The untold story of how the Bulldogs let Johnathan Thurston sign with the Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anasta only had 1 year left, he wasn't just resigned. If the made the decision to keep Anasta over JT folkes should have extended anasta before he told JT to go.

Can't believe people are trying to justify it. JT was always going to be a star and folkes fu(ked up big time.
Willie Mason has told this story a few times. He and Anasta were off contract at the same time. Both were given contracts and they were told only one could be re-signed, whoever agreed to terms first would be kept, the other will have to move on. Mason pretty much signed the deal straight away.

Folkes couldn't see the potential in JT but saw the future as being Holdsworth or Roberts partnering Sherwin, fkn lol.

But you're exactly right if the club made a decision that Anasta was the half they wanted to keep they should have thought further ahead then 1 year - goes to show how poor the management of the club was at that time.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
His religion was Christianity at the time. Folkes remarks were about not letting Mundine and the manager flop get into his head and manipulating him to convert to Islam and ultimately leave the dogs.
SBW is a great human being. Down to Earth and humble.

People grow up I guess.

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I didnt expect 4 dally m's but I for one can honestly put my hand up and say I knew he was a special talent. I watched him play reserve grade and he was a freak, way too good for them, but he was small and didn't have as much bulk as he does now. I was devastated we lost Thurston at the time.
Ps mbye is nowhere near what Thurston was at same age..
Agree, my mates who don't support the dogs were bagging him supreme back then. I told them this guy was going to be a great. Funny enough they are QLD fans and now think JT's shit don't stink.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
SBW is a great human being. Down to Earth and humble.

People grow up I guess.
People grow up?
You saying by him converting to Islam makes him a grown up? Or you saying in general his a changed man?

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
People grow up?
You saying by him converting to Islam makes him a grown up? Or you saying in general his a changed man?
In general he's a changed man.
What kind of question is that?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Nobody called Thurston a great or future great in 2004. ****ing nonsense. His nickname back then was Turnston because he was a turnstyle. Yeah he was great in reserve grade but he wasn't anything special in first grade as Anasta was miles ahead of him.

Another thing, everyone thought that Thurston at his best might be like Preston Campbell. It was never envisaged that he would turn into a beast.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Folkesy was the best coach we ever had and Noad still done a better job than Greenberg FACT!

#NoadIn
#FolkesyIn

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
an article based on a lot of whats... what haves, what could of being, what should of happened, and what didnt happen

bringitontm

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Folkesy was the best coach we ever had and Noad still done a better job than Greenberg FACT!

#NoadIn
#FolkesyIn
Folks was dead average. He had one of the best teams ever assembled at his disposal and managed to win 1 grandfinal and lose 1.

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Folksey was never a coach/man manager ,should have stuck to being a trainer,very ordinary talent spotting there

Are you for real.

Folksey almost singlehandedly got us throught some of the most turbulent periods of our history.
He coached us to our last premiership in 2004.

He developed a lot of players during that period and was able to harness, positively, some wayward talents.

To discredit Steve Folkes demonstrates your inability to grasp reality.

I'd love to say I enjoyed your post but I'm afraid not - it stunk, probably like you!

Status
Not open for further replies.