News Thompson's mongrel pedigree breeds confidence at Bulldogs

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
English import Luke Thompson wants to taste premiership success at the Bulldogs and his fiery debut against the Broncos suggests he will fit right in with the "Dogs of War" traditions at the proud club.

The 25-year-old Test forward took on Tevita Pangai jnr in an old-fashioned nose-to-nose confrontation in Canterbury’s 26-8 loss at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.
The duel started when the visiting lock ran straight over Pangai early and escalated when he was put on report for a shoulder charge on the Tongan international but was subsequently cleared by the match review committee.

A war of words erupted between the duo as half-time approached.

"I have watched him before. He is a good player and that is the way he likes to play the game,” Thompson said.

"He likes to get under your skin and carry on. He wound me up so I gave him a little clip but there was nothing in it. I like them battles in the middle."

Thompson won two Super League titles in 2014 and 2019 with St Helens and had a win rate of 70% in his 158 games for the Saints
Thompson on report for shoulder charge

While Thompson wants to emulate English forwards who have been a success in the NRL such as Adrian Morley and Sam Burgess, he also wants to be part of a Bulldogs team that wins titles like great forwards of the past such as Peter Kelly, Sonny Bill Williams and coach Dean Pay himself.

"I heard a lot about the history at the club and how they had a lot of success in the past," he said.

"They are a real big club in Sydney and a club that demands success. I want to be part of that.
"To be honest, I always followed the Bulldogs as a kid.

"When I spoke to people at the club like [chairwoman] Lynne Anderson and [CEO] Andrew Hill I liked what they were saying about having a young squad and building.

"I felt like I wanted to be a part of that. I got a good feeling from everyone at the club. Since I have been here I can’t thank everyone enough."
Following in the footsteps of countrymen who have blazed the trail is high on Thompson's agenda.

"I am really proud of where I come from," he said.

"Morley and Burgess, I have been massive fans of them and always followed those sort of guys.

"They have made a real impact over here and done really well. If I can be anywhere near as good as they were then I won’t be too far off."

Thompson made 86 metres from nine tough carries and 36 tackles in his 60-minute stint in his Telstra Premiership debut
"It was a real honour to be out there and put the Bulldog shirt on … but to dish up what we dished up was really disappointing," Thompson said.

"I felt better than what I thought I would. I thought I’d be sucking in the big 'uns. I still was, but I felt alright engine wise."

Pay said Thompson's debut was the highlight of an otherwise poor night.

"You can see what sort of player he is going to be once he gets a few games under his belt. He bounced into it with not a lot of training but I thought he was a real shining light," Pay said.

"He is a real tenacious, hard-working, tough kid.

"British forwards do really well over here. They are really tough and take everyone on. I can’t see him being anything different.
Thompson, who clearly has a wry sense of humour, has had an eventful time since arriving from the United Kingdom in Australia.

He spent a fortnight in quarantine in Melbourne before driving up to Sydney via Goulburn where he was encouraged to stop off at The Big Sheep.

"The sentiment on the way up was that there was a sheep that’s got balls as big as yours so you’ve got to see it,” he grinned.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, on a shitty night he shone. Hope we can get some hardheads to help him out.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well he’s definitely breed confidence in myself and the supporters here, he is the first positive and sight of changes to come, with a good spine around him, a full clean out from head to toe he will be a Massive inspiration to the club..!!!

Ambrose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He really is the only thing to be excited about right now. I hope he gets some good players around him.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tough kid?
Isnt he 24 or something?
What do they do at training, play with Lego.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hope he’s got some mates back in the old dart that want to play in the nrl with him. More blokes with his attitude Wil go a long way to turning us around

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
All he’s going to taste is jack shit, fed with a wooden spoon

Thelaw

Waterboy
Reaction score
About fucked time we have someone with balls to man up in the middle.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope he’s got some mates back in the old dart that want to play in the nrl with him. More blokes with his attitude Wil go a long way to turning us around
I just hope we don't use him up like we did Jackson a few years ago. His best footy is running good lines on the edges and support play. I want him playing that style for us.

We need an enforcer.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It was refreshing seeing a hard nosed forward donning our colours unlike the marshmellows we have had for the past several seasons.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like hes settling in well. Take him to awafy and he'll be ours for life

Easily our best forward last night

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
make him captain /coach !!..Love his attitude

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just hope we don't use him up like we did Jackson a few years ago. His best footy is running good lines on the edges and support play. I want him playing that style for us.

We need an enforcer.
Yeah it worries me a bit that he is a one man show in our forward pack he will be targeted heavily by every team we play the sooner we can move tolman Napa and dare I say it jacko on the better

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it worries me a bit that he is a one man show in our forward pack he will be targeted heavily by every team we play the sooner we can move tolman Napa and dare I say it jacko on the better
Napa for sure, Tols I think this should be his last year unless cheap and off the bench and Jacko needs to give up the captaincy and play in the middle.