Opinion Thoughts on Averillo

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Iv changed my thinking re Averillo and a few others - start him at FB DWZ to the wing bring in Harper to centre with Hopoate put smith back on the wing Wakeham n Foran in the halves.
Unless Meaney has clear space he has nothing and cant do the job of bringing back the ball, Chrichton was better last night.

Britt cant play second row - too slow as was shown in the trials - oppos get to his outside should too quickly - middle bench or grandstand.

Desperately short of second rowers who can break a defence and defend on the edge - Elliot n Jackson are far more suited now to the middle.

Lewis to the bench - at best - admire his defence but his attack is woeful.

Zac Hollywood - well said - Averillo is a natural footballer but defensively he will struggle in fg but the only place someone can improve is by playing fg - not likely to get better watching - no NSW Cup is an issue as well.
Your point about DWZ - so true - good that he runs hard but any good defneder or two contains him - they know he wont pass or step.
Cogger was crap at Newcastle - ordinary defender ordinary with the ball - enough opportunities.
Averillo did play fullback during one of our trials so surely means he has at least done some work their over the offseason and the club somewhat views that as a potential option? It does feel like the best position to blood him in as long as he isn't shit scared of taking a bomb and has a reasonable understanding of a lot of the off the ball work in defence.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How good seeing him turn turbo inside out!

He's a very very special talent. 19 years old.

For the moment pick him left side centre where he's played a lot of his junior level. It's a big call to throw him straight into FB. On the outside of Foran and hopefully wakeham he will beast teams.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
How good seeing him turn turbo inside out!

He's a very very special talent. 19 years old.

For the moment pick him left side centre where he's played a lot of his junior level. It's a big call to throw him straight into FB. On the outside of Foran and hopefully wakeham he will beast teams.
My personal opinion is he should be in the halves with Foran. I persnonaaly think he is a better half than wakeham and is much quicker and a better kicker in general play and goal kicker. Wakeham is better defensively. I wouldn’t use jake as the 2 man in defence, isolated too much and will miss too many one on ones. And will end denting his confidence in attack. But I do agree with diddly we are very plain as a football team atm. Who have we got to come into the forwards, Ogden, doorey , Romano’s, kalache, I mean it’s hardly an assortment of riches. Anyway it’s on again next week.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Averillo did play fullback during one of our trials so surely means he has at least done some work their over the offseason and the club somewhat views that as a potential option? It does feel like the best position to blood him in as long as he isn't shit scared of taking a bomb and has a reasonable understanding of a lot of the off the ball work in defence.
I would prefer the halves but happy to play wakeham n foran there - if he gets named as fb the role can be shared between he n dwz n hopoate. The backline that played last night is not going to win games - may as well let the potential develop in game conditions - he wont develop intoa firt grader from the stands - without nsw cup games its a big ask but theres no real alternative re development.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ability wise very good, but as a bench player atm in first grade. Needs time although would offer more in attack than current halves. Defensively will struggle in firrst grade for awhile. If he was in a stronger team I'd play him.
100% ,playing in this current system & structure will hamper & not enhance his career.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only thing that scares me with playing Averillo and Wakeham in our current team is that the losing mentality/culture we currently have and the chopping and changing positions and team selections could absolutely kill their confidence.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only thing that scares me with playing Averillo and Wakeham in our current team is that the losing mentality/culture we currently have and the chopping and changing positions and team selections could absolutely kill their confidence.
True but those boys are juniors, with local family supporters and can see the part they can play in getting success and respect back into the team. That might be enough to carry them through the baptism of fire.

As far as the team as a whole goes....we have no other choice but to play them.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No sure what happened to reimis. But he isn’t a centre regardless. I have never been impressed with Harpers defence or concentration.

for mine averilo should fill a centre spot. Wakeman should maybe start until Foran is back then maybe play him on the bench. And cogger at 7 for at least a few weeks.

After the game yesterday I’m sure Lewis plays hero ball for himself more then anything. Never seen someone grubber for himself more in my life. He can’t read any attack. He can’t set up the attack. And he can’t read defence. One on one defender fair enough he can chop down props. But in the line he has made questionable decisions and been found out.

in summation averillo deserves to be found a spot. Wakeman is no worse then what’s in front of him (some would even say he is miles ahead of the current lot). Cogger should feel hard done by. Kid has some talent. Not a world beater. But plays 3rd fiddle to Lewis and tolman our go to attacking weapons. Foran walks back in when ever he wants.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I would prefer the halves but happy to play wakeham n foran there - if he gets named as fb the role can be shared between he n dwz n hopoate. The backline that played last night is not going to win games - may as well let the potential develop in game conditions - he wont develop intoa firt grader from the stands - without nsw cup games its a big ask but theres no real alternative re development.
I agree with you, halves looks to be his best spot and even more so now with the change of pace in the game. The thing that I have come to realise with him is that his situational awareness (I think that's the right term?) Is absolutely ridiculous and to be at that level at this age is what truly makes him such an exciting prospect.

I'm still banking on him and Wakeham as our halves moving forward and with the limited time they have been on the field together they looked to be fairly comfortable with each other and potentially can combine extremely well. For the time being it think it's a priority to just get Averillo, Wakeham and Foz on the field together and slot the three of them in wherever works best, as you said they won't develop much sitting in the grandstand.

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree with you, halves looks to be his best spot and even more so now with the change of pace in the game. The thing that I have come to realise with him is that his situational awareness (I think that's the right term?) Is absolutely ridiculous and to be at that level at this age is what truly makes him such an exciting prospect.

I'm still banking on him and Wakeham as our halves moving forward and with the limited time they have been on the field together they looked to be fairly comfortable with each other and potentially can combine extremely well. For the time being it think it's a priority to just get Averillo, Wakeham and Foz on the field together and slot the three of them in wherever works best, as you said they won't develop much sitting in the grandstand.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that our starting team are pretty average, so we need as many different players put into it as possible. Averilo, wakeham, foran, To'omaga and RFM all need to be in the starting side next week.
1. Averilo
2. Meaney
3. Hoppa
4. DWZ
5. Reimis
6. Foran
7. Wakeham
8. To'omaga
9. Katoa
10. Napa (only if he tries though)
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Elliot
14 topine
15 pitovao

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Guys heard this kids got raps on him first Time I seen him play last night he scored a try but then he let one in hopefully he gets more game time next week

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guys heard this kids got raps on him first Time I seen him play last night he scored a try but then he let one in hopefully he gets more game time next week
That try wasn't Averillo's fault all 3 players went to the left.
Averillo was helping Meaney down the short side.
Lewis should of stayed right and To'oamoga was a little slow coming across.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
14 topine
15 pitovao
Pitovao is year's away from all reports. Massive potential, but no chance this year or next. Topine is in our top squad, so he could come into the picture this year.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Averillos family cook great lasagna.. Playing good at fullback is a bonus..

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely averillo and wakeham our the halves future

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah it was
yeah it was watch it misses the tackle on Suli then runs to the gap on the try line then he shifts to the wing for some reason and the gap opens up again