The Tennis Thread

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bugger it, i'm starting a tennis thread.

I know the French Open is like the Commonwealth Games of the tennis world. Nobody cares much, and we're just waiting for the bigger tournaments (Wimbedon and US), but Its great to watch Ash Barty on her way to the final.

There's nothing special to look at. She doesn't have the height of Sharapova, or aggression of William or even Our Sam's guns, and she doesn't scream her head off.. she just plugs away. Chick even took a year off to have a mental break and play cricket.

Its during these moments I pretend to be an actual Queenslander :grinning:

Anyone else watching, or maybe just me? :grinning:

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Won’t get a better chance to win a grand slam

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Barty wins the French Open as she has been slowly improving her game for a while and has not taken any shortcuts with drugs unlike other female major winners.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Agree, she deserves to take home the trophy.

The media is too focussed on Tomic, Stosur, Krygios, and that other lesbian tennis player. Meanwhile Barty has been head down concentrating on her game and getting results. Good on her!

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Was a funny old game to watch. Both players bringing themselves back from the brink several times throughout.

Barty started by winning the 1st 5 games. Then got beaten in the the tie breaker after twice being up a mini break.
Then proceeded to lose about 20 straight points if you include the end of the 1st set the breaker. Barty then won 6 straight sets to take the second after being down 3 - 0.

Hell of a game

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, she deserves to take home the trophy.

The media is too focussed on Tomic, Stosur, Krygios, and that other lesbian tennis player. Meanwhile Barty has been head down concentrating on her game and getting results. Good on her!
Have you read Martina Navratilova's autobiography? Its called "How to lick your opponent".

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Women’s draw is an absolute lottery as usual. Bartys best ever chance!

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
If Kyrgios had Barty's mental application then he would be a grand slam champ by now. Never whinges, never complains, never beats herself up, never gives up on a shot, doesn't even try and question line ball's or request reviews just gets on with it.

Respect and congratulations what a great role model for athletes of all sports.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I started a thread in the other sports section for this very purpose!

Why do I bother?

*throws arms in air in disgust and storms out of room*

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Why do I bother?

All you need to do is snap your fingers and say @Mr Invisible please move & merge.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Always been a fan of Ash and I knew she had it in her to win a major... I just never thought it would be this soon. Let’s hope she can bring home one of the bigger ones though or even our own!

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why do I bother?

Sorry Croydon Dog I was still working my way through the forum and in my excitement thought I would mention Ash. I think I have got the Forum worked out now.

My only remaining problem is trying to work out who's taking the piss and who's serious.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I was going to call it the "Ash Barty thread", but with Wimbledon around the corner, i thought we might be able to keep the thread going.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Nadal won the mens. Not that anyone cares. He's closing the gap on Federer. Still a tough task though, I'm not sure how many more French Opens Nadal has in him.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nadal won the mens. Not that anyone cares. He's closing the gap on Federer. Still a tough task though, I'm not sure how many more French Opens Nadal has in him.
2. If Djokovic gets injured, Nadal will catch Fed

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Congratulations to World #1 Ash Barty. From quitting the sport to rising to the top in only 3 years. Doesn't have the height of Sharapova or the power of a Williams, but then again, neither was Lleyton Hewitt.

Anyway, i thought with Wimbledon around the corner it was time to bump the thread.