News The Zoom call that put Barrett in the box seat for Bulldogs job

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your knowledge is great. A lot of defensive issues come from the lack of us scoring points. Scoring points breeds confidence. All we do is sit back and try to defend our way to a win without throwing much at the opposition. Eventually our defence get worn down, hence some our blow out score lines. But as I said your knowledge is great.
Agree. The best defence is to have a constructive attack that puts the opposition under pressure, uncertainty and fatigue. Our current side just puts a single guy hit up for 5 tackles and bomb on the last. Very predictable and we just end up defending all day against a fresh opposition. We have a snowflake's chance in hell of winning a premiership until we fundamentally change our style of play and roster.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
until we fundamentally change our style of play and roster.
Do the first bit and the second bit will follow. To a large degree a teams established play style attracts players, so fix that and we will look attractive. At the moment we are attractive to lazy unmotivated players.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not of much use if we are leaking 20 more points per game.
Your knowledge is great. A lot of defensive issues come from the lack of us scoring points. Scoring points breeds confidence. All we do is sit back and try to defend our way to a win without throwing much at the opposition. Eventually our defence get worn down, hence some our blow out score lines. But as I said your knowledge is great.
Absolutely correct on many occasions, but not all. An example, when Barrett was coaching Manly in 2016, they scored 30 points against Canbra, good attack, except they let in 44 points. In the 2 games against us they let in 48 points, 9 tries, if Mbye had kicked the conversions it would have been 54. They leaked around 24 points average per game for the season. They had some pretty effective attacking players (way more than we do now) in DCE, AFB, Green, Koroisau, Lyon, Matai, Myles, BStewart, Taufua, Taupau and of course J&T Trbojevic. Pretty much every one of those players back then would walk straight into our team at the moment.

Go Dogs

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing Dean Pay with Trent Barrett is like shuffling the chairs on the Titanic. What’s gunna happen is that the Bulldogs will have a much stronger roster in 2021 & a better season. That success will be put down to the new coach which is grossly unfair on Dean Pay.
If Barrett was in charge this year, the Dogs would still get the spoon. For me it’s a sideways swap.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing Dean Pay with Trent Barrett is like shuffling the chairs on the Titanic. What’s gunna happen is that the Bulldogs will have a much stronger roster in 2021 & a better season. That success will be put down to the new coach which is grossly unfair on Dean Pay.
If Barrett was in charge this year, the Dogs would still get the spoon. For me it’s a sideways swap.
Barrett is the best out of a poor list of available NRL coaches. Pay had a poor roster but it was the virtually same as last year when we started winning games at the back end of the season when there was no pressure because no one expected us to win when were at the bottom of the ladder. This year the team went back to the same boring block plays and none of the players improved. None of our halves can even pass properly except Foran when he's on the field. Except for Thompson the new recruits he got this year were all duds so the team has gone backwards.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett is the best out of a poor list of available NRL coaches.
Griffin, Bellamy, Flanagan, Wane are the best options. Barrett’s previous coach stint is more on par with Pay, Brown or Taylor.

Unless Barrett has really learnt after last time I just don’t think Barrett is the right coach to get us results.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett is the best out of a poor list of available NRL coaches. Pay had a poor roster but it was the virtually same as last year when we started winning games at the back end of the season when there was no pressure because no one expected us to win when were at the bottom of the ladder. This year the team went back to the same boring block plays and none of the players improved. None of our halves can even pass properly except Foran when he's on the field. Except for Thompson the new recruits he got this year were all duds so the team has gone backwards.
Paul Kent had a dig at teams that didnt adjust to the new 6 again rule, saying they were stuck running the same block play over and over. Then he goes on to say Deans a good coach and the club shafted him. What a fuckwit, has no idea.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig Fitzgibbon meant to be the next big thing as a head coach coming from a top system for the chooks interesting his name hasn’t even been brought up this whole time

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Craig Fitzgibbon meant to be the next big thing as a head coach coming from a top system for the chooks interesting his name hasn’t even been brought up this whole time
He's out of contract end of 21 and Roosters won't let him leave early, plus he doesn't want to apparently

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one thing I like is that Barrett acknowledges he can’t do it on his own, and has to hire quality assistants and staff, especially a good defensive coach.

That to me is miles ahead of our previous coaches who were surrounded by mediocre at best coaching staff.

I’m warming up to the idea of him coaching. A 3 year deal though might be too long, but as longs as he’s learnt from his previous experience, I think he’ll make a good head coach.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who's the best defensive coach out there? Siebold was the defensive coach under Barrett when at Manly ,that didn't work so let's go get him

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Griffin, Bellamy, Flanagan, Wane are the best options. Barrett’s previous coach stint is more on par with Pay, Brown or Taylor.

Unless Barrett has really learnt after last time I just don’t think Barrett is the right coach to get us results.
Wane is from UK Super League and I was referring to NRL coaches.
Bellamy is not available, contracted until end of 2021
Flanagan is not available, banned from head coach position until 2022
Griffin 7 years experience and no premiership and not even a GF. Griffin would have to break a 16 year trend as all the premiership winning coaches from at least 2004 onwards won their first premiership within their first 7 years of coaching.
Barrett only coached for 3 years and his current form this year is superior to the available NRL coaches. 1 good year and 2 bad years. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he was dealing with the crappy Manly board, Des back ended deals and a big injury toll and judge him on his current form and being smart enough to learn from those harsh lessons. Due diligence from him and our board will ensure he gets the appropriate support staff and I expect him to be far better in recruitment, retention, skills training and fitness for our team compared to our last 6 seasons.

Last edited: