The target was always 2022

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The cattle currently at other clubs are not able to be locked in by us for 2022 until after November 2020. Expect big announcements early next year if not before, starting 2022. We are no different to most other Clubs as to who's signed already for 2022 and beyond. The anti poaching rules are the reason most Clubs look to extend major players while still under contract before any other club gets a chance to make an offer.
Yeah I understand but look at that fucking list would you.

No quailty 9, 7 or 1 locked in.

I am waiting to see what happens with Brandon Smith because if he does ask for a release from Melbourne the resulting feeding frenzy by clubs will be like throwing chips to Seagulls.

And if he does sign with us how much we have to pay to beat off other clubs.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
We won't come near to solving our problems in 2021.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The roster was massively out of balance. You need to have 2 vets , 3 or 4 players at their peak, and 5 or so juniors in your 17. The rest get made of solid 1st graders. We have had to many vets , no juniors and definitely no one at their peak. Do this for 3 to 4 years and we are here now. We can't buy our way out of this, juniors and development is needed, can't buy stars have to recruit young potential, We have to develop and make them want to stay.
If the way Avo has been managed is part of the answer....then forget it :(

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So we should write off another season even though they had millions in cap space to spend to make the team competitive for next season? Then next year, they'll push back the timeframe again and say 2025 was always the target..

It's not that hard to make your team competitive in one season when you have a tonne of cap space. Look what happened in 2009 when Moore took over. We signed Kimmorley, Hannant, Morris, Ennis, Staggs, Eastwood etc and went from a bottom four team to finishing second in one year.

We play in a comp where half the teams make the finals each year but people keep making it seem like it's unrealistic to expect us to make the top 8 once in five seasons?
Personally I don't think it's too much to ask to make the top 8 next year. And I find the talk of writing off next year as absurb personally.

At this stage, with a new coach I'm willing to wait to see how our signings pan out for 2021 as I think we've done OK atm though we desperately need another 4-5 top players to be at the competitive level we need. Hooker. Prop. Backrower. Half. Back. We need to strengthen in all those areas ONTOP of what we've done already.

It's possible. Time will only tell if we make the right choices but can understand peoples' apprehension considering how underwhelming our recent purchases have been ...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Personally I don't think it's too much to ask to make the top 8 next year. And I find the talk of writing off next year as absurb personally.

At this stage, with a new coach I'm willing to wait to see how our signings pan out for 2021 as I think we've done OK atm though we desperately need another 4-5 top players to be at the competitive level we need. Hooker. Prop. Backrower. Half. Back. We need to strengthen in all those areas ONTOP of what we've done already.

It's possible. Time will only tell if we make the right choices but can understand peoples' apprehension considering how underwhelming our recent purchases have been ...
Exactly. The last four seasons we've finished 11th, 12th, 12th and now 16th. Somehow we're getting worse after all of this time. To not make the 8 next season is unacceptable after three years of supposed rebuilding by the current regime.

Especially when bad teams like Cronulla, Manly and the Tigers are still in the race to make the 8 this season. It's not asking much when half the teams make the finals.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahaha are you joking or serious. When the board got elected there was 4 players signed for 2021. That is a fact. They had 2 years to plan for 2021. Now people think it's 2022. Give me a break. These morons waited until July before choosing a coach for 2021. Since there arrival done nothing besides resign the entire wooden spoon team for 2021. There will no 2022 for them. There gone at the next elections.
When the board first came in, they told us that we’ll be competitive by 2021.

However, the re-signings last year were all 2 year deals, which finish at the end of 2021. We only have 8 players signed after 2021:

- Elliott
- RFM
- Jackson
- Stimson
- Thompson
- Wakeham
- DWZ
- Cotric

Combined with the sacking of Pay, the board never had any intention of us being competitive next year, but rather bringing a new coach in 2021 to build a team for 2022.

It seems Barrett recognises this, and thus the 1 year signing of Green as experience in the halves, possibly to train our long-term half.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with any decision, but just stating why some decisions are being made.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Hahahaha are you joking or serious. When the board got elected there was 4 players signed for 2021. That is a fact. They had 2 years to plan for 2021. Now people think it's 2022. Give me a break. These morons waited until July before choosing a coach for 2021. Since there arrival done nothing besides resign the entire wooden spoon team for 2021. There will no 2022 for them. There gone at the next elections.
Except that the work for 2022 will already be done by the time that election happens :-).

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no way a well run club would allow for a rebuild to take this length of time. People will make excuses like the roosters have an unlimited cap etc. but I do think the club is not being run by professionals.

Now we're talking about 2022, will we be talking about 2023 mid way through next year. For those following the club for a long time it's just not what we're used to seeing.

I don't think just because people have a certain surname or used to play for the club that they make the best people for running an administration.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% correct

However, the re-signings last year were all 2 year deals, which finish at the end of 2021. We only have 8 players signed after 2021:

- Elliott
- RFM
- Jackson
- Stimson
- Thompson
- Wakeham
- DWZ
- Cotric

Combined with the sacking of Pay, the board never had any intention of us being competitive next year, but rather bringing a new coach in 2021 to build a team for 2022.

It seems Barrett recognises this, and thus the 1 year signing of Green as experience in the halves, possibly to train our long-term half.

I’m not saying I agree or disagree with any decision, but just stating why some decisions are being made.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2021 is still going to be covid19 affected & we will still be a basket case, perhaps not as bad as the past few years anyway.
2022 will be our first attempt at being 'a force' again...sounds a long long way away doesn't it...

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
but how is the board going to make amends when they are not going to be there 2022 ?

3 years in charge and this the best strategy they come up with?

this is embarrassing
Or they used it as an excuse

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish I could fill in the blanks here with player names however under normal circumstance 3 top line signings and 1-2 NRL quality juniors would make us significantly more competitive and move us up the ladder.

With our current squad we need 6 top line signings and at least 3 or 4 NRL quality juniors to be competitive with in that 3-6 position (2022)

If we can add 2 more players to the Cotric signing (not including Green) and one is a class spine player (preferably hooker) we should be in a position to be fringe 8 next year.

But nothing is certain due to a lot of factors including injuries. The real x-factor for us is if we can tap into the potential of a few of the players we currently have in the club. If Barratt and his coaching team can do this then next year should see us in the semi-finals.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

- Elliott
- RFM
- Jackson
- Stimson
- Thompson
- Wakeham
- DWZ
- Cotric

If that’s the case the case they should be put against a wall and shot instead of being ousted.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The roster was massively out of balance. You need to have 2 vets , 3 or 4 players at their peak, and 5 or so juniors in your 17. The rest get made of solid 1st graders. We have had to many vets , no juniors and definitely no one at their peak. Do this for 3 to 4 years and we are here now. We can't buy our way out of this, juniors and development is needed, can't buy stars have to recruit young potential, We have to develop and make them want to stay.
I don’t get why people keep saying stuff like this. Everyone has the same salary cap to spend, you have to spend it. You either buy stars and get a well balanced roster or just pay rookies and shot players rockstar money. Personally, I’d rather buy stars.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This board isn’t smart enough to see that far ahead. They have failed in a lot of ways but I’m willing to give them one last shot. If they don’t have a handful of signings in the offseason and we head into next year with Cotric as our only great signing then they need to Fuk off

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We'll see a few more names added to the list of new faces at our club for 21. I'm certain of that. So it's difficult to judge where we'll be in quality terms. It's not like there's a lot of quality on the market this year. I can understand that fans are impatient. But we're not going to be able to announce a signing a week like some expect.

I'm at least as sick of hearing the naysayers throw crap at the board as the naysayers are sick of the board.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

- Elliott
- RFM
- Jackson
- Stimson
- Thompson
- Wakeham
- DWZ
- Cotric

I honestly hope I am wrong !
To me the people in charge are incompetent, making mistake after mistake !
1st mistake.....Extending Pay's contract
2nd mistake....Failed to sign the right talents at the end of 2019 for 2021 season promised rebuild
3rd mistake.....out of desperation they have signed players on overs in the wrong positions when we should be spending it on the spine !!!
4th mistake Is yet to happen...
They intend to sign SBW as a publicity stunt and to attract the members back in the hope of saving their own back sides !!!
The circus keeps rolling on !!!

Last edited: