The Tennis Thread

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone think this game was invented by people fly swatting.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smashing racquets has been happening for decades. From McEnroe to Ivanisevic to Kygrios. There have always been the "bad boys" in tennis.

Like I said, he was pissed because he knew this was his best chance to win a major with no Novak, Nadal, Fed etc and having just beat the #1 seed. Most of us vent like that after a Bulldogs loss. It's not a big deal if someone vents like that after losing a match that was his best chance to fulfil his lifelong dream of winning a slam..
He can do what he likes but it's not a good look for potential younger players coming through when they see a high-profile player carrying on like that.

As I said he's his own worst enemy by not ever having a coach to help him, not just physically but mentally.

He will never win a Grand Slam without a coach. No doubt he has the ability to win a Grand Slam but mentally he will never win one. That's not due to only his outbursts and meltdowns. It is also knowing how to close out a game, set and or match. He wins a few points with miraculous shots and a few games when his serve is on, but he then plays dumb tennis to allow his opponent back into the game.

Djokovic, Federer and Nadal all had the knowledge and ability to work through any lapses through a match, Kygrios doesn't have that and never will without a coach.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
I dont care what people think. He's great for the sport. Whether his actions are good or bad he puts bums on seats

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I dont care what people think. He's great for the sport. Whether his actions are good or bad he puts bums on seats
Definitely puts bums on seats. Due to the fact that he is a fucking cockhead. People either tune in to see him spit his dummy or tune in hoping to watch him lose.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Definitely puts bums on seats. Due to the fact that he is a fucking cockhead. People either tune in to see him spit his dummy or tune in hoping to watch him lose.
Haha I want to see him lose it but win. It's entertaining lmao

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Federer set to retire end of September. Gunna be weird without him (even though he’s been constantly injured for about 2 seasons)
He's still the best ever player of all time. At his peak he was unbeatable, only asterisk I'd put is Nadal best Clay player of all time.

See an article online that Serena Williams may come out of retirement, that didn't last long.

Apparently, she was on an American talk show and mentioned that Tom Brady has created a cool trend.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Federer will rue those two Wimbledon championship points he had on his service in the final against Djokovic in 2019..would have have been first to 21 grand slams and sealed the question of who was the GOAT..as he beat Nadal in the semis..

Funny game Tennis Federer won more points, more games, and more sets but still lost.. Anyway IMHO, at his peak he was the greatest..and the greatest to watch..

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh I've always loved Feds he was the majestic one of the big 3 playing out of this world shots at times.
The other two were probably mentally stronger over the journey but fuck he was a true great.
I've been gutted a few times with blokes losing a grand slam ie years ago when Cash lost to Wilander, Rafter losing to Ivanisevic and the one you mention Mr 95 the loss to Djokovic at Wimbledon when nearly 37 years old.
He righted the domination Nadal had over him in the latter years that's what sealed his GOAT status for me.
He was actually a little unlucky Nadal was around, any other time in history he would have won MANY French Open slams too I reckon.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Federer will rue those two Wimbledon championship points he had on his service in the final against Djokovic in 2019..would have have been first to 21 grand slams and sealed the question of who was the GOAT..as he beat Nadal in the semis..

Funny game Tennis Federer won more points, more games, and more sets but still lost.. Anyway IMHO, at his peak he was the greatest..and the greatest to watch..
100% Mr 95%.

Federer won his 1st Grand Slam title way back in 2003 at Wimbledon, the following year in February he was ranked World # 1 and held that title at one stage for an incredible 237 consecutive weeks!

Nadal as mentioned is clearly the best clay court player but could match it with the best, on his day, on grass and hard courts.

Djokovic joined those 2 after not being able to compete with them earlier in his career when they were at their top. Around 13, 14 years ago Djokovic hired a Dietitian and found out he was gluten intolerant. Cut gluten from his diet and as they say the rest is history.

3 Absolute greats of tennis at the one time. Doubt there will ever be a stronger era than when these 3 dominated Tennis for some 20 years.

Sampras and Agassi are also considered greats IMO but those 3 are next level.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
100% Mr 95%.

Federer won his 1st Grand Slam title way back in 2003 at Wimbledon, the following year in February he was ranked World # 1 and held that title at one stage for an incredible 237 consecutive weeks!

Nadal as mentioned is clearly the best clay court player but could match it with the best, on his day, on grass and hard courts.

Djokovic joined those 2 after not being able to compete with them earlier in his career when they were at their top. Around 13, 14 years ago Djokovic hired a Dietitian and found out he was gluten intolerant. Cut gluten from his diet and as they say the rest is history.

3 Absolute greats of tennis at the one time. Doubt there will ever be a stronger era than when these 3 dominated Tennis for some 20 years.

Sampras and Agassi are also considered greats IMO but those 3 are next level.
What a difference when Djokovic worked out his diet..he wilted in the heat..wow!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also fellas an honourable mention to Andy Murray who maybe only won 4 slams but he was very nearly the 4th member..absolutely super player AND competitor.
Any other era he wins 10/15? He would kill all the current second raters with maybe one exception this Alcaraz kid rising up.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a difference when Djokovic worked out his diet..he wilted in the heat..wow!
Rod is spot on he struggled was defaulting couldn't hack the heat here etc..went away bettered himself transitioned into basically a cyborg and a true great after it looked unlikely early on, great credit to his desire to succeed.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Rod is spot on he struggled was defaulting couldn't hack the heat here etc..went away bettered himself transitioned into basically a cyborg and a true great after it looked unlikely early on, great credit to his desire to succeed.
Totally agree..deserves his success!

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh I've always loved Feds he was the majestic one of the big 3 playing out of this world shots at times.
The other two were probably mentally stronger over the journey but fuck he was a true great.
I've been gutted a few times with blokes losing a grand slam ie years ago when Cash lost to Wilander, Rafter losing to Ivanisevic and the one you mention Mr 95 the loss to Djokovic at Wimbledon when nearly 37 years old.
He righted the domination Nadal had over him in the latter years that's what sealed his GOAT status for me.
He was actually a little unlucky Nadal was around, any other time in history he would have won MANY French Open slams too I reckon.
Agree with most of that but, you're going to hate this, I'm pro Aussie most of the time, from Newcombe, Edmondson, Alexander, Rafter and Hewitt but I was not a fan of Cash other than when he played for Australia in the Davis Cup.

Many know of the antics of Kyrgios and remember McEnroe but while Cash wasn't as vocal or tyrannical as those two, he was a still a grub and was in the news for all the wrong reasons on many occasions. His dad didn't help as well.

Yeh, happy he won Wimbledon as it is a massive achievement for any player, but I was actually going for Wilander the year they both met in the Final of the Australian Open as I couldn't stand Cash at the time. Spat on cameras and reporters and was a real dick at the time.

Wilander was a true gentleman of the game and never got upset as was the case with a long line of Swedes, from one of the greatest in Borg and then Edberg. They never got flustered or blew up, Edberg may have once or twice but it was insignificant compared to McEnroe and Kyrgios these days.

I'd have Borg and McEnroe in my top 10 male players of all time. I could easily name my top 8 but I'd have to think the last 2.

While Wilander will never make the annals of the all-time greats, as he never had a power game, he did win 7 Grand Slam titles, 3 Australian, 3 French and One US Open title. He wore his opponents down, but his biggest asset was his mental strength. He won clutch points more so than many other players around that time who would choke under pressure, Wilander didn't. If you were to see the scores from a number of his matches, he lost more games in a match but still won the match. Could win the first set 7-6, lose the 2nd 1-6 then win 7-6, 6-4.