The standard of the comp

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are just half way through the season and ALREADY there are a number teams who are a write off for trying to make the 8.
Dogs, Tigers, Titans, Dragons, Warriors, Knights are not getting anywhere near the 8. There seasons are OVER.
There are literally only 2 teams who are vying for that 8th spot, even this far out.
I do not remember it being like this.
So many bad teams.
I honestly do not think it is a lack of playing talent to an extent.
First and foremost there are not anywhere near enough good coaches. All these bottom teams also seem to have really bad structures in place.
Lack of quality EXPERIENCED halves.
I would honestly cut the number of teams to around 12 and have a top 5. The standard would lift so much.
The NRL have no idea what it is getting itself into next season.
They can only see dollar signs with the Dolphins. This team will get flogged almost every weekend, even with Bennett.
The new rule changes absolutely f##cked this sport.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The nrl will lose money for years with the 17th team imo. People up here already have a team like Broncos or Titans, so I don't see them switching or a big fan base. And it will dilute the already stretched talent pool. It's a fail idea imo.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The nrl will lose money for years with the 17th team imo. People up here already have a team like Broncos or Titans, so I don't see them switching or a big fan base. And it will dilute the already stretched talent pool. It's a fail idea imo.
True and if they are hoping to grab the next generation of fans they need to be successful off the bat.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Every year gets worse.

The nrlol have ruined league.
Is the NRL preparing the ground to kick a club or a couple of clubs out? It is not that long ago they were arguing - in court no less - that a 16 team competition was too big to be sustainable and that it should be reduced to 14 or even 12 teams. Now we are about to have 17 teams. If it were 18 it would be a reversal of their previous stance but it would make some sense - but 17!

I am torn between thinking (a) the NRL administration are morons, it's just business as usual, and (b) even the NRL aren't that stupid, they are up to something!

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seeing as the game is going nowhere there is one sure fire way to get people interested in the NRL at a rate that has never seen before.

Bring back the biff and shoulder charge. Bang audience numbers will quadruple.

Never happen tho as everyone is too soft.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Seeing as the game is going nowhere there is one sure fire way to get people interested in the NRL at a rate that has never seen before.

Bring back the biff and shoulder charge. Bang audience numbers will quadruple.

Never happen tho as everyone is too soft.
2 of the best parts of league down the drain...

Origin is just another shitty game without the biff and strong hits.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Every year gets worse.

The nrlol have ruined league.
Is it any wonder why Thompson has been a failure so far. The Super League comp is actually Rugby League. The NRLOL isn't.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You say that you don't think it's a lack of talent then in same paragraph say there is no quality halves?

There is your answer. Lack of talent equals not enough quality players across every position, in particular, spine players.

Talent is one, and same goes for coaches as you mentioned. Only way to fix this, is to have an actual reserve grade where players are paid a liveable wage and can purely focus on footy and their development. Stronger that becomes will automatically reflect in the NRL.

How is fair that multiple teams don't have a first grade standard hooker, yet Melbourne have two?

Dolphins are a joke as goes adding another team wherever they are.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really think the reason of the decline in viewers and lack of talent is the amount of Pacific Islander players. Alot of Aussie kids get turned off league by this at a young age. In saying that most of the best halves are Aussie, Used to see more Europeans playing also.
Matthew Johns mentioned this years ago and was muzzled immediately for saying it. Stop them coming here and give them another NZ team to play for.
Alot of junior rep teams are picked on size and not talent. Panthers, Eels and Bulldogs are the worst offenders. This problem will kill the NRL eventually in years to come.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are just half way through the season and ALREADY there are a number teams who are a write off for trying to make the 8.
Dogs, Tigers, Titans, Dragons, Warriors, Knights are not getting anywhere near the 8. There seasons are OVER.
There are literally only 2 teams who are vying for that 8th spot, even this far out.
I do not remember it being like this.
So many bad teams.
I honestly do not think it is a lack of playing talent to an extent.
First and foremost there are not anywhere near enough good coaches. All these bottom teams also seem to have really bad structures in place.
Lack of quality EXPERIENCED halves.
I would honestly cut the number of teams to around 12 and have a top 5. The standard would lift so much.
The NRL have no idea what it is getting itself into next season.
They can only see dollar signs with the Dolphins. This team will get flogged almost every weekend, even with Bennett.
The new rule changes absolutely f##cked this sport.
Fix the sline and see the results improve..

Bad defence is a given but all the teams u mentioned Dogs, Tigers, Titans, Dragons, Warriors, Knights struggle to score points..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really think the reason of the decline in viewers and lack of talent is the amount of Pacific Islander players. Alot of Aussie kids get turned off league by this at a young age. In saying that most of the best halves are Aussie, Used to see more Europeans playing also.
Matthew Johns mentioned this years ago and was muzzled immediately for saying it. Stop them coming here and give them another NZ team to play for.
Alot of junior rep teams are picked on size and not talent. Panthers, Eels and Bulldogs are the worst offenders. This problem will kill the NRL eventually in years to come.
Agree to a big extent. Size is king in the modern game. But like others have alluded to, if you don't make it into the NRL early in your career, there's little incentive to stick with the game. The NRL itself tried to increase their profit margins by creating a simple step from NYC to the NRL. In the process the players that might have stepped up after developing the physical attributes to be able to compete against the monsters that are standard in the game now (rarely a player smaller than 100kgs) a lot of the guys that relied on skill rather than brute force lost their pathways.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When it was announced that the Dolphins were coming in, I thought it was an odd decision on a number of fronts - not least the damage it could do to the Broncos, who will no longer have the huge advantage of being the only game in town.

Why would the NRL care if the Broncos are disadvantaged, you ask? Because they are the NRL's fair haired boys, I respond. Refereeing, the Judiciary, representative selection, on free-to-air television almost every week, even when they are at the bottom of the table. And the biggest one of all - magic round! What is magical is that the other clubs stand for the Broncos being awarded a giant advertising and marketing bonanza every year and do nothing about it, Magic round was dreamed up by the Poms, who take an entire round to a venue that isn't host to a super league team. This year the venue is St James Park, Newcastle. If the NRL were really interested in promoting the game, rather than just giving Brisbane a leg up, they would hold magic round somewhere like Adelaide Oval.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Start with this new threshold for sending players off. It used to be for wreckless or intentational acts of violence. Now, a legs tackle goes a little wrong, and rather 10 in the bin, and give the offending team a fighting chance, let's call off the contest... And for what .. isn't the send off meant to discourage wreckless spear tackles. Every one I've seen, there's been nothing wreckless about it. Just legs tackles with another player unknowingly counter rotating the attacking player... Who is trying to keep his arms free, stay upright.... Not their fault of course, just shitty circumstances of everyone trying to make the most of the situation...

I can't understand it...I don't know how tv can accept it too. Everyone is a fucking cuck now. They ruin the contest... Everyone should really switch off at that point. And really never switch back on again

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There are a lot of people in Brisbane who hate the Donkeys, a lot of bridges have been burnt up there over the years. The titans are on the Gold Coast, not an issue for Brisbane.

Always a Bulldog