The sad state of affairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
No you're not going mental lol, before nursing I was a programmer at Qantas but when I got retrenched in 2005 I did an enrolled nursing course and now work in a hospital.
That is a huge change, which profession do you prefer now that you have done both? I am a c++ programmer and work for myself mostly as contractor for indie games development, i really enjoy it because i am a bona fide geek :laughing:

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is a huge change, which profession do you prefer now that you have done both? I am a c++ programmer and work for myself mostly as contractor for indie games development, i really enjoy it because i am a bona fide geek :laughing:
Very different isn't it ? lol. Your job sounds really exciting. Development work is so satisfying I would never have guessed lol.
My programming work was mainly in the field of automation so I was mainly using 4G languages to flag and automate repetetive messages on several mini systems . I never actually used COBOL for anything but learnt c+ at uni which was useful when working with the Unix systems
Hands down working for Qantas was my work highlight , travel, benefits, respect but programming v nursing is like a limosine ride v boot camp.

Both satisfying in different ways and both have disadvantages As a programmer the worst part was trying to debunk the token female card. Worked with 90% of males who were either very supportive or very dismissive.

As a nurse you are treated like a servant by some but with the utmost appreciation by others.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Very different isn't it ? lol. Your job sounds really exciting. Development work is so satisfying I would never have guessed lol.
My programming work was mainly in the field of automation so I was mainly using 4G languages to flag and automate repetetive messages on several mini systems . I never actually used COBOL for anything but learnt c+ at uni which was useful when working with the Unix systems
Hands down working for Qantas was my work highlight , travel, benefits, respect but programming v nursing is like a limosine ride v boot camp.

Both satisfying in different ways and both have disadvantages As a programmer the worst part was trying to debunk the token female card. Worked with 90% of males who were either very supportive or very dismissive.

As a nurse you are treated like a servant by some but with the utmost appreciation by others.
Yeah a lot of guys forget one of the leading trial blazers in the field of software engineering was a women, funny enough it was that women who coined the term 'software engineering' lol. The same women also played a decent part in 'man' landing on the moon, she was the director of Apollo Flight Computer Programming at MIT.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of guys forget one of the leading trial blazers in the field of software engineering was a women, funny enough it was that women who coined the term 'software engineering' lol. The same women also played a decent part in 'man' landing on the moon, she was the director of Apollo Flight Computer Programming at MIT.
Did you see Hidden Figures? I know there was a lot of dramatic licence in the film, but it was still a really interesting story.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Did you see Hidden Figures? I know there was a lot of dramatic licence in the film, but it was still a really interesting story.
No i haven't, just looking it up now, it does look an interesting story.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

With my battle the last 6 years, I put nurses higher on my list than doctors, professors and other bullshit titles.

Nurses are the ones that keep me alive and comfortable, nurses brought me back to life 12 times. Nurse put up with fuckwits abuse. I treat them like royalty.

I would always stock snacks and treats ONLY for nurses to have, not even my visitors could touch them.

I used to pretend I needed help so I'd call a nurse, close the door, and make her sit down for 5-10 mins for a break.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't know that! That is profound I don't think many people would expect a woman to have had such an important role back then .

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't know that! That is profound I don't think many people would expect a woman to have had such an important role back then .
Her name is Margaret Hamilton, no doubt heaps of stuff out there about her if you fire up a good ol' google search. Remarkable women.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With my battle the last 6 years, I put nurses higher on my list than doctors, professors and other bullshit titles.

Nurses are the ones that keep me alive and comfortable, nurses brought me back to life 12 times. Nurse put up with fuckwits abuse. I treat them like royalty.

I would always stock snacks and treats ONLY for nurses to have, not even my visitors could touch them.

I used to pretend I needed help so I'd call a nurse, close the door, and make her sit down for 5-10 mins for a break.
what a sweetheart you are, no wonder they took a break with you
Usually depending on the time of day there's not enough time to scratch yourself .

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Her name is Margaret Hamilton, no doubt heaps of stuff out there about her if you fire up a good ol' google search. Remarkable women.
I've never heard of her, you'd think she'd be mentioned more often in some capacity considering her gender and role in the moon landing

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
what a sweetheart you are, no wonder they took a break with you
Usually depending on the time of day there's not enough time to scratch yourself .
I was and am grateful to nurses, they deal with blood, sweat, tears and shit. Least I could do is try to make their shifts a touch easier.

I hook myself up to the heart monitor after showers and moving between areas, removed my own canulas (lol), got my own towels and gowns. I even change my own bed sheets and empty my piss bottle lol

Plus I've been told I'm a good listener lol

PS the overnight nurses were my favourite. Obviously less hectic so they had more time to hang out and have a chat and relax until the next code blue.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was and am grateful to nurses, they deal with blood, sweat, tears and shit. Least I could do is try to make their shifts a touch easier.

I hook myself up to the heart monitor after showers and moving between areas, removed my own canulas (lol), got my own towels and gowns. I even change my own bed sheets and empty my piss bottle lol

Plus I've been told I'm a good listener lol

PS the overnight nurses were my favourite. Obviously less hectic so they had more time to hang out and have a chat and relax until the next code blue.
Respect. I bet they don't mind looking after you at all.. These days nurses are expected to do so much more than just change bed sheets etc. We are accountable for every minute a patient is left in our care therefore it's important that stats and vitals are taken per protocol. Some patients not deemed critical or needing one on one care , can at times ,deteriorate between checks so you really have to gauge a patient by instinct too!

I agree nurses are the real Hero's , not saying I am ,my role is limited as an EN but the RNs are amazing they know almost as much as the doctors even more sometimes tbh.
Let's say doctors can learn a thing or 2 from nurses especially in the 'taking bloods' department

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Respect. I bet they don't mind looking after you at all.. These days nurses are expected to do so much more than just change bed sheets etc. We are accountable for every minute a patient is left in our care therefore it's important that stats and vitals are taken per protocol. Some patients not deemed critical or needing one on one care , can at times ,deteriorate between checks so you really have to gauge a patient by instinct too!

I agree nurses are the real Hero's , not saying I am ,my role is limited as an EN but the RNs are amazing they know almost as much as the doctors even more sometimes tbh.
Let's say doctors can learn a thing or 2 from nurses especially in the 'taking bloods' department
Funny you mention bloods, I always refuse a doctor taking bloods and ask for a nurse, longest I have had a doctor try, and repeatedly fail, was 47 mins. True story.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
R

Hey my man..well I’ve had my time with nurses too..I’ve had the worst and I’ve had the best.. With me I am completely dependent on them..can’t do anything at all..from eating my food to pulling up my blanket at night to keep warm..to being put on a commode and showered..entirely at their mercy.. And I’ve got to say the quality and care of nurses..in my case North Shore Hospital..has improved out of sight! When I first had my accident..I’m sad to say the majority of nurses in the spinal unit weren’t very nice at all..they made an already grim situation worse.. Actually Intensive Care had a doozy too.. I remember once in the middle of the night..here I was a guy who was active suddenly nailed to a bed on ventilator..and I finally had some progress..I could feel my body..but with it came massive nerve pain..I said to this particularly nurse even though I’m in lot of pain..at least I can feel..her reply was whispered into my ear..she said just because I can feel doesn’t mean you will move.. Nice stuff!!

Anyway..the care I receive in hospital now is superb..nurses look after me with exceptional care.. I am very charming though..does that work @Wolfmother ? :grimacing: You know..everyone looks after me really good there..Doctors, the wardsmen, and the brilliant Dresses who help me go to the toilet..tough job that!

It was a much needed change..it was a nightmare.. My mum was talking to the consellor there a couple of years ago..the consellor said they had to change..it was no environment for people who’s lives had suddenly changed.. So now when I go to hospital I’m not afraid as I know the nurses will take care of me..WONDERFUL

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
R
Hey my man..well I’ve had my time with nurses too..I’ve had the worst and I’ve had the best.. With me I am completely dependent on them..can’t do anything at all..from eating my food to pulling up my blanket at night to keep warm..to being put on a commode and showered..entirely at their mercy.. And I’ve got to say the quality and care of nurses..in my case North Shore Hospital..has improved out of sight! When I first had my accident..I’m sad to say the majority of nurses in the spinal unit weren’t very nice at all..they made an already grim situation worse.. Actually Intensive Care had a doozy too.. I remember once in the middle of the night..here I was a guy who was active suddenly nailed to a bed on ventilator..and I finally had some progress..I could feel my body..but with it came massive nerve pain..I said to this particularly nurse even though I’m in lot of pain..at least I can feel..her reply was whispered into my ear..she said just because I can feel doesn’t mean you will move.. Nice stuff!!

Anyway..the care I receive in hospital now is superb..nurses look after me with exceptional care.. I am very charming though..does that work @Wolfmother ? :grimacing: You know..everyone looks after me really good there..Doctors, the wardsmen, and the brilliant Dresses who help me go to the toilet..tough job that!

It was a much needed change..it was a nightmare.. My mum was talking to the consellor there a couple of years ago..the consellor said they had to change..it was no environment for people who’s lives had suddenly changed.. So now when I go to hospital I’m not afraid as I know the nurses will take care of me..WONDERFUL
Dont get me wrong, not every nurse is awesome. I have refused services from paticular nurses here and there.

It takes a special kind of person to be a nurse, I call those ones Angels.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, not every nurse is awesome. I have refused services from paticular nurses here and there.

It takes a special kind of person to be a nurse, I call those ones Angels.
Shit yeah..some are beautiful..you get to know who they are pretty quickly when you can’t do anything for yourself..and are entirely dependent on em..

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone hear about calls to privatise abc? Makes sense as it’s not neutral in any sense and completely bias. A neutral news network is meant to have some sort of objective views but it’s completely sided to one side. I think if the abc could get its act together and have say some lefties, some righties and different opinions, the channel will be better and give the public which it’s meant to be for, a better understand and completely objective outlook on matters.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone hear about calls to privatise abc? Makes sense as it’s not neutral in any sense and completely bias. A neutral news network is meant to have some sort of objective views but it’s completely sided to one side. I think if the abc could get its act together and have say some lefties, some righties and different opinions, the channel will be better and give the public which it’s meant to be for, a better understand and completely objective outlook on matters.
Only problem is my man is when tv stations become private it becomes about profit..which means advertising..when that happens those ‘investigating’ programs are compromised by their sponsors.. I suggest the ABC needs an overhaul that provides for all voices and opinions.. I feel it should still stay funded by the tax payer and therefore remains ours.. Anyway that’s my view.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only problem is my man is when tv stations become private it becomes about profit..which means advertising..when that happens those ‘investigating’ programs are compromised by their sponsors.. I suggest the ABC needs an overhaul that provides for all voices and opinions.. I feel it should still stay funded by the tax payer and therefore remains ours.. Anyway that’s my view.
Yeah I agree, like I said if they wanna keep it funded by tax payers, then at least have both opinions and views from both sides not just the dam left lol. I’d much prefer that happen over it getting privatised but If it won’t be more objective then they should privatise it. Whilst my tax payer money is pretty insignificant I’m not happy about my money going on that shit lol

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, like I said if they wanna keep it funded by tax payers, then at least have both opinions and views from both sides not just the dam left lol. I’d much prefer that happen over it getting privatised but If it won’t be more objective then they should privatise it. Whilst my tax payer money is pretty insignificant I’m not happy about my money going on that shit lol
We should get you a show.. ‘The Realist View’..how’s that sound? Lol! Ps..your tax pays for me too..so it’s never insignificant..always important!

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should get you a show.. ‘The Realist View’..how’s that sound? Lol! Ps..your tax pays for me too..so it’s never insignificant..always important!
Brooo don’t do me like that, I was purely referring to the show about my tax payer money hahahahaha.
I would love my own show bro, it will ironically be called realist safe space late night, featuring lefties and righties, whoever gets triggered first from facts is eliminated.
I’ll probe be the first to get triggered hahaha but not from facts, just intolerant to emotions portrayed as facts lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.