News The red flags the Bulldogs missed as legend questions whether Flanagan deal was a ‘mistake’

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeh parra chased hard and upped his value
Then Baz cried and we upper our offer. Then Elliott repaid Baz and the club with an off field scandal, should've sacked the **** then and there.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I could have sworn we operated under a reduced cap for a year or two after. I know players had to take a pay cut to get cap compliant but I thought we also had less to spend in the following seasons as part of the punishment.
No they took less to stay together to get under the cap. Some had to go & others didn't want to take the cut.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also Stimson and napa where red flags too

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will concern for mental health stop some players from being dropped?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No they took less to stay together to get under the cap. Some had to go & others didn't want to take the cut.
I found this:

Bulldogs chief executive Steve Mortimer and chairman George Peponis are struggling to retain all their off-contract players under a reduced salary cap of $2.9 million for 2004. Players took an 8 per cent pay cut at the end of last season, following the club being stripped of 37 competition points for massive breaches of the salary cap.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Red faces :rage: for the contracted Stimson 400k, Elliott 375k, Flanagan 300k
It would be a miracle if we get rid of them !!!

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Really Laurie Daley ?…how much did you waste on that rug your wearing!!! 1 million over three years for Flanagan is barely $340k a year and we have Averillo and BBO on a pittance. We really have spent nothing on our 7 yet. We also have a refund on Lewis and wakeham once their gone.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am sure Gus will be ruthless and brutal. He will axe players that are not FG standard, players that are on big coin. Baz will get the chop if he doesn't get results next season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
JACK FEATHERINGTON IS A ROOSTERS REJECT IF ANYONE IS WONDERING, MAKES SENSE I GUESS

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't find anything about us operating under a reduced cap after 2002. It's interesting though that the Broncos this season are similarly like the Bulldogs of 2002 except they have been allowed to shed players. Even though they won games by being over the cap like us in 2002 why were they not stripped of points fined & audited like us?
I think we know the answer to that one.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The salary cap is responsible for so many clubs poor roster management. It's ridiculous that clubs are forced into spending 95% of their cap and having to pay overs for players of lower quality.
100%

I will never understand why 95% of the cap must be used up, at the worst case scenario just tell the clubs that unused cap cannot be used for the following year instead of setting a limit like that, it means jokers like Elliot/Hoppa and until recently DWZ consistently got overs for talent well below their price range.

If they were serious about the cap then they would put a handle on the third party arrangements. Otherwise just scrap the damn thing altogether. If i was Politis i could arrange a number of great deals for the family members of star players without it ever drawing any notice and technically under the cap it's all legal