The Sutton Brothers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I'm surprised this story hasn't had more reporting so far this year.

For some background:

Bernard Sutton: NRL Boss of Referees
Gerard Sutton: NRL Referee
Chris Sutton: NRL Referee.

Ray Hadley this morning questioned the appointment of Gerard Sutton to the origin match next week (ahead of Matt Cecchin) who many would pick as the #1 ref in the game.

The other brother (Chris) has been appointed as lead referee for Parra v Newcastle (further relegating Matt Cecchin as assistant referee for this club match).

Now...

Can I ask why no news media or NRL commentators have ever raised the question of conflicts of interest and lack of independence when it comes to Gerard Sutton's and Chris Sutton's performance? How can the NRL allow family members to be in charge of other family members, especially for such an important job as boss of referees.

Does anyone know if Gerard Sutton has ever been reprimanded for a bad decision or been demoted to assistant referee or ever dropped from a round?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The media simply doesn't have the time to report on such insignificant issues like this, they are way too busy reporting on the BIG ISSUES in todays game. Here's just a quick example..

While many of his team mates are in serious relationships, young Origin newbie Nathan Cleary is understood to be living the single life. But in reality, women have proclaimed their romantic interests for the hunky footy player. https://t.co/7nNowTXOxz

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The media simply doesn't have the time to report on such insignificant issues like this, they are way too busy reporting on the BIG ISSUES in todays game. Here's just a quick example..

While many of his team mates are in serious relationships, young Origin newbie Nathan Cleary is understood to be living the single life. But in reality, women have proclaimed their romantic interests for the hunky footy player. https://t.co/7nNowTXOxz
If you want a preview of him later in life, just look at his dad.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm surprised this story hasn't had more reporting so far this year.

For some background:

Bernard Sutton: NRL Boss of Referees
Gerard Sutton: NRL Referee
Chris Sutton: NRL Referee.

Ray Hadley this morning questioned the appointment of Gerard Sutton to the origin match next week (ahead of Matt Cecchin) who many would pick as the #1 ref in the game.

The other brother (Chris) has been appointed as lead referee for Parra v Newcastle (further relegating Matt Cecchin as assistant referee for this club match).

Now...

Can I ask why no news media or NRL commentators have ever raised the question of conflicts of interest and lack of independence when it comes to Gerard Sutton's and Chris Sutton's performance? How can the NRL allow family members to be in charge of other family members, especially for such an important job as boss of referees.

Does anyone know if Gerard Sutton has ever been reprimanded for a bad decision or been demoted to assistant referee or ever dropped from a round?
Not for a bad decision exactly but for sin binning two players in 2010. Don't worry about some of the recent howlers but he has had an 'exemplary' record since.....

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2898

Robert Finch sacks Ben Cummins and Gerard Sutton for NRL round seven

* April 20, 2010 3:08PM

NRL referees boss Robert Finch has today sacked two referees for incompetent displays in the round six clash between Parramatta and Souths.

Referees Ben Cummins and Gerard Sutton have been dropped to the lower grades after their disgraceful decisions to sin-bin Parramatta captain Nathan Cayless and Souths centre Beau Champion.

The Daily Telegraph's Sport Editor-at-large Phil Rothfield described the decision as a victory for commonsense.

"This is a a great win for The Daily Telegraph and our readers who all drove the message hard yesterday that they were no longer prepared to tolerate sub-standard refereeing," Rothfield said.

Despite making the correct call to axe the whistleblowers, referees boss Finch was still standing by his edict to sin-bin players for repeated indiscretions.

In a statement released by the NRL at 2.45pm, Finch said: "Referees will continue to crack down on teams that continually breach the rules but it is clearly unacceptable for the wrong player to be sent to the sin-bin.

"Referees are accountable for their performances and between the two of them this error should not have occurred.

"It is now up to both Ben and Gerard to work their way back into the top grade, which I am sure they will do.”

The NRL statement continued: "Finch today also announced that the referees’ interpretation of the advantage rule would revert back to the discretion of the referees and that, from Round 7, the 10-metre territorial gain for the advantage rule will no longer apply.

"The 10-metre ruling was designed to get more consistency from all referees, which is what every club, player and fan wants, but it has become apparent that the advantage rule interpretation should be left to the discretion of the referees and that is what will occur from this week."

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Well i guess we can mark the Suncorp leg of the series as a loss for nsw now.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not since his bro took over as his boss, the slimy weasel even backed his disgraceful Isaako "knock back" call that has been called forward in every instance since. I never expect to see a ref have a perfect game, but I also never expect that we'll get a fair run with a Sutton as an official, there is some serious bias there - the stats show it, the calls show it, even the commentators were calling it out, but nothing will change.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about it, it's good Sutton is in charge of SOO because it will expose him and his brothers in front of millions of people the questionable refereeing performances when officiating footy games.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thinking about it, it's good Sutton is in charge of SOO because it will expose him and his brothers in front of millions of people the questionable refereeing performances when officiating footy games.
I was just thinking along those lines. I think it's good as it will likely cause.some unrest amongst referee ranks and some of them will hopefully come out and expose the whole scam.... now that would be a grand event to watch...

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ray you just said a mouthful these were the same questions we as fans were asking after our team got shafted and fined by the Sutton's and the NRL, during and after the Broncos match at Suncorp earlier this season. Ray I know that your a proud New South Welshman as am I but I'm also a proud Bulldogs Fan who watches his team get shafted regularly by these so called officials (Sutton x 3 and the boys) playing in the most corrupt game of all the NRL. Why all of a sudden is the conflicts of interest a major issue??? Because it's NSW that maybe on the wrong end of a biased prick like Sutton backed up by his brother and stooge but when we fans in club-land cry foul everything is hunky dory and our clubs are left without a voice and empty pockets. Ray push your agenda based towards there being a conflict of interest but don't just do it for the Blues do it also for the clubs that have no voice and for the great game of rugby league that is dying a slow death due to corruption in high places.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

Ray you just said a mouthful these were the same questions we as fans were asking after our team got shafted and fined by the Sutton's and the NRL, during and after the Broncos match at Suncorp earlier this season. Ray I know that your a proud New South Welshman as am I but I'm also a proud Bulldogs Fan who watches his team get shafted regularly by these so called officials (Sutton x 3 and the boys) playing in the most corrupt game of all the NRL. Why all of a sudden is the conflicts of interest a major issue??? Because it's NSW that maybe on the wrong end of a biased prick like Sutton backed up by his brother and stooge but when we fans in club-land cry foul everything is hunky dory and our clubs are left without a voice and empty pockets. Ray push your agenda based towards there being a conflict of interest but don't just do it for the Blues do it also for the clubs that have no voice and for the great game of rugby league that is dying a slow death due to corruption in high places.
lol I'm not Ray Hadley.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The Sutton ***** rashes are employed by the TAB to ensure results, I mean decisions, end up their way to maximise profits and/or minimise losses.

Honestly, ICAC should get involved.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guarantee nsw will get the calls going their way this origin. If qld ain’t again then the games not as enjoyable from a fan viewer perspective. But if nsw wins it makes for a good next year viewing more $ to see qld try win it back/nsw defend its shield. The nrl is so currupt it baffles me some of the calls we see, bet your bottom dollar that on the games that are close and go either way surely a refs friend or family can get on a team he favours.. anyway I just know the refs will spoil a good game. EspeciAlly the weasel sutton

Status
Not open for further replies.