News The Tackle: Time for Cameron Ciraldo and Bulldogs to make tough call on Kyle Flanagan

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with you mate, but we can’t leave flange where he is it will be detrimental to the rest of the side in the long run, he’s mentally gone we can’t keep running on every weekend with 12 committed players and one passenger. It’s not a tenable situation for team dynamics. CC is going to have to make a call .
Ben Barba got rushed into a side that was an absolute cluster fuck and he went on to become dally m... if you got it..you got it

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Who said he was bought to play this year? Literally no one said that? Even if he is playing this year that doesn't mean he HAS to play round 5 when he isn't ready. Gus actually said Rajab would debut this year and like you said he isn't in the 30 btw. Averillo should be playing reserve grade? Lol sure.
@Nasheed > Averillo

Rajab and KO in the halves

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I think a blind dog could do a similar job to Flanno your just saying Grub is worse then a blind dog.
Mate - he got dumped by Hull FC who came 9/12 for not being good enough.

He's there for club attitude - not for any footballing reason. If you think someone who got dumped from the Tigs and then a bottom ranked super league club is the answer - again - you're asking the wrong question.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree with you mate, but we can’t leave flange where he is it will be detrimental to the rest of the side in the long run, he’s mentally gone we can’t keep running on every weekend with 12 committed players and one passenger. It’s not a tenable situation for team dynamics. CC is going to have to make a call .
We can and we're going to have to until someone else is ready. What really needs to happen is for Burton to put his big boy pants on and start fucking delivering. He's getting paid the big $$$ and he can't even kick or run the ball, two things he's meant to be good at. At this stage our two centres are creating most of our points along with Mahoney.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alexander said exactly what I was thinking. Flanagan actually passed a lot quicker today but he's just no threat himself. No step, no pace. Look at the solo try Oloapu scored in Reggies today. Look at the try Reynolds set up today and the breaks he made in Reggies. He makes breaks because he's very unorthodox so defender don't know how to handle him. Oloapu and Reynolds both offer so much more than Flanagan. Perham is no threat either. He can't make a linebreak and doesn't have a passing game. Burton doesn't have a passing game either to make good use of Kikau. We're at such a disadvantage with 2 bog average players in our spine who would be fill-ins at best in any other team plus a 5/8 whose only game is his running game but we don't make use of that either because he's preoccupied trying to create shit for others. Brown will be out for a while. Why the f..k is Okunbor 14 ? I'd bring in Reynolds at 7 with Oloapu at 14 to ease him in and replace Perham with Kiraz at fullback and bring in Skelton on the wing or even Papalii at fullback. The sooner the better. Ciraldo needs to bite the bullet. Flanagan isn't a protected species. He's gonna be replaced soon anyway. The sooner the better.

The other thing we're lacking is a big metre eating prop who also stings in defence. We need NAS or Royce Hunt plus a cheap big body back up

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We can and we're going to have to until someone else is ready. What really needs to happen is for Burton to put his big boy pants on and start fucking delivering. He's getting paid the big $$$ and he can't even kick or run the ball, two things he's meant to be good at. At this stage our two centres are creating most of our points along with Mahoney.
Ok Marly. peace :tonguewink:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Most on here agree that Flanagun and Averillo are our dumb and dummers.
The only players worth considering are Oloapu and Hoffman.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, and if Jmk was still our DH I would agree with you 100% but I think if we are grooming him to be a halfback it would help not hinder his progression to spend at least some of the season playing beside reed and burton developing combinations and learning some game management . It might be an old school way of thinking but if you are good enough you are old enough and from what I have seen of the kid he’s good enough and he will learn the rest. It does the club absolutely no good to keep perceiving with a half back that has little talent and even less mental fortitude IMO
You need to remember how impatient & fickle people on TK are also. They will hammer him on here if he isn’t a superstar from the get go. Some young players hit the ground running. Others take time to adjust to NRL level.

Maybe he is worth the risk as Flanagan definitely isn’t the answer.

When he misses tackles and makes the wrong options how much tolerance do you think he will get from the media and our fan base? He will cop a hammering on here. That is a given.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

He's there for club attitude - not for any footballing reason. If you think someone who got dumped from the Tigs and then a bottom ranked super league club is the answer - again - you're asking the wrong question.
I don’t believe Flanno would get the chance to be dumped by a super league team.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not fake news. I've seen our reserves play all but 1 game and we're infinitely worse with him in the team. He is shit and creates more problems than he solves, awful decision to give him a top 30 spot.
I believe Reynolds in nsw cup is hindering oloapu's opportunities to be dominant or at least develop as a dominant half.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You need to remember how impatient & fickle people on TK are also. They will hammer him on here if he isn’t a superstar from the get go. Some young players hit the ground running. Others take time to adjust to NRL level.

Maybe he is worth the risk as Flanagan definitely isn’t the answer.

When he misses tackles and makes the wrong options how much tolerance do you think he will get from the media and our fan base? He will cop a hammering on here. That is a given.
Yeah I do understand that, and if he was brought in he would have to be given a “free pass” from a club perspective and Gus would make sure that happened. No doubt he would get panned on here but that happens to every player we have regardless of how well they play or when the come into grade. Don’t get me wrong it’s a huge ask of a young player, but you never know if you have a diamond until after the pressure is applied.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we had Ben Hunt i have no doubt we would be pushing around 5th or 6th position.
Even if we had Brayden Trindall we would be around 8th.
Flanno is deadset is awful.
It honestly looks like he is completely lost on the part. Like he has no purpose and does not know what to do.
An absolute passenger.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Could just as easily be the coach/structure/set-up...whatever.

You could level a similar criticism at Api & the Tigers - I don't think the problem is Api.

Regardless, Reynolds could do a job for us.
1. He is better than Flanagan. I have been willing to give Flanno a go and hope he can improve (clean slate 'n' all), offer something, not be crap; but he is stifling whatever limited attack we've been able to muster - we can't do it anymore.

2. I don't think KO is quite ready yet. Probably will be soon-ish, but still probably 4-10 matches away (maybe more) from being viable.
You could chuck him in the deep-end early and hope (and maybe the gamble will come off), but there is a real risk of doing more harm than good.

3. The role is temporary. It is just enough to cover the gap until another half is ready to go.

I think eventually, we are going to have to mould Burton into a 7 (Nico Hynes style), even if he is unconventional/not as instinctive.
He already has the long and short kicking game.
His limitation (area for improvement) is passing/set-up while in attack.
We could (eventually) cover that by incorporating a running 5/8th (most likely Oloapu but possibly rajab), when they're ready.

Allan139

Waterboy
Reaction score
Lol at the people saying put avo in the halves! He can barely make his tackles as it is, Flanno has no offence but at least he can make try saving tackles and does short grab.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I sad last week it wouldn’t be long till flanagan was dropped. Oloapu has been on extended bench for a few weeks now. He will at least be another running threat and has some nice skill. Home against cowboys next week. It’s a good opportunity to blood him at least off the bench

Reactions: 88