The Tennis Thread

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I didn't really get into the Open this year. I found it really... dull. I actually preferred when it was on channel 7, and also when the court was green. The blue surface is an eye sore.

I also preferred the old Australian Open logo

The new AO is poor. At least it doesn't say "Grand Slam of Asia Pacific" on it - that's Kia for you.

upload_2020-2-3_9-25-7.png

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Novak Djokovic on His Tennis Game on Belgrade Street

BY SAMIR SATAM
FEBRUARY 21, 2020

Colby Covington Gives Bold Prediction For Jorge Masvidal vs Kamaru Usman
Novak Djokovic is in Belgrade, Serbia this week as he dedicates his time to the Novak Djokovic Foundation. While in Belgrade, Djokovic saw a few kids playing tennis on the street in the neighborhood. Naturally, he could not resist joining in with the kids’ game.

It’s my pleasure- Novak Djokovic
The World No. 1 has no qualms in playing a game of street tennis with some kids. Maybe he simply could not resist the urge, given that he is off the Tour a couple of weeks now.

When he first saw the kids playing without a net, he went over and had a little chat with them.

“It was spontaneous, I was coming back with rackets, the first time I saw the kids playing tennis without a net. Then I told them I was going to bring a net between two lamp posts to hook them up and play nicely.”

I can only imagine the rush the kids went through when the country’s hero came up to them. They probably never even dreamed they would get the chance to play with one of the greatest tennis players ever, especially on the streets of Belgrade.

PIN IT

Humility has always been a pillar of Novak’s character throughout his career. He is a man of principles. And while there may have been times when his conduct on the court did not sit well with fans, it is imperative to understand the range of emotions players go through in the heat of battle.

It is not always easy to keep your emotions under the wraps when you are out there all alone, fighting.

Check out the video of Novak playing with the kids on the streets of Belgrade.

ATP Tour

✔@atptour

You have to love this from @DjokerNole

Playing tennis in the streets of Belgrade with some local fans

3:50 AM - Feb 19, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

2,063 people are talking about this

Djokovic elaborated further on what the incident meant to him personally.

“It was great, for such moments one lives. Now, as a father, I invoke these situations to play with the children, and it is my pleasure to see the children play tennis, hit the wall, that’s how we all started.”

“It was an amazing decade for our tennis. That obviously helped the popularity of the sport in our country. There was a lot of interest, a lot of young people choosing to grab a tennis racquet.”

Such wise words from a terrific champion. Novak is quite big on making the sport popular in his country. Talking about the recent success Serbia had in tennis, he hopes it will only get better going forward.

You can watch the video here or just click on the picture above: https://www.essentiallysports.com/n...tennis-game-on-belgrade-street-atp-news-2020/

Great bloke, great champion !!!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Is that where he learnt how to fake injuries when behind?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is that where he learnt how to fake injuries when behind?
Yeah he sure did fake it against Dominic Thiem, he also fake it in 2017 when he left the game for 15 months sacrificing his number 1 ranking in the process falling as far back as number 13 in the world. Dominic led 2 sets to 1 with the biased crowd against the Djoker only to make a come back and win his 8th Australian Open. Throw your hate to one side for a second and correct me if I'm wrong but Fed and Raffa have never won 8 Australian Opens I believe??? That would make the Djoker the only man in history that has. Not bad for a faker :grinning: But I understand haters gotta hate, I mean who really cares if the world's number 1 ranked tennis player took time out of his schedule to have a impromptu tennis game with a bunch of kids. How dare he show his human side. Everyone loved the Djoker when he played second fiddle to Raffa and Fed, but the Djoker isn't so funny anymore. Boooo Djoker :grinning:

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah he sure did fake it against Dominic Thiem, he also fake it in 2017 when he left the game for 15 months sacrificing his number 1 ranking in the process falling as far back as number 13 in the world. Dominic led 2 sets to 1 with the biased crowd against the Djoker only to make a come back and win his 8th Australian Open. Throw your hate to one side for a second and correct me if I'm wrong but Fed and Raffa have never won 8 Australian Opens I believe??? That would make the Djoker the only man in history that has. Not bad for a faker :grinning: But I understand haters gotta hate, I mean who really cares if the world's number 1 ranked tennis player took time out of his schedule to have a impromptu tennis game with a bunch of kids. How dare he show his human side. Everyone loved the Djoker when he played second fiddle to Raffa and Fed, but the Djoker isn't so funny anymore. Boooo Djoker :grinning:
Djoker seems very likeable to me and is by far the best player in the world these days. May finish his career as the best of all time.

Good on him!

Wahesh

Reaction score
Sharapova hangs up the racket aged 32.

I think she had a few more years left in her, but that unfair ban she copped derailed her and she just hasn't been able to get back into form since.

She will be forever remembered as that naive unknown 17 year old who defeated Serena Williams at Wimbledon 2004.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sharapova hangs up the racket aged 32.

I think she had a few more years left in her, but that unfair ban she copped derailed her and she just hasn't been able to get back into form since.

She will be forever remembered as that naive unknown 17 year old who defeated Serena Williams at Wimbledon 2004.
Ban wasn't really unfair - athletes need to keep themselves up to date on firstly, what they are ingesting, and secondly, whether its legal (in her case, the substance became illegal where it was once legal).

Often this would bring out others in support of the banned player, but Sharapova had such a bad reputation amongst her peers that nobody was interested.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TENNIS
“Maria Sharapova’s Brand Exceeds Her Tennis Achievements” – Novak Djokovic

BY MAHALAKSHMI MURALI
FEBRUARY 27, 2020

Philadelphia 76ers News: Joel Embiid Injury Scare Has Fans Worried
The five-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova bid her goodbye to tennis on Wednesday. Upon hearing her retirement news World Number one Novak Djokovic congratulated her for a phenomenal career.

Right after his second-round match win in Dubai, he called on the crowd in the stadium to give Sharapova a round of applause in honor of “everything she has done in her career.” For the years to come the Russian will be remembered for her accomplishments on the WTA Tour. And her tennis is something more than Grand Slams and Olympic medals.

Besides her on-court performance, her business ventures have also inspired numerous individuals, and her Surgerpova candy brand has been immensely successful.

“Her impact on the sport, not just women’s tennis, but men’s tennis, tennis in general, was great. It still is great. It’s going to keep on being present because her brand I think exceeds her tennis achievements,” said Novak Djokovic.

PIN IT

“She’s a very smart girl, someone that I know very well for a long time. She has the mind of a champion, someone that never gives up. She’s shown that especially in the last five years,” he added.

“She had a lot of obstacles and difficulties” – Novak Djokovic
The Russian tennis ace has recently been plagued with numerous injuries. In 2019, she just had eight match wins and during the Australian Summer 2020, she was win-less.

“She has the mind of a champion, someone that never gives up. She’s shown that, especially in the last five years. She had a lot of obstacles and difficulties, especially with her injuries and everything that she had to endure in order to give herself at least another chance to play competitive tennis,” Novak said.

“For someone that has won five Grand Slams and has been No. 1 of the world, a legend of the sport, it’s not easy to kind of restart all over again. She has done that so many times in the last five years,” he added.

PIN IT

“Respect, great respect to her I wish her huge relief. I’m sure she’s feeling huge relief right now. I would guess that’s kind of a feeling that comes in first. She should definitely be proud of everything she has achieved.”

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ban wasn't really unfair - athletes need to keep themselves up to date on firstly, what they are ingesting, and secondly, whether its legal (in her case, the substance became illegal where it was once legal).

Often this would bring out others in support of the banned player, but Sharapova had such a bad reputation amongst her peers that nobody was interested.
Don Bradman had a bad reputation amongst his peers..... unless you know her, you don’t know the full story.

I’ve heard that the women’s professional tennis circuit is a pretty competitive, cutthroat place and there are many players who don’t like each other.

She deserved her ban, but not the level of criticism she received... especially from Eugenie Bouchard. If she had put the same amount of energy she put into demonising Maria Sharapova into working on her game, she might still be relevant.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Angelina Dimova

No further comment needed. Just google her.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
^^^GOAT of clay not allcourt..anyway...

I see Djokovic was at the faking again Friday night, side strain allegedly so drops sets 3 and 4(the live betting was very interesting he got out to 5.50 at one point)miraculously revives and wins the 5th 6-2 what a dodgy effort,,,
Speaking of dodgy efforts...De MInaur meekly going out in straight sets to Fognini, a handy Italian but highly beatable imo.Didn't give a yelp.
Finally, enjoyed Kyrgios's last two matches what an opportunity lost on Friday when he really should have beaten Thiem from 2 sets to love up he was kicking his arse bigtime..played great has a big game the biggest of any aussie ever as we know his temperament can be pretty fucked up :laughing:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fairly tame tournament again this year, Kyrgios the highlight.Good to see the crowd let him know he is very popular they were going off bigtime.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Fairly tame tournament again this year, Kyrgios the highlight.Good to see the crowd let him know he is very popular they were going off bigtime.
How can anybody support that fucking tosser, quite possibly the biggest fuckwit in world sport. That's a massive achievement in itself.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Man this Aus Open has been even worse that last year. It's a combination of:
  • No fans (no atmosphere)
  • Hosted in February
  • Blue court (has always been an eyesore)
  • Channel 9 (worst coverage yet)
  • Stupid ATP Cup lead up event (elaborated on below).
How good was it in earlier years when they had the Hopman Cup in Perth which would usually run over New Years, then the Adelaide Cup, Brisbane Cup, Sydney International, Kooyong Classic, then concluding with the main event, the Aus Open? Of course there would be smaller tournaments in Hobart, Gold Coast and Canberra too during this time, but it was almost like Australia had the tennis world reserved in January. It's not like that anymore with the above list items.

Wahesh

Reaction score
And Barty is gone. She was doing pretty well until Muchova took a medical timeout. FMD I hate medical timeouts, they changes the complexion and momentum of the game completely. If you're doing shit, then just cop it on the chin and lose.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I enjoy watching all of the big 3 but Novak’s continual faking of injuries has turned me right off. The bloke must be mental to think everyone would just believe he tore his abdominals which took an hour to heal completely