No Source Thompson and Cotric to Potentially to Tigers

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy just posted a UPDATE ON COTRIC AND THOMPSON!

I’ve been told Nick Cotric is as good as a done deal to the Wests Tigers, as the Roosters have ended discussions with him.

However, there may be a speed bump in the Luke Thompson pursuit.

The club started discussions with both Bulldogs and Thompson a couple of months ago, which was denied due to financial purposes.

Due to the Bulldogs latest signings, the Wests Tigers led by Tim Sheens (very big admirer of Thompson in his ESL days) re-entered discussions thinking the bulldogs would budge on there original offer however the club remains to sit strong on there original offer of only paying around 100k of his 800k salary - which has scared off a few clubs

The Wests Tigers are trying to catch there bluff as they know the Bullsogs are undergoing salary cap pressure as it’s reported they have 7 spots with 500k to spend in season 2023, but it’s all dependent on if either party budges on whether a deal gets done or not - unsure at this stage still pretty 50/50

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The guy just posted a UPDATE ON COTRIC AND THOMPSON!

I’ve been told Nick Cotric is as good as a done deal to the Wests Tigers, as the Roosters have ended discussions with him.

However, there may be a speed bump in the Luke Thompson pursuit.

The club started discussions with both Bulldogs and Thompson a couple of months ago, which was denied due to financial purposes.

Due to the Bulldogs latest signings, the Wests Tigers led by Tim Sheens (very big admirer of Thompson in his ESL days) re-entered discussions thinking the bulldogs would budge on there original offer however the club remains to sit strong on there original offer of only paying around 100k of his 800k salary - which has scared off a few clubs

The Wests Tigers are trying to catch there bluff as they know the Bullsogs are undergoing salary cap pressure as it’s reported they have 7 spots with 500k to spend in season 2023, but it’s all dependent on if either party budges on whether a deal gets done or not - unsure at this stage still pretty 50/50
There are currently 9 players off contract in 2023, if everyone of them is on next year’s NRL minimum of $130k that’s $1.2m. So I’m having trouble understanding how 7 fits into $500k. Of course it’s actually more difficult than that to comprehend since more than half of the 9 are on substantially more than the minimum. We can debate how much more forever and a day, but the fact is the premise of us being under Cap pressure is bullshit.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
There are currently 9 players off contract in 2023, if everyone of them is on next year’s NRL minimum of $130k that’s $1.2m. So I’m having trouble understanding how 7 fits into $500k. Of course it’s actually more difficult than that to comprehend since more than half of the 9 are on substantially more than the minimum. We can debate how much more forever and a day, but the fact is the premise of us being under Cap pressure is bullshit.

Always a Bulldog
The part I find funny is they waffle on about cap pressure. The recruits we made for 2022 are done locked in early. Mostly from parting with massively overpaid guys like hoppa Napa lewis etc etc.

Yet we then sack Elliott. We didn’t sign a single recruit for 22 after then except Asiata who has also been terminated due to his vaccine stance. We freed up half a mil on elliott and haven’t spent that!

Now I have no doubt part of this cap comment is us forward planning an upgrade for burton (who is no doubt on 400-500k and has yet to play a game) though Gus being smart and making sure it’s all love for a long successful career here no doubt. Also if dufty or Vaughan need some more or extension.

Though kikau and Mahoney are for 23.

We have rfm who would without doubt be between 400-500k minimum. Along with several other guys on overs like Stimson that we clearly won’t retain.

I would dare say rfm and Stimson would cover kikau without even saying kikau would no doubt have third party in his deal while the other 2 wouldn’t really considering we couldn’t get any sponsors before!

Guys like hetho have a mutual option. Throw in Jackson could easily hang it up by 23/24.

Throw in Thompson could head home any year ffs.

Then we could possibly lose others if we have to like I said Vaughan etc. though I think we hope to keep him if he produces.

I have no doubt Allen will be at dolphins in 23 just makes sense with his current status and him being a qld lad with Wayne after Broncs, bunnies etc. Though really with 24 basically Flanagan waddle etc will be the last of any bad contracts and only a few like tpj Jac (appears kikau and mahoney) contracted beyond.

This is why I hope cotric stays for 22. If we got kkkau or Mahoney early I get it. Though again we have sacked Elliott and literally not recruited to replace or added. We have clearly had the ability. Chose not to. That’s a lot of $ to play with doing nothing.

Media doesn’t say that though.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally disagree, winning footy starts and ends with a dominant pack. Always has and always will.
Can't underestimate what a dominant pack does. Look how many Origin series NSW could have/should have won against Qld despite having average spines with sh!t halves, up against a practically immortal spine of Slater, Thurston, Cronk and Smith with Inglis also lurking in the centres.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't underestimate what a dominant pack does. Look how many Origin series NSW could have/should have won against Qld despite having average spines with sh!t halves, up against a practically immortal spine of Slater, Thurston, Cronk and Smith with Inglis also lurking in the centres.
A great spine still needs momentum and space to operate.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The part I find funny is they waffle on about cap pressure. The recruits we made for 2022 are done locked in early. Mostly from parting with massively overpaid guys like hoppa Napa lewis etc etc.

Yet we then sack Elliott. We didn’t sign a single recruit for 22 after then except Asiata who has also been terminated due to his vaccine stance. We freed up half a mil on elliott and haven’t spent that!

Now I have no doubt part of this cap comment is us forward planning an upgrade for burton (who is no doubt on 400-500k and has yet to play a game) though Gus being smart and making sure it’s all love for a long successful career here no doubt. Also if dufty or Vaughan need some more or extension.

Though kikau and Mahoney are for 23.

We have rfm who would without doubt be between 400-500k minimum. Along with several other guys on overs like Stimson that we clearly won’t retain.

I would dare say rfm and Stimson would cover kikau without even saying kikau would no doubt have third party in his deal while the other 2 wouldn’t really considering we couldn’t get any sponsors before!

Guys like hetho have a mutual option. Throw in Jackson could easily hang it up by 23/24.

Throw in Thompson could head home any year ffs.

Then we could possibly lose others if we have to like I said Vaughan etc. though I think we hope to keep him if he produces.

I have no doubt Allen will be at dolphins in 23 just makes sense with his current status and him being a qld lad with Wayne after Broncs, bunnies etc. Though really with 24 basically Flanagan waddle etc will be the last of any bad contracts and only a few like tpj Jac (appears kikau and mahoney) contracted beyond.

This is why I hope cotric stays for 22. If we got kkkau or Mahoney early I get it. Though again we have sacked Elliott and literally not recruited to replace or added. We have clearly had the ability. Chose not to. That’s a lot of $ to play with doing nothing.

Media doesn’t say that though.
We signed Braidon Burns - I would imagine he would be on around ~200k.

Other than that - the salary cap being under the spotlight and the media frezy surrounding it really does not seem right.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We signed Braidon Burns - I would imagine he would be on around ~200k.

Other than that - the salary cap being under the spotlight and the media frezy surrounding it really does not seem right.
That’s right we did. Though essentially even if he took his spot in the 30 that’s leaving 300k+ untouched

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With Bailey Simonsson joining the the Eels in 2022, effective immediately, it opens the door for Cotric to return the the Raiders.

It will be interesting to see if the Tigers up their offer, either way we may have seen the last of Cotric.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Bailey Simonsson joining the the Eels in 2022, effective immediately, it opens the door for Cotric to return the the Raiders.

It will be interesting to see if the Tigers up their offer, either way we may have seen the last of Cotric.
i reckon for all money he's gone. just where he ends up now, which team want him the most. i hope he goes to canberra and might begin a domino effect of early releases meaning we may get reed for 2022. i also dont want the tigers to 'pull off another signing coup' as the media will put it and throw tim sheens on a pedestal for taking a player who we are actively getting rid of

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i reckon for all money he's gone. just where he ends up now, which team want him the most. i hope he goes to canberra and might begin a domino effect of early releases meaning we may get reed for 2022. i also dont want the tigers to 'pull off another signing coup' as the media will put it and throw tim sheens on a pedestal for taking a player who we are actively getting rid of
Mate did you listen to the last episode of the Bloke In A Bar podcast? FMD Finchy and Kemp kept banging on about how great the Tigers recruitment was and that Sheensy is a god. Last month they were a basket case but now they're suddenly the new Roosters. I didn't know whether to laugh or vomit

I wonder if Tigers fans actually believe that dribble. We all know where they'll finish again next year...poor bastards

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mate did you listen to the last episode of the Bloke In A Bar podcast? FMD Finchy and Kemp kept banging on about how great the Tigers recruitment was and that Sheensy is a god. Last month they were a basket case but now they're suddenly the new Roosters. I didn't know whether to laugh or vomit

I wonder if Tigers fans actually believe that dribble. We all know where they'll finish again next year...poor bastards
Seriously how the fuck do you support a club who hasn’t made finals for 11 years. Im quitting on them in the 7th year lol.