharks juniors. Nicknamed him the turnstile. Told me in one game his coach moved him to fullback to keep him out of the front line defence knowing he would be targeted. Roosters have hidden him well in defence with a back rower inside him much like the Broncos did when they had Toni Carroll defending inside Lockyer to save Lockyer's petrol for attack.

e

RobT

Mass debator
Reaction score
The Chooks can keep him. I'd prefer Lam. I thought he looked good in his few games this year. Can play halves or hooker. With Walker coming through he'd have a lot more opportunity at the Dogs, I'd expect. Send Lewis to Melbourne or somewhere.