The target was always 2022

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Understood but you also have to factor in that Hasler did ZERO player development whilst he was with us meaning we had to start again with that as well.
That's right. You need to have the players coming throught and not keep upgrading deals for the top end..if every star or mid range contract got an upgrade you will.be in cap trouble as well seen. You release the position we have cover coming through and extend the positions we need. The cycle.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Develop many young stars than buy the others. We have to buy many and with no TPA we can't compete. Look at the Panthers , roosters, Sharks, storm. Look how many come through the system.
Yes but look at Newcastle for example and also on Roosters/Storm etc they still need to keep their squad together with multiple rock stars.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are people so impressed that the new board got a-
Sponsor and a new coach who as a head coach at the moment is extremely unsuccessful.
This would be achievable for literally anyone in this kind of work.
‘Hi Trent, you’re an assistant coach and have a 29% win rate, would you like the head coaching role at the biggest club in Sydney on big coin’ derrrrrrrrrrr
I’m not impressed.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you hate the board and think they're doing shit, but you would've taken Anderson on from the board to be interim? Fair enough.

Board positives? Think they walked into a shitstorm, and needed time to sort it out. Seems as though we're on the right track now with sponsors, new coach, and hopefully a new coaching support staff.

If things don't improve though in the next year then they're really in trouble as we can't have another year of this!
I used Anderson solely as an example,under 20s coach,whoever,but like u say,it’s time for results,getting rid of the training staff,is a good start,hope they keep going.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Yes but look at Newcastle for example and also on Roosters/Storm etc they still need to keep their squad together with multiple rock stars.
Newcastle have bought many but have been building kids for 3 years . Melb have TPA , I state team with names like Smith or Slater isn't hard to get TPA. They have stars but also alot lower end.. you have to remember player may be great now but may still be on a minimum deal as we're signed 1.or 2 years ago when they just come into grade..Munster wasn't a start purchase, he got upgraded when Slater or another big money player left. It's a rotation. Melb is different to many as they can use 4 players on minimum 100k into that team as a role player but keeping all the experience stars they do the job. When it's upgrade time they let them go and get another 100k player. Works as long as they have Smith Munster Bromwich , all key positions are stars and many roll players. Look at manly now,.looked good with no injurys but players from 21 to 30 are rubbish.

Reactions: GDR

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newcastle have bought many but have been building kids for 3 years . Melb have TPA , I state team with names like Smith or Slater isn't hard to get TPA. They have stars but also alot lower end.. you have to remember player may be great now but may still be on a minimum deal as we're signed 1.or 2 years ago when they just come into grade..Munster wasn't a start purchase, he got upgraded when Slater or another big money player left. It's a rotation. Melb is different to many as they can use 4 players on minimum 100k into that team as a role player but keeping all the experience stars they do the job. When it's upgrade time they let them go and get another 100k player. Works as long as they have Smith Munster Bromwich , all key positions are stars and many roll players. Look at manly now,.looked good with no injurys but players from 21 to 30 are rubbish.

I do hear ya, and I get it but my point is that Munster and Cam Smith alone would be on over a million each.
Why can’t we have at least two absolute fucken guns on a million each?

In all honesty, I can’t think of a player who is worth more than 400k. If you had an elite spine you could have minimum wages around them doing a better job than our current crop or at least as good.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate we missed on signing players in 2019 for 2021 and that's the major point here. Who did we miss out on that you wanted?
And it wasn't only DWZ, how about the guy that left us for Canberra CHN? From what he said it had nothing to do with the board. He said that he "didn't deserve to put the jersey on again". or the Hooker that wasn't played until two weeks ago You mean Katoa who has played 7 games? Yes he should have played earlier, but blame Pay for that. or worse still the best prop in the world suddenly is home sick...I know it's not their fault :grinning: Correct not the board's fault.
As for SBW, Anderson and Hill were hellbent on not wanting him, what has changed Good! I don't want him anywhere near the club either & I bet Peter Vlandys wouldn't have allowed him to play with us at the bargain basement rate either.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I do hear ya, and I get it but my point is that Munster and Cam Smith alone would be on over a million each.
Why can’t we have at least two absolute fucken guns on a million each?

In all honesty, I can’t think of a player who is worth more than 400k. If you had an elite spine you could have minimum wages around them doing a better job than our current crop or at least as good.
Simple answer is they be smarter than our dumb asses.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Team we should have had for 2022

Charlie Staines
Alex Johnston
Nick Cotric
Will Hopoate
Josh Ado-Carr
Matt Burton
Jackson Hastings
Josh Papali
Brandon Smith
Ofahiki Ogden
Tevita Pangai Junior
Adam Elliott
Josh Jackson

Team we'll likely have for 2022

Nick Meaney
DWZ
Nick Cotric
Will Hopoate
Reimis Smith
Matt Burton
Blake Green (extended)
Luke Thompson
Andrew McCullough
Ofahiki Ogden
Joe Stimson
Adam Elliott
Josh Jackson

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why are people so impressed that the new board got a-
Sponsor and a new coach who as a head coach at the moment is extremely unsuccessful.
This would be achievable for literally anyone in this kind of work.
‘Hi Trent, you’re an assistant coach and have a 29% win rate, would you like the head coaching role at the biggest club in Sydney on big coin’ derrrrrrrrrrr
I’m not impressed.
Don't think anyone is impressed? I think I've been positive about them doing this, but it means nothing if we get the spoon again next year. Any 'impressed' attitude I personally get will be based on onfield performance.

What I'm saying about the sponsor and new coach is that these are steps in the right direction. It's started momentum and if it continues then great! But it really depends on the calibre of players they get in before the start of next season. We need a minimal of another 3-4 imo. And decent players.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can tell yourself that if you like but the club is becoming a joke. The previous board brought plenty of success and I’m sure if they had stayed would have found a way to make things work.
To write off another year is disastrous and how many more years of excuses before this board is just ineffective?
The old board neglected our juniors,let Hasler back end deals in the hope of winning a premiership.but it caught up to them.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
You’re kidding right. This board has spruiked terrible signings like Napa, DWZ, Stimson and Britt. That cap space they claim was going to be made available is gone.

They also resigned so many players on huge money.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So we should write off another season even though they had millions in cap space to spend to make the team competitive for next season? Then next year, they'll push back the timeframe again and say 2025 was always the target..

It's not that hard to make your team competitive in one season when you have a tonne of cap space. Look what happened in 2009 when Moore took over. We signed Kimmorley, Hannant, Morris, Ennis, Staggs, Eastwood etc and went from a bottom four team to finishing second in one year.

We play in a comp where half the teams make the finals each year but people keep making it seem like it's unrealistic to expect us to make the top 8 once in five seasons?
Pretty sure we had a quality juniors coming through back in them days. Oh the memories.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look. I actually support the board in what they've been doing, and think we're definitely on the right track though clearly we've got some way to go until we're back where we truly belong as a club.

However, saying that the club never had any intention of being competitive next year is a tad silly. I think I can speak for all on here and say that our expectations are pretty low right now. We're hardly demanding top 4 finishes and a premiership in the next few years. All I personally want is for us to be competitive and showing that we can win games.

Being competitive is the MINIMUM requirement, so I highly doubt that the club is writing off next year already especially with Barrett coming in for his first year. He's not going to work miracles, there's no doubt about that. But at the same time I do think the club will be supporting him in the market as clearly we do have some $$ to spend.

Get people's dislike about the Green signing. If he didn't get injured then I think it would've been OK actually. However, I do expect a lot more new faces coming in and talented new faces for that matter. Let's hope the club can get this done.
We've been saying something similar for three years now, and each new season turns out to be a bigger disappointment than the previous year.
I'm sure we will improve one day, but that day is a very long way off.