They were not Star players, but enjoyed watching them.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Geoff Robinson of course
Loved Robbo . Remember the day when Jack Gibson develop the wall where all the players huddled together hiding the player with the ball. Robbo ran full pelt directly Sterlo knocking him ass over tit, losing the ball in the process. Dogs won the scrum & parra dropped their " the wall".

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he never worked out and did not even play FG for us but I enjoyed watching Patrick Templeman in the juniors

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember a game against Newton when Steve Hage need Paul Hayward in the nuts. Paul who was a tough nuggety type 5/8 went berserk. Chase Steve off & on ball for the next 20 minutes before being sent off. Hayward was later arrested in Thailand for trafficking heroin.
Agree with Alan Geelong, sensational as a youngster & thought he would develop into a real gun player
Ha Steve Hage he was probably on Neddy’s hit list after that...poor old Hayward end up getting 30 years in Thai prison

Last edited:

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is it too early to nominate Lewis :blush:

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Chris Mortimer was one of my favourite players growing up. Tough and a great defender. Bit underrated as he was surrounded by a lot of great players in the 80's

Greg Brentnall and John Coventy were two others
Chris Mortimer....what a tough defender. I loved him and he had a great record during his state of origin stint.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about some of the bulldogs players that I enjoyed watching play. They were not star players & at times struggled to hold their place in first grade.
PHIL CHARLETON. Not the most mobile forward but skilful & a deadly defender. The original exponent of the shoulder charge. ( I believe the best also.) Caused damage when tackling.
STAN CUTLER. Played in various backline positions, but fullback was his best. Fast, great defender & with good attacking skills. Bleed blue & white.
STEVE HAGE. Tough, aggressive skilful forward. Something happen when Steve was around. ( not always legal) had only a year, amazed he did not develop into great player.
Steve Reardon. Tough defender, powerful runner, an 80 minutes forward with a big motor. Never let the dogs down. Great team player.
I am sure there are many others I have left out.
Loved Cutler, also Andrew Farrah & Jeff Robbo!!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SH was great to watch, and his Mum running onto the field at Belmore when he stayed down (this happened at least twice as I recall) was fantastic. Doesn't seem like all that long ago but how things have changed since the good old suburban ground days. Imagine if someones mum tried to run on the field these days at Suncorp or ANZ, she'd get crash tackled by security
LOL. I could kind of understand why he pissed off after seeing that big Footy Show reveal with his UK girlfriend (Gabrielle Richens). She looked like sex on a stick back then but ended up being a bit average soon after. He went okay at boxing but I think he had more talent at league actually.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. I could kind of understand why he pissed off after seeing that big Footy Show reveal with his UK girlfriend (Gabrielle Richens). She looked like sex on a stick back then but ended up being a bit average soon after. He went okay at boxing but I think he had more talent at league actually.
the Gabrielle Richens love affair was a set up to get out of his contract with the 'Dogs and sign with the Dragons

she was f+*#ing hot though

Reaction score
Loved Robbo . Remember the day when Jack Gibson develop the wall where all the players huddled together hiding the player with the ball. Robbo ran full pelt directly Sterlo knocking him ass over tit, losing the ball in the process. Dogs won the scrum & parra dropped their " the wall".

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Robbo was a superstar he and Turvey were the heart and sole of Canterbury, my favourites !!!
Sitting at the top of the stand I would scream out Robboooooooooooooooooo
My voice echoed sending the poor bloke crazy :tearsofjoy:

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
SIMON GILLIES !!!!

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about some of the bulldogs players that I enjoyed watching play. They were not star players & at times struggled to hold their place in first grade.
PHIL CHARLETON. Not the most mobile forward but skilful & a deadly defender. The original exponent of the shoulder charge. ( I believe the best also.) Caused damage when tackling.
STAN CUTLER. Played in various backline positions, but fullback was his best. Fast, great defender & with good attacking skills. Bleed blue & white.
STEVE HAGE. Tough, aggressive skilful forward. Something happen when Steve was around. ( not always legal) had only a year, amazed he did not develop into great player.
Steve Reardon. Tough defender, powerful runner, an 80 minutes forward with a big motor. Never let the dogs down. Great team player.
I am sure there are many others I have left out.
Peter Cassilis, Darren Smith, Greg Brettnal, George Pepponis, The Hughs brothers, Steve Gearin, Craig Pollamounter ,