Opinion The sin bin!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There really needs to be a comokete overhaul of this system. Its become a farce! Its the same punishment for a whole range of different indiscretions, regardless of their impact on the apposing team.
For example, you have a player committing a professional foul, who may slightly run a player off the ball. 10 mins in the bin. A player may accidently put a player in a dangerous position. 10 mins in the bin. A head high tackle, 10 mins in the bin. Or you can punch a guy in the back of the head while he is on the ground with multiple defenders on top of him! 10 mins in the bin.
The NRLol really need to revisit the 5 min sin bin option again. Last week penrif scored 2 tries while DWZ was off the park. I will cop that though, because penrif lost their halfback for the rest of the game, and the following week. But in the same round, Feldt was gone for 10, but the tackled player stood up straight afterwards.
I understand the refs cant put the player to trial on the spot, but there must be a way that the punishment can better fit the crime. Surely?

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Should it be monitored similar to Soccer or NBA where after X amount of infringements, the last person to offend gets an automatic 5 min sin bin? Surely a player off the field for 5 mins has more impact than multiple set restarts?

Or is that too hard to police correctly?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Should it be monitored similar to Soccer or NBA where after X amount of infringements, the last person to offend gets an automatic 5 min sin bin? Surely a player off the field for 5 mins has more impact than multiple set restarts?

Soundspretty good to me. Obviously there is going to be difficulties implementing it, but there needs to be some type of reform. I mean, they are changing every other rule already, why is this rule exempt? Sin binning for 5 mins wouldnt decide a game, but 10 mins can. Especially if the team with 13 players gets multiple 6 agains.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If that was the rule, we’d have half our team off every time Cummins officiates us.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All we want is consistency but we are talking about the NRLol. They wouldn't know consistency if it sat on their head & farted on them.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There really needs to be a comokete overhaul of this system. Its become a farce! Its the same punishment for a whole range of different indiscretions, regardless of their impact on the apposing team.
For example, you have a player committing a professional foul, who may slightly run a player off the ball. 10 mins in the bin. A player may accidently put a player in a dangerous position. 10 mins in the bin. A head high tackle, 10 mins in the bin. Or you can punch a guy in the back of the head while he is on the ground with multiple defenders on top of him! 10 mins in the bin.
The NRLol really need to revisit the 5 min sin bin option again. Last week penrif scored 2 tries while DWZ was off the park. I will cop that though, because penrif lost their halfback for the rest of the game, and the following week. But in the same round, Feldt was gone for 10, but the tackled player stood up straight afterwards.
I understand the refs cant put the player to trial on the spot, but there must be a way that the punishment can better fit the crime. Surely?
For me the inconsistency of 6 agains between games is far worse and has a way bigger bearing on the game.. but yeah the bin is a farce..

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score

I like your profile pic

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For me the inconsistency of 6 agains between games is far worse and has a way bigger bearing on the game.. but yeah the bin is a farce..
Yeah absolutely. Its shocking.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing - that punch to the back of the head had send off written all over it and a 16 week match ban.