The Utai slam

A

Alexander the Great

And for me and the boys known for being at sexton playhouse till 4am the night before a game. He had a shock that Friday night. Dropped balls and was all over the shop.

Fucking good bloke though. He didn't mind a laugh and a beer
It's unfortunate that Utai is mostly remembered for that massive falcon these days.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is properly insane.. and you've got to give credit to St George for staying not only alive, but in the game... I don't think many of the modern day teams would survive that type of carnage.

Yeh Dylan really needs a partner in crime, can't do it all himself
I can't remember if it was a Dragon's player or just a journo writing an article before the game saying the Dragons had the better pack. I think the Dogs answered that question.

I was at that game and was soaked head to toe and the water amplified the hits sound around the ground.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We were fitter than anyone back then, can't say the same for today. Like you said wrestle has also changed the way you defend and you'd probably get cut to pieces of your tried defending like that now.
You would have to be unbelievably fit to pull that off for 80 mins and was that 12 interchanges back then too?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
FFS, watch the defence, they didn’t move up rapidly in a line like every team is trained to today. Not only was the defence line staggered they were also unevenly spaced and often caught flat footed. This also enabled poor tacklers to be identified and found out more easily in defence.

In the period since then overall all teams’ defence has improved multiple times, particularly in slowing down the play the ball, which the already sophisticated attack hasn’t and probably can’t match.

Go Dogs

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if it was a Dragon's player or just a journo writing an article before the game saying the Dragons had the better pack. I think the Dogs answered that question.

I was at that game and was soaked head to toe and the water amplified the hits sound around the ground.
That wouldn't surprise me given the display the boys put on, there would have been some sore bodies after that game. I'd love to know how a Taumalalo would have faired against an onslaught like that.. don't think he would have had much of an impact against that

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yup, the attacking intent these forwards had is non existent today along with the genuine lack of footy athleticism and ability. All these guys could do the basics really well while going above and beyond in multiple areas of their game while the c*** we have today struggle to even do the basics. It's also compounded by the fact that so many of them are very similar in style and lack any sort of explosive power yet Pay stacks the side with them. Even Thompson who's our big money forward signing I have massive doubts over, bloke gets snapped in half everytime he has played NRL quality opposition and looks reliant on working off a bigger body prop.
"explosive power" that is exactly what we lack in our forwards. To negate the effects of wrestle you need either explosive power or consistent offloads with support play.

Best example of this now is the Broncos forward pack. Always running with intent to break the line, Fifita will run across field to find a gap in the defence he can target.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bulldogs from 2002-2004 were incredible to watch. How we only won 1 GF in the 2000's is a tragedy.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sherwin to Haem for the first try. Their connection was special.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How good was Shifty’s kicking game every kick is spot on.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bloody hell our attack was good back then

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This Thurston bloke looks shit, can't even tackle ffs

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
They sure loved putting the cheerleaders on camera back in those days lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Utai was a little machine, we all loved him and him an El magic together was even better.!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Great game management Sherwin... we need to persist with this Thurston kid, trust me.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hook Shifty, he's going to cost us the game!