The untold story of how the Bulldogs let Johnathan Thurston sign with the Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll say it on behalf of everyone..... Folkes and Noad are dumb ****s.
That's not exactly true,
Folks wanted jt to stay, but fogs at the time were trying to keep salery cap under control,
Mistake mad was making Anasta a priority on not jt,
But at the time Anasta was a rep player,
Thurston was an unknown prospect,

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL I've heard a much different intold story about why he wasn't signed...

Also is it me or is Sam Ayoub sounding so smug saying "... I knew he would be a superstar..."? Is your son a superstar in your eyes Sammy or are you just using your name to get him game time like alot of younger players have told me? Smug **** and a half lol

milkdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does anyone reckon that maybe he was a rapist and that's why we let him go?
Or just a stupid decision by the dogs to let him go (in hindsight)?

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think indirectly what happened to Thurston was maybe the crack/reason the rat pack fell apart (mason, asotasi, Maitua, sonny, Tonga) all were close like brothers and looked out for each other. And funny when one fell all fell within a few years.

I'm sure Thurston probably told them how he was treated and they always had that hatred towards the CEO and the coach. They probably just wanted to play together. Mason was known to head butt with noad a lot. And the sonny bill folkes fued has been talked about plenty before on here.

Sad thing is we haven't really had much come through our system for the last 10 years until Klemmer, Jackson and kas came along. And definitely no one 1/10th as good as Thurston. All good to let one go. But Atleast try find another one.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Coffs rumours
I heard it also at the time,
I remember that as well come to think of it. There was some talk the woman was paid off if I remember correctly. Anyway its all water under the bridge now.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember that as well come to think of it. There was some talk the woman was paid off if I remember correctly. Anyway its all water under the bridge now.
From what I heard, and it's all speculation,
Was the girl was consenting to sex when a few other players entered the room,
She engaged in a bit of a gangbang that got out of her control,
She went along with it all and regretted it during and imediatly after the event,
She was never paid off, but there were too many holes in her story that the professional Bulldogs legal team exploited.

I don't think she was raped, but taken advantage of, and mistreated.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The thing with JT was that the dogs have just signed a new deal with the 2 halfs and didn't need JT . where would they play him Off the bench as a impact player ?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing with JT was that the dogs have just signed a new deal with the 2 halfs and didn't need JT . where would they play him Off the bench as a impact player ?
Would of he been a better dummy half then perry?

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There were several reasons why Thurston didn't get resigned.

1.The club was still cleaning up after the salary cap scandal from 2002. A lot of our players signed back-ended contracts and the larger payments were starting to come through from 2005 onwards. Things were pretty tight so even an additional $30K would have been an issue.
2. At the time Anasta was seen as the next Laurie Daley or Brad Fittler. He had played SOO and Tests and was supposed to go on and become one of the greats. The club simply had to make a choice.
3. There were off-field incidents which saw him as a potential liability.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If he had stayed with us I reckon we would have won another 3-4 premierships - probably 2006, 2012, 2014 and possibly 2009.

Good luck to him on Sunday.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
There were several reasons why Thurston didn't get resigned.

1.The club was still cleaning up after the salary cap scandal from 2002. A lot of our players signed back-ended contracts and the larger payments were starting to come through from 2005 onwards. Things were pretty tight so even an additional $30K would have been an issue.
2. At the time Anasta was seen as the next Laurie Daley or Brad Fittler. He had played SOO and Tests and was supposed to go on and become one of the greats. The club simply had to make a choice.
3. There were off-field incidents which saw him as a potential liability.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If he had stayed with us I reckon we would have won another 3-4 premierships - probably 2006, 2012, 2014 and possibly 2009.

Good luck to him on Sunday.
Well said and I hope he does win the grandfinal and signs with the dogs next year

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Noad the dog also said Isaac like was too small and couldn't tackle lol
fcuk me if anyone fcuked up the bulldogs from 2004 onwards it was that scum bag wannabe footy administrator. It's like he was paid to work against us.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a case of what might of been with Thurston
hes my most loved non bulldogs player by a country mile (current).
he also got the most loved player at the daly m's by the fans last night
a true immortal in my eyes

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Willie Mason, I remember one time I spotted him walking into an A Mart All Sports shop attached to Willie Tonga's hip the year he played for the Cowboys (the year those cheating Mexicans got found out). I swear that bloke never shuts his gob

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
I cried when he left to....used to love watching him in lower grades and thought this kid was something special

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For all the weepers out there - place yourself in the shoes of the then administrators and tell me they did the wrong thing.
What were they meant to be - Nostra-****in-damis?
This happens all the time so get over yourselves.

You may as well cry about the girl you reckon you should have married.
For ****'s sake - cry over something decent , like spilt milk!

Status
Not open for further replies.