The Tennis Thread

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations to World #1 Ash Barty. From quitting the sport to rising to the top in only 3 years. Doesn't have the height of Sharapova or the power of a Williams, but then again, neither was Lleyton Hewitt.

Anyway, i thought with Wimbledon around the corner it was time to bump the thread.
Yeah a well deserved appointment to the #1 position. First Aussie female to sit at the top in 40 years I read earlier.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah a well deserved appointment to the #1 position. First Aussie female to sit at the top in 40 years I read earlier.
Yvonne Goolagong (1976). Grew up in Barellan. She was a remarkable player.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Nick Kyrgios, back to his Karmichael best!

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Nick Kyrgios was actually mentally stable he'd be the best tennis player in the world.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Nick Kyrgios was actually mentally stable he'd be the best tennis player in the world.
Yes he has the talent, but just cant control the demons. Imagine a match between Kyrgios and Tomic , it would just end with them both walking off after 2 games.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yes he has the talent, but just cant control the demons. Imagine a match between Kyrgios and Tomic , it would just end with them both walking off after 2 games.
Nah, Tomic would lie down and let Special K win.

BTW that Tomic Tank cost him heavily... he was fined $80,000. Formally, the was fined £45,000 - which is $80,000 - so he walks out of the All England Tennis Club with $0 prize money.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW that Tomic Tank cost him heavily... he was fined $80,000. Formally, the was fined £45,000 - which is $80,000 - so he walks out of the All England Tennis Club with $0 prize money.
well you wouldnt want to watch Tomic The Tank Engine play as you wouldn't get your moneys worth. Seriously though he deserves to go no $, what is his problem??

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Tomic has a king size chip on his shoulder, he can afford it lol he says he has millions. He hates Australian tennis embarrassing when He suppose to represent Australia or commentators say his Australian.

Wahesh

Reaction score
...and the streak ends for Barty - lost to American Alison Riske!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
US Open is moving along, and I thought this from Naomi Osaka was pure class....

Naomi Osaka defeats Coco Gauff, two share post-game interview
World number one Naomi Osaka displayed the greatest act of sportsmanship following her match against teen sensation Coco Gauff

There wasn’t an empty seat inside Arthur Ashe stadium and in the end there wasn’t a dry eye either.

World number one and defending US Open champion Naomi Osaka got the better of 15-year-old sensation Coco Gauff in what turned out to be a one-sided match.

Osaka emerged victorious, claiming the 6-3, 6-0 victory but it was following the match where the real highlight emerged..

Stream live coverage of 2019 US Open with ESPN on KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Osaka approached her teenage opponent and invited her to do the post-game interview with her, a gesture Gauff initially rejected over fears she would “cry the whole way through”.

“No, you’re amazing. It’s better to do it here than going into the shower and crying,” Osaka responded.

The incredible moment was met with rapturous applause from the crowd and had fans on social media melting over the act from the world number one.

Naomi and Coco after their match.Source:Getty Images

“She (Osaka) told me that I did amazing and good luck and then she asked if I could do the on-court interview with her and I said no because I knew I was going to cry the whole time, but she encouraged me to do it,” Gauff said wiping away tears.

“She did amazing and I’m going to learn a lot from this match and she’s been so sweet to me so thank you for this.”

As she kicked off her interview, Osaka turned towards Gauff’s coaching box and displayed her class once again.

“You guys raised an amazing player, I remember I used to see you guys — I don’t want to cry — training in the same place as us. For me the fact that both of us made it and we’re both still working as hard as we can I think it’s incredible and I think you guys are amazing and I think Coco you’re amazing,” Osaka said.

The crowd applauded not only the beautiful moment between two of tennis’ stars but also the touching words from Osaka.

“After the match Naomi proved she is a true athlete,” Gauff said in the post-match press conference.

“For me a definition of an athlete is someone who treats you as their worst enemy on the court but after they treat you like you’re their best friend. That’s what she did.”

US Open Tennis

✔@usopen

https://twitter.com/usopen/status/1167968209334657024

A moment that transcends the sport...#USOpen

11:11 AM - Sep 1, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,062 people are talking about this

Bonnie D. Ford

✔@Bonnie_D_Ford

https://twitter.com/Bonnie_D_Ford/status/1167956835787165696

Absolutely awesome sportswomanship. #USOpen

10:26 AM - Sep 1, 2019

See Bonnie D. Ford's other Tweets

Kedzie Teller

✔@Kedz

https://twitter.com/Kedz/status/1167957869565599744

That will go down as one of the most important and most iconic post-match moments in #USOpen history. Thank you @Naomi_Osaka_! @CocoGauff

Can’t wait for years and years of battles - and friendship - between these two.

10:30 AM - Sep 1, 2019

See Kedzie Teller's other Tweets

Mike Dickson

✔@Mike_Dickson_DM

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dickson_DM/status/1167956334915944449

Classy from Naomi Osaka, inviting an emotional Coco Gauff to do a joint interview.

10:24 AM - Sep 1, 2019

See Mike Dickson's other Tweets

Mark Gottlieb

✔@MarkGottliebFOX

https://twitter.com/MarkGottliebFOX/status/1167956354553638913

Absolute class from Osaka consoling a distraught Gauff on court after her straight sets win. What a great champion she is and a star of the future for the young American. We’re gonna see these two face off a lot #usopen

10:24 AM - Sep 1, 2019 · Brisbane, Queensland

See Mark Gottlieb's other Tweets

Gillian Tan

✔@GillianTan

https://twitter.com/GillianTan/status/1167956589665349632

Sweet gesture by @Naomi_Osaka_ asking Coco to stick around for the on-court interview #usopen

10:25 AM - Sep 1, 2019

See Gillian Tan's other Tweets

Joel Embiid

✔@JoelEmbiid

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/1167956329203290114

All good Coco!!! Keep working hard and come back stronger #TrustTheProcess

10:24 AM - Sep 1, 2019 · Manhattan, NY

503 people are talking about this

jodi gralnick

✔@jodigralnick

https://twitter.com/jodigralnick/status/1167957681811812355

Watching this #USOpen post-game... I’m all-in on team @Naomi_Osaka_ right now. What sn amazing example of sportsmanship and humanity.

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1167957681811812355
10:29 AM - Sep 1, 2019

See jodi gralnick's other Tweets

Kobe Bryant

✔@kobebryant

https://twitter.com/kobebryant/status/1167957982174302210

Great match @CocoGauff and @Naomi_Osaka_ the future of the tennis is in great hands #USOpen

10:30 AM - Sep 1, 2019

1,001 people are talking about this

Reem Abulleil

✔@ReemAbulleil

https://twitter.com/ReemAbulleil/status/1167963949477683201

Tonight's moment between Osaka & Gauff is so iconic & we're gonna remember it for a long time. Osaka gave us a glimpse of what it means to her to witness Gauff's journey, how she relates it to her own, how they are both impacting so many people. It's all connected & lovely to see

10:54 AM - Sep 1, 2019

93 people are talking about this

Osaka will now take on 13th seed Belinda Bencic in the fourth round after Bencic moved through following a retirement from Anett Kontaveit in the third round.

Wahesh

Reaction score
It just doesn't feel like an Australian Summer without the Hopman Cup starting off the campaign. After 31 years they decided to put it to an end. I know it was only an exhibition tournament but it was still fun to watch. I mean it was the only tournament that I can recall that would go through the New Years Eve period and continue into the new year. Well that's done. ATP Cup now. This one is complicated at it's set across 3 cities (including Perth) and 3 different time zones - Sydney, Brisbane, and Perth all have different times.

Oh well.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It just doesn't feel like an Australian Summer without the Hopman Cup starting off the campaign. After 31 years they decided to put it to an end. I know it was only an exhibition tournament but it was still fun to watch. I mean it was the only tournament that I can recall that would go through the New Years Eve period and continue into the new year. Well that's done. ATP Cup now. This one is complicated at it's set across 3 cities (including Perth) and 3 different time zones - Sydney, Brisbane, and Perth all have different times.

Oh well.
The format seems to be unnecessarily confusing

Wahesh

Reaction score
Then don't try to work out the qualifying for the "new" Davis Cup
I gave up on that one a while back. Basically, I think Tennis only works where it's straight-up elimination. There's no point in having 'Groups' or 'Teams' as it becomes complicated. Reverse singles FFS... seriously?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Well I've just found out that due to this ATP cup shit, there is no Sydney International this year.

Wow...

UP YOURS ATP cup!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love watching alex d plays with so much heart

Wahesh

Reaction score
Serbia beats Spain in the ATP Cup final. Wow. If this is a preview of the Australian Open then Novak will walk away with the title over Nadal.

So... with a full week until the Australian Open starts, why could we not have a Sydney International this year???