The Video Ref Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Yes, I'm a bitter, annoyed, and upset fan after tonight's loss, as the majority of us are.

HOWEVER...

Why is it almost every semi-questionable try we score gets sent to the video ref, while opposition teams get let off without a second looking? I understand ref's cop a bad rap for continually sending calls to the video ref, but that final try by the Broncos tonight, for example, was a joke.

I'm so sick of ref's being criticised for poor calls against us come Tuesday/Wednesday by Harrigan or some sports writer extraordinare, and us fans being told 'it won't happen again'. That doesn't bring the 2 points back, that doesn't turn the loss into a victory. It screwed us out of the minor prem in 09' and if it keeps going at this rate, who knows what we'll miss out on this year.

The NRL has two options -
1) Every try should be sent to the video ref, or
2) The video ref should be scrapped altogether.

They were put in place to counter the refs inability to make a decision on a try or play, and should either be utilized to their full potential or not at all. When tries like tonight's get let through without a second glance, while Idris' try in 09' gets scrutinized and sub-sequentially disallowed, we should realise we've got a serious problem.

Nadzzz..

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Problem with all try's going to video ref is that video ref's can't rule on forward passes.

But I agree, I was fuming tonight about the inconsistencies this year.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Problem with all try's going to video ref is that video ref's can't rule on forward passes.

But I agree, I was fuming tonight about the inconsistencies this year.
Which again makes no sense. They can rule on a finger-tip knock on or a millimeter grounding, but can't take any action on a 1 metre forward pass.

If you're going to use and utilize these resources, utilize them properly.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
The NRL has two options -
1) Every try should be sent to the video ref, or
2) The video ref should be scrapped altogether
This is a false dilemma

A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, the either-or fallacy, fallacy of false choice, black and white thinkingor the fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses) is a type of logical fallacy that involves a situation in which only two alternatives are considered, when in fact there are additional options

In this case the additional option would be

3) The NRL can just continue to do what they are doing and you can continue to be pissed off

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
This is a false dilemma

A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, the either-or fallacy, fallacy of false choice, black and white thinkingor the fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses) is a type of logical fallacy that involves a situation in which only two alternatives are considered, when in fact there are additional options

3) The NRL can just continue to do what they are doing and you can continue to be pissed off
Sadly, I have a feeling that this is the option they will be taking...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why can't we scrap the onfield refs and only use them to relay rulings from video refs watching the game.

Better than anyone they can see offside and other infringements.

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was @ western weekender stadium today to watch the juniors play & Badger just happenend to be there.(His wife refs in the junior games)I asked him why they didnt pull up the knock on that led to the Beale try & he said "looking back @ it they(he & Devcich)made a few mistakes last night & in hindsight Devcich should of gone up to the video ref".Wot a nob!
PS I know this isnt the only reason we lost but geez..if we have the technology why isnt it being used.Im not sayin it should be used in general play but definately on try's that look dubious.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
4 official, 4 sets of eyes and they didn't spot it. They shouldn't even have to go to the video ref in the first place for last nights try, it was so obvious. And then after it was awarded and the replay was shown Gus says "yep, that's alright" or something along those lines. WTF?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Three strikes and your out.

Each incorrect call an official warning. 3 of them and you're sacked.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Three strikes and your out.

Each incorrect call an official warning. 3 of them and you're sacked.
then we can have a video referee of the video referee

the video referees decision is sent to another video review panel and they decide if it was a wrong call or not

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The try mattered and was a ****e decision.

People who are busy wanting Moore sacked and b1tching how crap we are......

Fact is the no try going to video ref would be 6 points off Brisbane. 1 less brain explosion from Lett and another try comes off brisbane. We win 12-8. It was that close to being a whole new story, and then the coach would be God and the players legends. Some people are too easily swayed. Fairweather fans begone.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

Fact is the no try going to video ref would be 6 points off Brisbane. 1 less brain explosion from Lett and another try comes off brisbane. We win 12-8. It was that close to being a whole new story, and then the coach would be God and the players legends. Some people are too easily swayed. Fairweather fans begone.
this is highly speculation

you have no idea how the rest of game would pan out if brisbane were playing from behind

they would take risks etc

the game changes yes but to say we would win is crazy talk

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the video ref robbed the seaeagles tonight.. oldfield try should have got a green light and possible 8point try for knee to hopoate head while scoring

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
this might be the bourbon talking but what about a captains call on video ref like in cricket, 1 referral a game, if your wrong you lose it, if your right you have another referral for the game? only problem would be using it to slow the game

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score

You are right but if you think we were ripped off, last night Manly lost 22-20 to the Cowgirls and had what would have been the winning try disallowed because of a Jamie Lyon "knock on" in the leadup.

Lyon knocked the ball way backwards near one of the marker lines (his own 40?). Simple, the ball went backwards from his hands. It hit the ground one side of the line and travelled backwards towards his own goal line. Video ref ruling - knock on, no try.

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel sorry for Manly but Harrigan or whoever will come out during the week and say "yes, we got it wrong" There are never any real consequences for the officials who blunder - the ref in question may get dropped for a week. For the team that gets ripped off it may mean missing out on a place in the finals or may mean the loss of the minor premiership and $100,000 (as happened to us in 2009).

Frankly this current standard of refereeing and video ref decisions is unacceptable.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Agree, they stuffed it again last night in the Manly game. It is just not acceptable, we are all watching the same replay. I dont understand how they can get it wrong???

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
bill harrigan was touted as the solution to the refereeing blunders, so finch was punted. here it is 24 hours after a blunder in the dogs game, the refs have got it wrong again. the video ref should make it his decision to alert the on field ref straight away not to award a try, ot have the ref blow time off to check a play. the video ref has the benifit of watching it on the tv same as we do, surely harrigan would have instructed the refs to be extra cautious after fridays stuff up.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
This is a false dilemma

response of the decade lol

Status
Not open for further replies.