No Source Thompson and Cotric to Potentially to Tigers

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is a rumour that the tigers are in talks with Cotric and Thompson and if this package deal occurs we will sign Junior Paulo

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thompson's a quality prop with potential to be an elite prop. Paulo's an elite prop already and probably in the top 3 props in the NRL. If it was one or the other you'd choose Paulo but since Thompson's already here and one of our best players already I think it's pretty sideways.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this rumour has any legs it is apparent that Gus is prioritising a BIG TOUGH pack.

I for one am delighted at this, as the hardest thing for me watching the past few seasons has been us getting manhandled, week after week.

As a long time fan i have seen us out skilled on many occasions, but rarely outmuscled.

We have always had a tough forward pack.

I believe it is in our DNA.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If this rumour has any legs it is apparent that Gus is prioritising a BIG TOUGH pack.

I for one am delighted at this, as the hardest thing for me watching the past few seasons has been us getting manhandled, week after week.

As a long time fan i have seen us out skilled on many occasions, but rarely outmuscled.

We have always had a tough forward pack.

I believe it is in our DNA.
Completely agree. So many fucking moving parts to make this happen though, but I wouldn't be against Thommo leaving if it meant Paulo coming in. The only problem I see is that there's no way Parra will let Paulo leave in '22 but we're talking about Thommo going then ...

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely agree. So many fucking moving parts to make this happen though, but I wouldn't be against Thommo leaving if it meant Paulo coming in. The only problem I see is that there's no way Parra will let Paulo leave in '22 but we're talking about Thommo going then ...
100% Was just thinking the same thing.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be surprised. Eels are that stupid they could easily f..k up Paulo or he would have re-signed already. They have a policy of not paying more than a certain amount for ANY player. We could probably get Paulo cheaper than the Dolphins and Paulo would know there's a much greater chance of winning a comp and continuing to play rep footy (bonuses) with us.

If we do this deal I think it's really important we hang onto Cotric and Thompson for 2022 though then in 23 they're free to leave if we're getting Mahoney, Kikau and Paulo. Would be even better if we could talk the Tigers into taking Allan and Flanagan as a back up half instead of Cotric

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paulo can ball play, has an offload, is more effective at getting over the line (largely because of his size) and he hits much harder in defence. Thompson (whose lighter and shorter than Adam Elliott) gives up a massive 20kgs and about 2 inches in height to Paulo. Thompson is a decent forward yes but not in the same class as Paulo and we all know his judiciary carry over risk

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like a fanciful notion, Actros his mate has said he is NOT going to the Tiges so this is probably just more spin.
Idgaf about Paulo really Thommo should dig in fuck 'em.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paulo can ball play, has an offload, is more effective at getting over the line (largely because of his size) and he hits much harder in defence. Thompson (whose lighter and shorter than Adam Elliott) gives up a massive 20kgs and about 2 inches in height to Paulo. Thompson is a decent forward yes but not in the same class as Paulo and we all know his judiciary carry over risk
Thommo is willing and at times his pace will carve teams up but as you say undersized. I have worried since day one about his size. Having a huge chest and shoulders is no advantage when your waist is the size of an olympic swimmer. Paulo is the complete opposite. I know which one i would rather tackle head on.

Regarding the rumour it only makes sense if it is Cotric and Thommo to Parra and Paulo to us next season.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Hasn't Paulo been offered something like 850k from the Dolphins? People complain about how much Thommos on, yet Paulo will probably cost us more.
Doesn't make sense to me.
Just like elite players go to the Roosters for lobster and cavier, the boss players will come to us for mongolian lamb and kibbeh

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thomson is a bit of a "grabber" in defense, rarely have i seen him drive with his shoulders putting a big hit on.

Very small around the hips, he needs a bit of space to be effective with his speed and agility.

I would take Paulo if given a choice.
You are spot on re his grabbing in defence and lack of shoulder - im not sure if it is technique or fatigue (playing longer minutes than should) but he often gets caught just grabbing at players. He has a lot of attackng ability but his issues in defence and judiciary record (not saying the judiciary record is entirely his fault) result in him not being worth 700k. Same as cotric's possible move - depends on who the club can get that will make the team stronger next year. Cant see the point of weakening 2022 to help in 2023 unless over the cap.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We desperately need a big front rower. We only really have one and that is Vaughn.
But these big front rowers need other running players to compete at 100%.
The best running player we have is Thompson.
If we dont get Paulo, then TPJ will have to be a prop. But he is better suited to a back row position
with his offloads and speed.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We desperately need a big front rower. We only really have one and that is Vaughn.
But these big front rowers need other running players to compete at 100%.
The best running player we have is Thompson.
If we dont get Paulo, then TPJ will have to be a prop. But he is better suited to a back row position
with his offloads and speed.
I don’t think size is an issue with us having hetho and tpj. Plus rfm Back on field this season with Thompson and Vaughan.

Throw in someone like kikau for 23 with hopefully guys like patolo kicking on. Will be ok for size I think. I struggle
To think of a pack with two guys like kikau and tpj…

Thompson’s unfairly judged based on a pack this year where hetho was his only sizeable help.

Patolo had handful.

Atoni Didn’t use his size and looked meh. Petty $ at chooks now.

Ogden gets a train and trial deal. Enough said.

Elliott, smith etc are all small blokes compared to tpj and kikau and Vaughan. Then rfm is back who’s not a minor bloke and runs hard.