Status
Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Thompson no longer a Dragon
By Andrew Webster
November 16, 2005

Lance Thompson is on the hunt for a new NRL club after he and St George Illawarra agreed to terminated his contract last night.

The saga over his future at the club, where he has played for the past 11 seasons, came to an end - for now - after a marathon 2½-hour board meeting at St George Leagues Club.

An ashen-faced Thompson, alongside his legal representative Chris Murphy, emerged to say: "I'm happy it's all over and done with. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Obviously I can now look to brighter pastures."

Despite his comments, however, it is understood that the long-serving second-rower had entered last night's meeting with the hope of staying at the Dragons next season.

Thompson was fronting the board to show cause why he should not be sacked for allegedly sending abusive text messages to teammate Justin Poore and for criticising the club publicly over its attempt to squeeze him out because of salary cap problems.

No Dragons official would comment on Thompson's departure but a brief statement from the club said both parties had agreed to keep the terms of the settlement confidential.

It is uncertain if Thompson's contract was paid out.

While the 27-year-old is a free agent, it is believed he will look to stay in the NRL. He has a four-year-old daughter and playing overseas is not considered an option. Cronulla have already shown some interest.

Earlier, Murphy successfully had Dragons chief executive Peter Doust stood down from presiding over the hearing as he believed Doust might prejudice proceedings because of public comments he made last month.

Murphy said after the meeting: "Lance Thompson will now be leaving St George Illawarra and we've agreed on terms. His playing contract has now been terminated by mutual agreement.

"The matter has been resolved and settled and Lance is available for a new club next year, and I hope he plays as well as he did this year."

Last night brought a sad end to the stalwart Dragon's career, which started in 1995 with the club.

This season he reached the 200-game mark and he is considered one of the club's proudest players. His termination is bound to upset many St George Illawarra fans, some of whom gathered at the leagues club to offer their support.

"It's a pity to see him leave like this," Dragons great Graeme Langlands said. "I thought he had his best season this year and it's a real shame for him to leave like this."

Thompson's departure is sure to give the Dragons what they desperately needed - relief in their salary cap for the 2006 season.

Thompson first learned the club was moving to get rid of him at its annual presentation night at Sydney Town Hall last month when Dragons official Bruce Spaul told him he had played his last game.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
Summary - Thompson is looking for a new club.

If he got paid out by the Saints, then he would probably be happy to play for match payments somewhere.

M

MrCharisma

Lance Thompson Media File:
Born: 16 Feb 1978, Sydney.

Junior club: Hurstville United.

Dragons First Grade: 1995-2005, 201 appearances.
24 tries, 17 goals (130 points).

First Grade debut: Saints v Cronulla at Caltex Field, June 24, 1995. Thompson aged 17-years-old.
Early in his career, Thompson declared his passion as a true clubman when he once exclaimed, "I would die for St George."

Thompson played in 1996 and 1999 grand finals.

In 2000, Thompson was involved in a fight with fellow forward Andrew Hart at St George Leagues Club. Thompson (fined $15,000 by the club) later apologised to Hart, the club, his family and the fans. Hart (fined $5000) was reported to be just as keen to put the incident behind him.

In 2001, Thompson represented City Firsts as captain. Thompson also played for City Origin in 2003 and 2004.

Thompson took a pay cut in 2003 so the club could re-sign other star players under the salary cap. Also in 2003, Thompson donated $10,000 to the St George Junior League. In November of the same year, Thompson entered the boxing ring in a charity bout to raise funds for the St George Foundation and the Children’s Hospital at Randwick.

In 2004, Thompson was dropped to the Premier League after showing up to training under the influence of alcohol. Personal matters aside, Thompson was again facing disciplinary action from the club. He bounced back however, and following a series of stand-out performances, the star forward was named in NSW's 30-man State of Origin train-on squad.

In 2005, Thompson was in top form, scoring seven tries and playing in every game for the Dragons.

Spiros Yeeros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have heard that a third party will pay out his contract. If Saints paid it then it would still come out of their cap.

28 years old next year. In his prime. Hope he does not go to the Sharks. I'd love to see him with us or with the Bunnies.

M

MrCharisma

I want to see him go over to England and play for Castleford

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
i hope he comes to the dogs....although i dont really see it happening i dont think we could afford him....but it also depends because if he is desperate to play football he wont ask for a big offer...

bdogfan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
he has already said what a good set up this club has
But we already have so many backrowers
He should go to Souths just to upset the Dragons

A

atomic_crimson

dragons are pathetic! this is how they treat a guy who would bend over backwards to help them keep the younger guys.... and as if it was a mutual agreement... im sure lance got alot of out it for calling the bull**** bluff regarding poore

Nate

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a way to treat one of your most loyal players!!

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Dragon 4 life was meant to be but did not happen.

Those sick dirty dragons are nuthin but terrible and dirty dirty people.

TBT

The Bitter Truth
Reaction score
He'll be a good pickup for any club.... I wish him all the best....

D

Danish

Spiros Yeeros said:
I have heard that a third party will pay out his contract. If Saints paid it then it would still come out of their cap.

28 years old next year. In his prime. Hope he does not go to the Sharks. I'd love to see him with us or with the Bunnies.

Surely no matter who pays it out it should still come under the cap??

Afterall, the Oasis scam, that was a 3rd party. City Ford giving Morley a car, they are a 3rd party. 3rd party or not saints cant weasel their way out of his payout coming under the cap

A

atomic_crimson

his payout should come under the cap much like firmans from the roosters did didnt it?

D

Danish

Yes.

Although i believe the cowboys have now taken up that slack for 2006. But certainly 2005 the roosters were PAYING HIM to play for the cowboys (smart move that one)

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Danish said:
Surely no matter who pays it out it should still come under the cap??

Afterall, the Oasis scam, that was a 3rd party. City Ford giving Morley a car, they are a 3rd party. 3rd party or not saints cant weasel their way out of his payout coming under the cap
city forward was one of ur sponsors though weren't they?

D

Danish

New Edition said:
city forward was one of ur sponsors though weren't they?

Yeah you're right there. But still, i would think that any company agreeing to pay out a players contract would be considered to be sponsoring the club. Hell they would more than likely have to be an existing sponsor.......... who else would agree to do that??

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah i'd agree anyone paying out a contract for a player must have some interest/stakelhold in the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.