The Utai slam

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
At 5:00pm this afternoon (Saturday) Fox are doing a live call of Bulldogs v Roosters from 2003. At least it’s a little something to get a footy fix. That was one of my favourite games of all time.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was one of the Dogs’ greatest ever wins ... but ‘pissed off’ Braith Anasta thought they’d blown it

There was a special breed of Bulldogs in the early 2000s.

The likes of Brent ‘Shifty’ Sherwin, Braith Anasta, Hazem El Masri, Willie Mason – the list could go on and on. We also can’t forget about a baby-faced Johnathan Thurston breaking into the NRL via a blue and white jersey.

The team was unbelievably strong from 2001 to 2004. They won 17 consecutive games in ‘02 and were the ones to beat. Until 37 points were stripped of them for breaching the salary cap.

The Roosters won it that year.

Come 2003, the Bulldogs were determined to prove to themselves, their fans and the Roosters that they could have – or should have if you want to look at it that way – been the 2002 premiers.

A rivalry was brewing and in Round 9, 2003 the Bulldogs got their chance against the defending premiers.

The game was dubbed by commentators as the grand final we never saw – although ironically we did see it the following year.

It’s a game that every Doggies fan remembers. The Bulldogs faithful’s chants of ‘we are the premiers’ echoed in ANZ Stadium and carried on well after the game in the carpark.

And who could blame them after that spectacular finish.

Tied up at 26-all with just one minute left on the clock, the Dogs were in prime field goal position. Sherwin darted in at dummy-half and went left instead of right to a screaming Anasta who was ready to lodge one over the black dot.

Anasta threw his hands up in frustration thinking they’ve just wasted their one shot.

But what happened next is pure magic.

Sherwin threw the ball out to Utai on the wing who beat four Roosters to score THAT iconic slam dunk try.

17 years later, Fox League expert Braith Anasta recalls that match-winning last play.

“I remember it like it was yesterday,” he told Fox Sports.

“Obviously that was early in my career and I loved the field goal. I always put myself in a position to get it and I backed myself – I had already kicked a few before that.

“I was in the perfect position off a quick play the ball and I’ll never forget it. I was screaming for it and it went to ‘Shifty’ and I’m thinking ‘NO, it’s the last play of the game.’

“I was always one of those guys that you could read how I was feeling on the field so it was obvious that I was pissed off.

“Then it turned from agony to ecstasy. I remember being like ‘NO!,’ then all of a sudden ‘YES!’ as I ran over to Matty (Utai).

“It was honestly one of the best individual tries you’ll see and under pressure, it was huge.”

The nuggety Utai was Mr. Reliable out on the left edge. He scored 27 tries for the Bulldogs in 2003 and Anasta says as an underrated player this particular game showed just how good Utai was.

“He was the go-to. He was a totally different player to the wingers these days.

“These days you kick for your wingers, they’re 6ft 2 to 6ft 4, but he was just a powerhouse.

“He was so strong and because had a low centre of gravity they couldn’t really tackle him. They had to go high on him and if you went high on him he just brushed you off he’s that strong.

“He did these sort of plays often, nearly every week and he came up with some huge ones for us.

“He was probably an underrated player I reckon and this play and this game is probably a good indication of how good he was.”

It wasn’t uncommon for gloating Bulldogs fans to chant during a game and afterwards too in the carpark.

Among all of the highs he’s had in his career, Anasta still remembers the ‘we are the premiers’ chant that erupted at full time.

“Yeah, of course (I remember). That’s what it was all about, the rivalry was relentless,” he said.

“We were close to unbeatable (in 2002) so the next couple of years after we wanted blood, we wanted to get that premiership and the Roosters were standing in our way so that was why these games that we played were always so big.”

The 2003 and 2004 Bulldogs team came back from the salary cap scandal with a vengeance. They were hurting – but hungry – and Anasta reveals the extent the players went to, to keep building towards a premiership.

“It was horrible,” Anasta said of the 2002 salary cap breach.

“Some may argue we were the best team in the comp.

“We didn’t know as players but we were found to be cheating the salary cap so to come back the next year and a lot of people didn’t realise it, but we all took pay cuts at the time to stay together because we knew we had the team to win a premiership so we wanted to try and stick together.

“Obviously with the Roosters winning in 2002, we already had an epic rivalry with them at that time so we wanted to get it back and we thought that was ours.

“In hindsight I actually went (to the Roosters), but I’m talking for real at that time that should have been ours we were the best team that year and we wanted to make sure we got the job done in that period of time ‘03, ‘04 whatever it may have been while we had the team there so it was really big for us.”

And they did get it done. The Bulldogs beat their rivals, the Roosters 16-13 in the 2004 grand final.

Utai scored a double and in similar fate to that 2003 match, the Dogs’ other winger El Masri rolled over two Roosters to score the match-winner and seal the premiership.

Watch the Bulldogs and Roosters’ 2003 classic — part of Fox League’s Classics series — called LIVE on Saturday April 4 from 5pm AEDT on Fox League 502.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/dd2641d7aec8f1d5406e9be4d11514ce

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Utai was a tank. Hard to stop, and a great step. If the step didn't work, he just went through his opponents.

I particularly liked the 2011 Parra game, where Ennis got under Hindmarsh's skin. Both were biinned before half time, with the Eels leading 14-0; and that was after both sides already had one in the bin. The Dogs suddenly came to life with the extra room to move, and we won 34-14.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that Utai is mostly remembered for that massive falcon these days.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It was one of the Dogs’ greatest ever wins ... but ‘pissed off’ Braith Anasta thought they’d blown it

The likes of Brent ‘Shifty’ Sherwin, Braith Anasta, Hazem El Masri, Willie Mason – the list could go on and on. We also can’t forget about a baby-faced Johnathan Thurston breaking into the NRL via a blue and white jersey.

The team was unbelievably strong from 2001 to 2004. They won 17 consecutive games in ‘02 and were the ones to beat. Until 37 points were stripped of them for breaching the salary cap.

Come 2003, the Bulldogs were determined to prove to themselves, their fans and the Roosters that they could have – or should have if you want to look at it that way – been the 2002 premiers.

A rivalry was brewing and in Round 9, 2003 the Bulldogs got their chance against the defending premiers.

The game was dubbed by commentators as the grand final we never saw – although ironically we did see it the following year.

It’s a game that every Doggies fan remembers. The Bulldogs faithful’s chants of ‘we are the premiers’ echoed in ANZ Stadium and carried on well after the game in the carpark.

Tied up at 26-all with just one minute left on the clock, the Dogs were in prime field goal position. Sherwin darted in at dummy-half and went left instead of right to a screaming Anasta who was ready to lodge one over the black dot.

Anasta threw his hands up in frustration thinking they’ve just wasted their one shot.

Sherwin threw the ball out to Utai on the wing who beat four Roosters to score THAT iconic slam dunk try.

17 years later, Fox League expert Braith Anasta recalls that match-winning last play.

“Obviously that was early in my career and I loved the field goal. I always put myself in a position to get it and I backed myself – I had already kicked a few before that.

“I was in the perfect position off a quick play the ball and I’ll never forget it. I was screaming for it and it went to ‘Shifty’ and I’m thinking ‘NO, it’s the last play of the game.’

“I was always one of those guys that you could read how I was feeling on the field so it was obvious that I was pissed off.

“Then it turned from agony to ecstasy. I remember being like ‘NO!,’ then all of a sudden ‘YES!’ as I ran over to Matty (Utai).

“It was honestly one of the best individual tries you’ll see and under pressure, it was huge.”

The nuggety Utai was Mr. Reliable out on the left edge. He scored 27 tries for the Bulldogs in 2003 and Anasta says as an underrated player this particular game showed just how good Utai was.

“These days you kick for your wingers, they’re 6ft 2 to 6ft 4, but he was just a powerhouse.

“He was so strong and because had a low centre of gravity they couldn’t really tackle him. They had to go high on him and if you went high on him he just brushed you off he’s that strong.

“He did these sort of plays often, nearly every week and he came up with some huge ones for us.

“He was probably an underrated player I reckon and this play and this game is probably a good indication of how good he was.”

It wasn’t uncommon for gloating Bulldogs fans to chant during a game and afterwards too in the carpark.

Among all of the highs he’s had in his career, Anasta still remembers the ‘we are the premiers’ chant that erupted at full time.

“Yeah, of course (I remember). That’s what it was all about, the rivalry was relentless,” he said.

“We were close to unbeatable (in 2002) so the next couple of years after we wanted blood, we wanted to get that premiership and the Roosters were standing in our way so that was why these games that we played were always so big.”

The 2003 and 2004 Bulldogs team came back from the salary cap scandal with a vengeance. They were hurting – but hungry – and Anasta reveals the extent the players went to, to keep building towards a premiership.

“We didn’t know as players but we were found to be cheating the salary cap so to come back the next year and a lot of people didn’t realise it, but we all took pay cuts at the time to stay together because we knew we had the team to win a premiership so we wanted to try and stick together.

“Obviously with the Roosters winning in 2002, we already had an epic rivalry with them at that time so we wanted to get it back and we thought that was ours.

“In hindsight I actually went (to the Roosters), but I’m talking for real at that time that should have been ours we were the best team that year and we wanted to make sure we got the job done in that period of time ‘03, ‘04 whatever it may have been while we had the team there so it was really big for us.”

And they did get it done. The Bulldogs beat their rivals, the Roosters 16-13 in the 2004 grand final.

Utai scored a double and in similar fate to that 2003 match, the Dogs’ other winger El Masri rolled over two Roosters to score the match-winner and seal the premiership.

Watch the Bulldogs and Roosters’ 2003 classic — part of Fox League’s Classics series — called LIVE on Saturday April 4 from 5pm AEDT on Fox League 502.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/dd2641d7aec8f1d5406e9be4d11514ce

See the roosters fans having a cry on that post too haha

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Cheers for that. Afternoon sorted.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you go back and watch the highights of the team from this era. You will see that our forwards always showed intent to break the line and search for an offload. The support play was from all players on the field not just Patten. Now we just do one out hit ups never testing the defence (Tolman and others). No one pushes up in support because they do not believe they will get any rewards.

What a pass from Sherwin and the pick up from Utai was exceptional. Then the speed and strength to beat 3 players.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If you go back and watch the highights of the team from this era. You will see that our forwards always showed intent to break the line and search for an offload. The support play was from all players on the field not just Patten. Now we just do one out hit ups never testing the defence (Tolman and others). No one pushes up in support because they do not believe they will get any rewards.

What a pass from Sherwin and the pick up from Utai was exceptional. Then the speed and strength to beat 3 players.

It was a different style of footy back then but even then our players now are bums compared to that lot.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was a different style of footy back then but even then our players now are bums compared to that lot.
Absolutely. We had some tough nuts in the team back then. Real enforcers that would not only bash the opposition but looked for offloads and ran lines. Now we have people praising forwards who tackle all game and offer zero intimidation and zero offloads.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Absolutely. We had some tough nuts in the team back then. Real enforcers that would not only bash the opposition but looked for offloads and ran lines. Now we have people praising forwards who tackle all game and offer zero intimidation and zero offloads.
Yup, the attacking intent these forwards had is non existent today along with the genuine lack of footy athleticism and ability. All these guys could do the basics really well while going above and beyond in multiple areas of their game while the ***** we have today struggle to even do the basics. It's also compounded by the fact that so many of them are very similar in style and lack any sort of explosive power yet Pay stacks the side with them. Even Thompson who's our big money forward signing I have massive doubts over, bloke gets snapped in half everytime he has played NRL quality opposition and looks reliant on working off a bigger body prop.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know this has already been posted on here but this needs to be played at training at least once every quarter.... 80 minute onslaught; the lines speed across the park is the same in the last 10 as it was in the first 10, and the hits the same. This is why I wouldn't mind a guy like Jake Friend for a year or two, just to have a bully in the middle

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I know this has already been posted on here but this needs to be played at training at least once every quarter.... 80 minute onslaught; the lines speed across the park is the same in the last 10 as it was in the first 10, and the hits the same. This is why I wouldn't mind a guy like Jake Friend for a year or two, just to have a bully in the middle

Problem is we don't have anyone that is feared.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

That's a very rare to see a team sustain that type of intensity for the full 80 like that and that game was pre wrestle where teams were more focused on hitting then slowing down the play the ball.

In saying that our line speed has been terrible for years if we could improve that would make a massive difference. Players like Napa, Elliott and Jackson have some whack in their tackles but we rarely see it except for Napa.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Napa. Only thing is that he loses some of his intimidation when the opposition know they really only have to worry about one bloke
He's probably the closest we got, but even so he's more about going for that "one shot kill" which often he either misses completely or goes too high. But he's been quite tame since coming here.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a very rare to see a team sustain that type of intensity for the full 80 like that and that game was pre wrestle where teams were more focused on hitting then slowing down the play the ball.

In saying that our line speed has been terrible for years if we could improve that would make a massive difference. Players like Napa, Elliott and Jackson have some whack in their tackles but we rarely see it except for Napa.

It is properly insane.. and you've got to give credit to St George for staying not only alive, but in the game... I don't think many of the modern day teams would survive that type of carnage.

Yeh Dylan really needs a partner in crime, can't do it all himself

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

We were fitter than anyone back then, can't say the same for today. Like you said wrestle has also changed the way you defend and you'd probably get cut to pieces of your tried defending like that now.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's probably the closest we got, but even so he's more about going for that "one shot kill" which often he either misses completely or goes too high. But he's been quite tame since coming here.
I think he was more focused on trying to offer more with ball, and play the longer minutes last year, but we saw much more mongrel in him over the Summer, and to start the season... TPJ would be ideal except for the fact that he has no control and spends half the time on the sidelines